Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manfred Mann's Earth Band !

Manfred Mann's Earth Band !

Heard the hits but no albums. They are playing at a venue close by later in the year so mite check them out ! Have just read some album reviews on Amazon & Messin' may be the one to get?

Nightengales and Bombers and Solar Fire

Out of Africa
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Jon Neudorf
    One of my favourite bands. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the following:

Nightingales and Bombers (one of the best albums ever made, IMO)
    Solar Fire (very close behind Bombers)
    Angel Station (more of a pop rock flavor, still lots of proggy bits though and some sublime melodies)
    Watch ("Circles" is one of my favourite Manfred tunes)
    The Roaring Silence (some find this one too mellow but I really like it. Worth it for the song "Questions", incredibly poignant)
    Somewhere in Afrika (very cool sound, an amalgamation of classic Manfred and African music)

And there are other good ones as well, ie The Good Earth, but I would a start with those. Have not listened to Messin' but have heard good things.

Regards,
    Jon
    Last edited by jlneudorf; 04-28-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Solar Fire by far, if you want it to be prog.
    Nightingales and Bombers would be a close second.

If you just want first class rock there are many more.

Nightingales and Bombers
    Solar Fire
    The Good Earth
    The Roaring Silence

Nightingales and Bombers and Watch are my two favourites - I"m not as big on Solar Fire as others so for one more I'd add Roaring Silence.

Banned
    What? No love for Glorified Magnified?

Nightingales & Bombers
    Good Earth
    Solar Fire
    The Roaring Silence
    Watch
    --------------------
    Messin'
    Glorified Magnified
    MM'EB debut
    Angel Station
    Soft Vengeance

Banned
    Mick Rogers is da man!!!

I like all of the above mentioned albums.

There is no Manfred Mann's Earth Band album called Out Of Africa. That was a book and a movie. The album is entitled Somewhere In Afrika. This is not meant as a criticism or complaint; I have made similar errors myself. Just wanted to set the record straight. For what it's worth, the record and cassette of Somewhere In Afrika contain the songs "Runner" and "Rebel" that are not included on the CD.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

Jon Neudorf
    Sorry my bad. Don't know what I was thinking. Will edit my above post.

Regards,
    Jon

Manfred Mann - You are - I am

Manfred Mann´s Earth Band - Visionary Mountains (Nightingales And Bombers

Last edited by Modry Effekt; 04-28-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Jon Neudorf
    My CD includes "Runner" and "Rebel". Released on One Way Records.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Nightengales and Bombers and Solar Fire
    +1
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Nightingales & Bombers
    Good Earth
    Solar Fire
    The Roaring Silence
    Watch
    --------------------
    Messin'
    Glorified Magnified
    MM'EB debut
    Angel Station
    Soft Vengeance
    Switch Angel Station with Good Earth and I'll agree with you 100%
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Nightingales and Bombers
    Solar Fire
    The Good Earth
    The Roaring Silence
    Definitely the albums to check out, QUESTION IS... does Manfred Mann even play this stuff anymore? Is this what he would hear if he goes to see MM live?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I read an interview with Mann recently (I think it was in PROG), and he was amazingly negative. He reminded me of Klaus Mueller, Klaus Schulze's "assistant," producer, etc. He was very critical of the public for how his music was received, blamed the marketplace for his lack of recent success, etc. It was a very interesting read, but weird how negative it was.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I read an interview with Mann recently (I think it was in PROG), and he was amazingly negative. He reminded me of Klaus Mueller, Klaus Schulze's "assistant," producer, etc. He was very critical of the public for how his music was received, blamed the marketplace for his lack of recent success, etc. It was a very interesting read, but weird how negative it was.
    I think I read that too. I recall he also was critical of his own 70's work, saying he was a lousy song writer and that's why he used Bruce Springsteen tunes. That's why I question if he really plays much of the cool proggy synth stuff he used to do, today. Seems like he's turned his back on it? Maybe I'm wrong.

Greetings,

Very timely post as I just remembered how much I enjoyed "Starbird" and added it to my iTunes library yesterday. (The memory was actually triggered by finally realizing that the chorus melody of Echolyn's "The End is Beautiful" reminded me a bit of the Stravinsky "Firebird" melody used in Mann's "Starbird.") I am only familiar with The Roaring Silence and was wondering what other albums might be worth checking out. Will have to dive into the recommendations here as soon as time permits.

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Greetings,

Very timely post as I just remembered how much I enjoyed "Starbird" and added it to my iTunes library yesterday. (The memory was actually triggered by finally realizing that the chorus melody of Echolyn's "The End is Beautiful" reminded me a bit of the Stravinsky "Firebird" melody used in Mann's "Starbird.") I am only familiar with The Roaring Silence and was wondering what other albums might be worth checking out. Will have to dive into the recommendations here as soon as time permits.

Cheers,

Alan
    Around 1977 I managed to buy the 45 rpm of Blinded By The Light and the B-Side is Starbird No.2,which isn't Starbird from the album. It's similar but not the same. I'm not sure if it's a bonus track on the latest cd release.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I think I read that too. I recall he also was critical of his own 70's work, saying he was a lousy song writer and that's why he used Bruce Springsteen tunes. That's why I question if he really plays much of the cool proggy synth stuff he used to do, today. Seems like he's turned his back on it? Maybe I'm wrong.
    The proggy stuff started getting played down with the lineup change after "Nightingales", though there are bits of it on all the Warners albums. I would say that the Trevor Rabin produced "Chance" is the least proggy. (And my fave album overall is "Get Your Rocks Off", the US version of Messin' with a slightly different/better song lineup).

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Greetings,

Cheers,

Alan
    FWIW - Nightingales, Solar Fire, Angel Station and Watch is what you should check out next.

Regards,
    Jon

The band is still performing with Mick and Manfred on board. I was so lucky to see them 4 times here in the U.S. in the 70s.

If you really want to hear some Manfred that'll knock your socks off, be sure to check out the two albums by his early 70's band "Chapter Three." Both Manfred Mann Chapter Three and Manfred Mann Chapter Three, Vol. 2 are early British prog classics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1TXNCX0-Ls