Page 54 of 116 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2898

Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's not a genre, it's a nationality. It's done because the people doing it don't understand what genres are. Calling it by it's Italian name doesn't confer legitimacy either.
    Of course you're right, it's a more eloquent way to say Italian Progressive and nothing more than that. But it's funny that even such simple issues can create some confusion. What is Krautrock for example? Bands from Germany, or bands from all over the world that draw inspiration from the characteristic German rock sound?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's not a genre [...] It's done because the people doing it don't understand what genres are.
    B...B-but surely avant/Rio from Italy can't be RPI which isn't sympho and is never prog either but?

We must get to buttom ofit.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    B...B-but surely avant/Rio from Italy can't be RPI which isn't sympho and is never prog either but?

We must get to buttom ofit.
    With your usual perceptiveness, you are hitting at a crucial issue there Scrots. As I have explained and proven in my lauded diatribe "The Nutritional Value of Progressive Rock and respective Sub-Genres and Sub-Sub-Genres", symphonic prog correlates to Italian Pasta while Avant/Rio to Chinese Noodles. So what happens with Italian Avant/Rio? Is it pasta because of its nationality or noodles because of its taste? I believe the defining factor here is the time of cooking. So if you boil your Picchio Dal Pozzo for only 3 minutes and it's still tasty, I believe they have to be categorized as Avant noodlers, and specifically al dente Avant/Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    al dente
    It's the first occasion in a long time that I've actually felt an urge to rehear that second Dedalus album. It always reminded me of happy, lengthy visits to the dentist.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It's the first occasion in a long time that I've actually felt an urge to rehear that second Dedalus album. It always reminded me of happy, lengthy visits to the dentist.
    You should get their recent Box set with a lot more unreleased Happy Dentist Time Songs

I only know the first but I see your point (I mean the cover). But be sure to categorize it before you rehear it. Otherwise you won't enjoy.

Actually, this is rated 2.25 at Progarchives so it can very well be a masterpiece. I'll give it a listen.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 02-08-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Count me in for those who sport Homunculus Res. I am listening their 2nd album right now and it's more than excellent. There is a laid-back atmosphere a la Hatfield and the North, but with a fresher approach that reminds me of bands like Stereolab and High Llamas. Amazing that music like that goes completely under the radar. I can't wait for their new one, hope someone here keeps us posted for when it's out.
    It will be out next Thursday (15th Feb) (most likley)

I only know the first but I see your point (I mean the cover). But be sure to categorize it before you rehear it. Otherwise you won't enjoy.
    Oh, I always do that - and I've already decided that it's sympho-lympho masterwork kreativ enorm, a brand new prog subgenre with particular influence from really mystical lead-vocalists with flowerpot-tophat and facepaint-taints.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    With your usual perceptiveness, you are hitting at a crucial issue there Scrots. As I have explained and proven in my lauded diatribe "The Nutritional Value of Progressive Rock and respective Sub-Genres and Sub-Sub-Genres", symphonic prog correlates to Italian Pasta while Avant/Rio to Chinese Noodles. So what happens with Italian Avant/Rio? Is it pasta because of its nationality or noodles because of its taste? I believe the defining factor here is the time of cooking. So if you boil your Picchio Dal Pozzo for only 3 minutes and it's still tasty, I believe they have to be categorized as Avant noodlers, and specifically al dente Avant/Rio.
    This is possibly the best definition I've heard in years.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Of course you're right, it's a more eloquent way to say Italian Progressive and nothing more than that. But it's funny that even such simple issues can create some confusion. What is Krautrock for example? Bands from Germany, or bands from all over the world that draw inspiration from the characteristic German rock sound?

When I look at newer bands in my eyes and they say Krautrock, I expect them to be German, but that's not often the case. What makes a band German sounding and why other countries other then Germany make Krautrock music. Another defined genre that has confused me.

There are loads of other genres of music in this progressive music industry that has confused me. I was so much happier with simpler terms, such as Jazz rock/ Symphonic/ Neo/Crossover and Folk... These are areas of music I prefer over the others and I suppose now RPI can be added to my favourites list, while discovering new bands.

Rio/Avant/Garde/Ecclectic and Zuel, I'm kinda, sorta, not sure but thought I understood these types of genres, and still leaves me confused. Can only resolve this by the listening test!!!.........
    Last edited by noni; 02-08-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    When I look at newer bands in my eyes and they say Krautrock, I expect them to be German, but that's not often the case. What makes a band German sounding and why other countries other then Germany make Krautrock music. Another defined genre that has confused me.

There are loads of other genres of music in this progressive music industry that has confused me. I was so much happier with simpler terms, such as Jazz rock/ Symphonic/ Neo/Crossover and Folk... These are areas of music I prefer over the others and I suppose now RPI can be added to my favourites list, while discovering new bands.

Rio/Avant/Garde/Ecclectic and Zuel, I'm kinda, sorta, not sure but thought I understood these types of genres, and still leaves me confused. Can only resolve this by the listening test!!!.........
    Don't waste too much energy on this. The important thing is that you discover the music you enjoy to listen.

The rest is dross.

Of course you're right, it's a more eloquent way to say Italian Progressive and nothing more than that.
    I think part of what moved PA to invent it as a subgenre, is the perceived quality of the Prog-Rock from Italy. It required special notation, set apart as special. And so the anointing as a genre. Mix that with lack of understanding what a genre is, and you have a lovely recipe for revisionism and misinformation.

Don't waste too much energy on this. The important thing is that you discover the music you enjoy to listen.

The rest is dross.
    Generally don't, but since I liked prog music since the early 70's, the first bands being ELP, Genesis and Camel. My prog collection is huge and have most bands albums I like, that is... So with all these, sub-sub genres, it would be interesting to know my music...

Garbato (thanks to Andrea P.)

^ Excellent!

Yet another Italian band:

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It will be out next Thursday (15th Feb) (most likley)
    So any link yet? I am on a stakeout here.

So any link yet? I am on a stakeout here.
    Sadly no, that was the info given by the band. No further information by the lable or the band available.
    Reliable release info is very hard to come by for Italian bands nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Yet another Italian band
    Thanks for the info, never heard about them before.

New Reale Accademia di Musica album from 28 Frebruary.

reale_accademia_di_musica_angeli_mutanti_2.jpg

^ Now we're talkin'!

Surprising Comeback. Some Pop leanings but still sounds good.

After being postponed for almost a year: Live Anthology by Malibran

https://maracashrecords.bandcamp.com...live-anthology

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Time to revive this thread. I searched the forum but did not see Aliante being mentioned here, other than in reference to Le Orme's song. Here is a very cool track off the new release "Forme Libere":

Aliante is a trio comprising of Enrico Filippi (piano and keyboards), Alfonso Capasso (bass) and Jacopo Giusti (drums) - TheH and other experts would recognize the last two as members of the Egoband.

RYM has an album (on High Tide) by a band called Aliante from 1997 which Mauro Moroni has rated, so it may be the same band.

Did a bit of research on Filippi but the only thing I could find on him is a musical project called AdE that did mostly Genesis covers.

Really loving this album a lot!... Posted a seperate thread on this band

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    Really loving this album a lot!... Posted a seperate thread on this band