Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Djam Karet - Reflections from the Firepool

FEATURED ALBUM: Djam Karet - Reflections from the Firepool

Review from Progarchives (Cesar Inca)
    This is the second Djam Karet official CD release (I'm not counting the cassette releases), and also my first DK experience ever. I was, and still am amazed at what I found in this album: solid interplaying, versatile performances, cleverly crafted jamming and soloing, atmospheres and basic harmonies built with good taste. The most recurring references hint at 80s KC and contemporary jazz-fusion, but it would be totally inaccurate to label Djam Karet as derivative: they manage to create a sound of their own while wearing (to a certain degree) their influences on their sleeve. Those who love exhaustively articulated music will probably tend to get bored with this stuff, but those of us who enjoy jams won't be bothered at all by the intensive use of instrumental expansions that these guys are so into.

The technical skill of all four musician is obvious, unhidden, but the band's overall sound is far from being based on the show-off of pyrotechnics: the album's repertoire, even in the harder passages, is mainly focused on the elaboration of ambiences and atmospheres. These guys are also capable of linking diverse musical ideas in a most fluid manner: the first four tracks are clear examples of that, since they are structured in a two-set frame. 'The Sky Opens Twice' starts in a semi-Crimsonian jazz-rock vein and ends up with a languid PF-like atmosphere, somehow predating 95-97 Porcupine Tree. Things get more Crimsonian in track 2 (a-la Fripp's soundscapes), this time with an added use of fusion-esque electronic amalgams (on keyboard and electronic percussion). 'Run Cerberus Run' is the rockiest number in the album, with a very frantic first section and a more syncopated yet equally powerful second section - the guitar leads flow from Fripp- to Holdsworth- tinged influences, and Osbourne shines with a special glow in his bass performance.

The ethnic-driven electronic stuff return with a vengeance for track 4, in which the synthesized sequences and electronic percussions play a major role: the floating dual guitar interventions and bass guitar washes work as nuances in the whole picture - regarding its massively atmospheric nature, this track reminds me of Ozric Tentacles at their most ethereal, but DK takes it to a slightly more disturbing level. 'Animal Origin' brings an air of serenity in a jazz rock context, elegantly delivered: this is definitely the more polished side of DK. 'All Doors Look Alike' moves even slower than the preceding track, but it definitely isn't calmer: in fact, this track seems to comprise a self- constrained tension partially released by the evocative sax leads (played by guest Max Mahoney). The way that the acoustic 12.string guitar and the soundscape guitar expand in parallel while keeping a distance from each other is particularly amazing: this stuff creates the idea of impending doom, like a storm waiting to burst out but eventually never getting that far.

'The Red Monk' kicks off with a Far East-inspired motif outlined by the synth, until a syncopated martial section gets in and stir things up; finally, a KC-like jam (yet another one) emerges, solidly sustained by Osbourne-Oken funky rhythm pattern. The closing title track sort of recapitulates the diverse musical sources that had been appearing along the preceding repertoire - a special mention goes to the eerie dual acoustic guitar flavours that come in the final passages. A great album, indeed - I recommend "Reflections from a Firepool" as a starting point for all prog fans who feel curious about Djam Karet.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I loves me some Karet! They were one of my early discoveries here at PE. I was specifically looking for highly creative, high quality instrumental rock music, and I was pointed at them. They had about an hour or two of free music on MP3.com, and that hooked me in. Reflections from the Firepool is one of their strongest releases. This plus Buring the Hard City, plus Suspension & Displacement is a great triptych by the early band. It also shows how the prog torch was carried in the late '80s and early '90s.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

This was also my first Djam Karet album. I actually saw a review for this album in Relix, accompanied by the original "instrument heads" press photo, and that grabbed my attention. When a used copy turned up at one of the local record stores, I asked to hear it on the in store PA, so they put on The Sky Opens Twice, and after about five minutes, I said "OK, I"ll take it". Been a fan ever since. And I'm glad to say, I actually got to see them live, at NEARfest 2001 (and if you listen carefully to the Live At NEARfest CD, you can hear my voice too!).

Not my favorite by them, but a good one none the less.

Steve Sly

This one and Suspension & Displacement are the ones that I return to.

This one is my favorite by them.

Might have to break it out and give it a spin this weekend. Yes, I do still literally 'spin' recordings in order to listen to them.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Right after I moved from NYC to LA I bought this at Round Sounds in Redondo when it first came out and loved it... went back and bought the one before it, their 2nd, The Ritual Continues right away and loved that even more! Bought their first, No Commercial Potential and was not as enamored.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Burning The Hard City tore my head off on first listen. I'd say that's their Relayer in Yes terminology. The Devouring is phenomenal.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Thank God there was a different covered used upon re-release.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Thank God there was a different covered used upon re-release.
    Different opinion: I think the reissue covers were boring and indistinguishable from one another. Not like the originals were all that great (especially BTHS and S&D, basically the same cover anyway) but there was at least some distinction. The reissues just looked like blurry photos of crumpled paper.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Once I Had a Dream”-Tonic/This Way

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I don't know the originals of the two you mentioned but the one for this album is so amateurish, sterile, and haphazard (not in a good way). I admit the re-released one isn't amazing by any stretch (though I do like it and don't see crumpled paper), but it's at least not amateurish or haphazard.

Again, only speaking of RFTF.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    By the time I was turned on to the band the reissue was the thing, and it was a few years before I saw the original art. I will say one thing for it: it has "indie" written all over it, and there is integrity to that. I like the reissue too, it kind of looks like indistinct angelic being visiting the primordial earth.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

In the 90s GFT music in England were great at promoting bands such as Djam Karet with the one-line descriptions in their catalogue. This album is not up with my favourite prog but it did have enough interest for me to listen quite a bit at the time, and is I think better than the later album The Devouring.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I will say one thing for it: it has "indie" written all over it, and there is integrity to that.
    Exactly: the art wasn’t amazing, but it had a low-budget charm that fit the music. Except for BTHS, I don’t think any of the reissues were an improvement, they looked like stock art that Cuneiform got a deal on. It’s one step away from all those Photoshop monstrosities favoured by prog metal bands.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

“It doesn't get any more...like this. Than this.” --Anders Lundquist

N.P.:“I Loved You Then, I Love You Now”-Gayle Moran

Good stuff, one of their best.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I like all the original artwork, even the BTHC/S&D ones
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?