Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Purple's New Album "Now What!"

I am not a big Deep Purple fan - I don't buy their releases but do have a small collection of their albums which I occasionally listen to. I don't even know the lineup shenanigans, but I absolutely love this new album. It's been on in the car since I got it this week. What struck me was how 'prog' some of the tracks are - in particular Uncommon Man, which sounds like an ELPowell outake. It's a real mix. Some of it sounds like what I expect Purple to sound like (Organs, cheesy lyrics and riffing.) and the rest is a real mix of influences... I haven't clue what real 'fans' of it, but I think it's the best Purple album I've heard. A couple of the tracks have a fair amount of 'symphonic' fake-orchestral sounds in them, and there's one track that veers towards Pink Floyd territory.

To be honest, most of my Purple was picked up cheaply on Amazon and HMV. A lot of what I picked up I found quite forgettable, to be honest - but not this one!

This one's my favorite:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, apparently, the so-called review seems to be a total misrepresentation by an hack.
    Pretty much so, yes.

I see this band in it's last formation is pretty unpopular here, no wonder though.

Banned
    I listened to Now What on YouTube the other night, and I was floored. Hiring Bob Ezrin was a great idea. Don channeled Jon through his organ playing, but why was there a guest keyboardist on some of the songs?

I like the last 4 enough to buy Now! What?,but I want deluxe ed. with the dvd.

That's Gillan on vocals? I didn't even recognize him. I think I'll stick to In Rock.
    Last edited by sonic; 05-07-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    That's Gillian on vocals? I didn't even recognize him. I think I'll stick to In Rock.
    I LOVE In Rock! But, if you're looking for the Gillan from 40-plus years ago, good luck.

That's Gillian on vocals? I didn't even recognize him. I think I'll stick to In Rock.
    That's because he's not Gillian.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    That's because he's not Gillian.
    Says so in the credits on wiki:
    Deep Purple
    Don Airey - keyboards
    Ian Gillan - vocals
    Roger Glover - bass
    Steve Morse - guitar
    Ian Paice - drums

Says so in the credits on wiki:
    Rael said 'Gillian', not 'Gillan." don't know if that's a typo or what. or Gillian Welch, whom Ian Gillan is certainly not

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Rael said 'Gillian', not 'Gillan." don't know if that's a typo or what. or Gillian Welch, whom Ian Gillan is certainly not
    Oh, OK.

Hell, I went 20 years thinking it was "Gillian" too.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Or Gillian Anderson?

it sounds like Ian Gillan to me. it even sounds like he has gray hair now; like he doesn't color it to look younger (Mick? Ozzy? Macca? )

back on track here, ImportCDs has a variety of 'Now What!" to choose from http://www.importcds.com/Search/Resu...urple+what+now

Banned
    it sounds like Ian Gillan to me. it even sounds like he has gray hair now; like he doesn't color it to look younger (Mick? Ozzy? Macca? )
    Better than having to wear a big fat bandana just to hide what you haven't got, I suppose.

Ian Gillan (did I spell it right?) is the real deal. He sounds better to me now than he did in the 80's. This is a band that has grown up with their fans. The music is different, but it still rocks hard. You want demons and dragons? There's a thread for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Better than having to wear a big fat bandana just to hide what you haven't got, I suppose.
    who does that?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    The new release, while containing some of the Deep Purple trademarks fans would come to expect, does not sound remotely like "Machine Head" or "Deep Purple In Rock". And that's a good thing in my book. They aren't rehashing past glories and Steve Morse isn't trying to be Ritchie Blackmore. They are forging ahead with their current lineup with what I feel is one of Purple's strongest releases in years.
    I finally got to hear Now What?! and I agree with this assessment. I like the album. I don't compare it with past albums but see it as the next step in Deep Purple's long evolution. I have been a fan since the late '60s and have way more Deep Purple albums than anyone but a fan would ever need. I am pleased to hear them still rocking after all these years. Any album that references Vincent Price in a song is all right by me.

My daughter saw that commercial on TV where kids are dicking around with iPads or tablets or something (I seldom pay attention to what they are selling) and are playing "Smoke On The Water" on the devices. Now she likes the song. I can't wait to play her the original from Machine Head, a record I bought on the day of its release in 1972.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    who does that?
    Gee, I dunno.

Roger Glover!

That organ break in "Hell to Pay". Jon Lord is smiling down from heaven!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^ I knew it was one of them Purple guys. I knew all of them by name 30 yrs ago. apparently not now.

I just gave this a casual listen. Pretty solid effort. I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, a couple of clunkers, and the lyrics tend to be trite, but that's nothing new.

I think its their best in a long time, maybe since Perfect Strangers (Purpendicular was good too). More proggy than previous efforts, interesting range of styles. The singles (or the pre-release tracks) are the worst thing on it. I'm really impressed like I haven't really been by their last few efforts.