Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian Anderson as a lyricist

Ian Anderson as a lyricist

How do you rate him?

I think Mr. Anderson is a superb songwriter/musician in every facet. Composer/lyricist/arranger/instrumentalist, etc.

Maybe this is the reason why Jethro Tull has not been voted into the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (sorry for bringing that place up . Jan Wenner probably is/would be too intimidated by such a talented, erudite, intelligent and insightful guy as IA.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

I think he's very good. A very clever lyricist who likes to use double meanings and inventive wordplay.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    He's good at coming up with "proverb-like" phrases that mean something and are memorable, like "Life's a long song" and "To be mad is a sad way to be."

Truly a brilliant lyricist!

One of the true greats. A monster talent.

One of the very finest. Almost never a cliche in there.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Homburg View Post
    How do you rate him?
    One of the great lyricists of his generation and a personal favorite.

I always enjoyed how he could give the most erotic lyrics an air of class and sophistication.

One of the best.

Steve Sly

Count me in, he's a major influence on my writing style... he wrote a few bad lyrics- ironically, APP is my favorite Tull album but it has a few of his most cringe-worthy lyrics- but overall I would also rate him as one of the best lyricists in rock.

Sometimes (rarely, mind you) I like Ian's lyrics better than his music...

So I rate him very highly indeed.
    "He who binds to himself a joy doth the winged life destroy. But he who kisses the joy as it flies lives in Eternity's sunrise..." - William Blake

Ian Anderson is my favorite lyricist in prog, rock, folk, whatever. I rate him on the same level as Peter Hammill, Peart or Richard Thompson. Perhaps even above.

I can't think of anyone who writes lyrics I like better.

I don't really understand his lyrics but am still planning to found a religion based on his lyrics (The Church Of Re-regaining) to bring me in some serious $$$'s like LRH. Watch this space!

(oh, IAN Anderson, sorry...)

"My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout; I may make you feel, but I can't make you think" always struck me as brilliant.

I'd be interested to read what it is about his lyrics that people like.

For starters, it's great poetry and astute social commentary.

It's his clever use of the letter "t" that drew me in.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    It's his clever use of the letter "t" that drew me in.
    It's too bad he ended up overusing it, though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

He had me at "And if I sometimes sing to a cynical degree it's just the nonsense that it seems."

IA entertains you on 2 levels: musically & lyrically. An absolute winning combination in my book. Just like Al Stewart.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    He had me at "And if I sometimes sing to a cynical degree it's just the nonsense that it seems."
    Love it. That whole song (and album) is full of little lyrical gems. Wordplay abounds!

Probably the best lyrics I've ever heard, coupled with great music, make JT an unbeatable combo.

He had me at "sitting on a park bench" already in just those 5 words he'd covered the human condition and English pastoral.

I don't really pay a lot of attention to lyrics but Ian is very clever. More than anything he's just a great, all around musician. One of the best ever in prog/classic/rock.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I'm with the chorus who think he's first rate. From his social commentary, to his pastoral observations, to his bawdy humor, the man seldom mails-in a cliche, and seldom fails to be clever. He creates great characters in his lyrics with a strong voice and wry point of view.

Let me bring you all things refined:
    galliards and lute songs served in chilling ale.
    Greetings well met fellow, hail!
    I am the wind to fill your sail.
    I am the cross to take your nail:
    A singer of these ageless times.
    With kitchen prose and gutter rhymes.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.