Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Purple's New Album "Now What!"

Deep Purple's New Album "Now What!"

After three spins, this album is great! I was able to hear an advance copy as I think it's officially released tomorrow. Anyway, I was happy to discover that the worst tune is the one that's already been released as a "single", Hell To Pay and even that has a wonderful lengthy organ solo by Don Airey. I'd also say that this is the proggiest Deep Purple album quite possibly since the 70s in some respects. There are lots of guitar and keyboard solos/interplay as we've come to expect, but there is also a wide array of keyboards, with several unexpected analog synth solos. I guess if I had to compare the new album to any Purple record in the past, it would be "Perfect Strangers". The tune "Uncommon Man" sounds like a combination of Purple, ELP and Pink Floyd! I can't really say where it rates in the overall DP canon, but it's much better than "Bananas" and "Abandon" and easily as strong as "Purpendicular" and "Rapture of the Deep", IMO.

"Now What" is quite a collection of diverse tunes, that range from heavy rock, to protoprog, funk and heavy blues. While the album was produced by Bob Ezrin, he really only unleashes the bells and whistles for "Vincent Price", which is a very cool and humorous track. Also, themes of mortality crop up from time to time in the lyrics. If this turns out to be Deep Purple's final album, they've gone out on a high note.

My interest in Purple has been renewed with the new album coming out tomorrow and an excellent VH-1 "Classic Behind The Music" airing over the weekend. Time to revisit the catalog and perhaps check out the new CD.

If it's as good as Perfect Strangers and especially, Purpendicular, one of their best IMO, I will check it out for sure. Thanks!

A friend of mine put this fb. I dig it.

"Rapture of the Deep"
    Wasn't impressed by this.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I bought the 2-disc version with a whole bunch of extra songs,and I love this album. I also like Bananas. I'm really wanting to get this one w/the dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    If it's as good as Perfect Strangers and especially, Purpendicular ...
    This absolutely got my attention too. Two of the best touchstones in the catalog for something to be compared to, as far as I'm concerned.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Weirdistan? Sounds like the next great vacation spot to me.

Now what?! (checkouttherestofthetunesonYT)
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

To me at least, they're just brand holders, not real DP. Without Blackmore it could work for awhile, but without Lord there's no Deep Purple. You have another incarnation of Gillan band. Or Gillan and Glover project. Gee Gees Their best was the first album without Blackmore, Purpendicular. Really a pleasant album, diverse and witty. After that, they began to pursue 'modern' metal sound, and it failed IMO. "Bananas" I think was rather useful attempt for retro hard rock, but Rapture disappointed with lack of bright themes.

Wasn't this supposed to come out today? Amazon is now saying May 14th.

I like this iteration of DP. Airey does a fine job on keys and I never was much of a Blackmore fan. Ian sings a lot better without relying on sheer youth and power.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I like this iteration of DP. Airey does a fine job on keys and I never was much of a Blackmore fan. Ian sings a lot better without relying on sheer youth and power.
    I like both the original DP once Ian Gillan came along and the current version. Steve and Don are fine additions to the bad. Anyone who hasn't heard Purpendicular, should. From what I've read, the band is a much happier group since Steve replaced Richie.

Loving this album so far. On my second listen. "A Simple Song" and "Uncommon Man" are fantastic, and the other songs are pretty decent as well. Even the two songs people weren't wild about here fit in well with the context. And I'm totally in agreement that the organ solo on "Hell to Pay" is tasty as heck, almost reminiscent of the Nice in their heyday.

Don
    Bought his solo album about a year ago or so, being just curious, what's it like. Nothing special. Just a garbage, if honest. I first knew his name from Colosseum 2, where he played some nice piano stuff. A lot has changed since then.

Bought his solo album about a year ago or so, being just curious, what's it like. Nothing special. Just a garbage, if honest. I first knew his name from Colosseum 2, where he played some nice piano stuff. A lot has changed since then.
    Have you heard K2 Tales of Triumph and Tragedy from 04, just great IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Have you heard K2 Tales of Triumph and Tragedy from 04, just great IMO.
    No I haven't. Thanks for recommendation.

Banned
    I only have Strange New Flesh from said band, and he also plays some killer Moog. He's also great on Black Sabbath's Never Say Die.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I only have Strange New Flesh from said band, and he also plays some killer Moog. He's also great on Black Sabbath's Never Say Die.
    Of Colosseum 2, I first heard Electric Savage, in '77, when it came out. Liked it very much then. Airey's playing I found fine. Later in 70s I listened SNF, which I liked too. Their third, and final album, called War Dance, is phenomenal. Airey and Moore duets were so refined and tasty.

Banned
    I'm going to get the new one, because Allmusic gave it four stars, while they gave Rapture Of The Deep three and a half. Their review of the new one was great, too. I think that if there's hope for Deep Purple missing two from their classic lineup, then there is also hope for Sabbath(who are only missing one from their classic lineup). In both cases, it seems that both bands have an outside producer that understands their work and what makes it classic.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I'm going to get the new one, because Allmusic gave it four stars, while they gave Rapture Of The Deep three and a half. Their review of the new one was great, too. I think that if there's hope for Deep Purple missing two from their classic lineup, then there is also hope for Sabbath(who are only missing one from their classic lineup). In both cases, it seems that both bands have an outside producer that understands their work and what makes it classic.
    I just read that review and it reads more like a press release than anything. I'm not saying it is, but I'm also not sure that that "reviewer" is talking about with:

Now What?! sounds exactly like Deep Purple in the band's prime, moving from swirling, massive soundscapes to tight, riff-laden sections and back again with a swaggering confidence that is really pretty amazing, particularly given the senior-citizen ages of the band's members. ... Some things really shouldn't change, and Deep Purple recognize that. They haven't changed a bit, and the group's many fans are going to find this release comforting in that regard.

Seriously? Listen to the sound samples. I don't hear that. Now, I'm not suggesting it's a bad album. I just find that review suspect, and recommend finding other reviews and weigh them all against each other.

I agree with Ronmac about that review. The new release, while containing some of the Deep Purple trademarks fans would come to expect, does not sound remotely like "Machine Head" or "Deep Purple In Rock". And that's a good thing in my book. They aren't rehashing past glories and Steve Morse isn't trying to be Ritchie Blackmore. They are forging ahead with their current lineup with what I feel is one of Purple's strongest releases in years. Having said that, for anyone who disliked Purpendicular or Rapture of the Deep, I don't know that the new album will change your mind.

I liked Rapture of the Deep. I liked Abandon more than Purpendicular. I've never been a huge fan of DP but I've always loved Steve Morse's playing a lot more than Blackmore's. This new album is by no means an auto-buy. I need to hear more before I decide if it's worth getting. That new single they released is underwhelming to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    That new single they released is underwhelming to say the least.

It's NOT typical. Even the single version of "Hell to Pay" edited out the cool organ bit. There's some really tasty instrumental work here, in "Above and Beyond," "Uncommon Man," "Weirdistan," "Vincent Price," and the other songs are pretty decent. "Bodyline".... eh, YMMV. It's not great, but it's fun in a funky sort of way. (It's stuck in my head, presently.)

There are no "Highway Stars" or "Speed Kings" at all. It ain't gonna happen. But there seems to have been a lot more effort to make a solid, memorable DP record this time than last time. I think it actually is the best since "Purpendicular," myself.

Yeah, that organ break makes "Hell To Pay" worth it and it's completely missing from the single version-do they even do singles anymore? Actually the organ solo in that song is one of the few moments that reminds me of early 70s Deep Purple; it almost sounds like a nod to the "Mandrake Root" jam they would go nuts on at the end of "Space Truckin'" during the 72 tour. I really like the Pink Floydian touches on the album too, which is very different for Deep Purple.

So, apparently, the so-called review seems to be a total misrepresentation by an hack.