Page 23 of 116 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    base kick drum is shallow. barely registers as a kick, more like a snap. And it is not the mastering, as there is plenty of low freq spectrum on the record. Base guitar is sounding pretty reach, though I'd expect more fret buzz from a "metal" band. Also the cymbals are low in the mix, so these are fading out unnaturally, more like samples. Otherwise - all good. They'll rectify all that on Eidos (Cristian said).
    Not that much into tech details but the overall feeling I have is that it sounds very good "Eidos" is one of my most anticipated records of the year, cannot wait to listen to it

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Great live Video feat. old and new italian Prog bands

Osanna, Il Tempio delle Clessidre, Aldo Tagliapietra (Le Orme), Locanda delle Fate, PropheXy feat. Richard Sinclair

Awesome, thanks for posting!

Aldo Tagliapietra's surname can be translated as "dust particle." Which led to an unintentionally hilarious record review at another Prog site that I won't name here, in which the lazy reviewer Google-translated the credits to the album, resulting in:

Aldo Dust Particle - vocals, bass and guitar

I still get a kick out of that one.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

John de Leo seems now to be the offical new singer of Banco.

http://www.rockol.it/news-644264/ban...ri-john-de-leo

Quote Originally Posted by XanaFloyd View Post
    Not that much into tech details but the overall feeling I have is that it sounds very good "Eidos" is one of my most anticipated records of the year, cannot wait to listen to it
    Totally with you on that. Cant wait for Eidos

chalkpie
    Paolo Angeli "Nita L'Angelo Sul Trapezio" (ReR)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/bzp2

Not sure if this has been mentioned here yet, but this is a pretty exceptional album. Very eclectic, yet definitely underscored by Italian folk.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Paolo Angeli "Nita L'Angelo Sul Trapezio" (ReR)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/bzp2

Not sure if this has been mentioned here yet, but this is a pretty exceptional album. Very eclectic, yet definitely underscored by Italian folk.
    Awesome Album, totaly love it. The German nonsense ramblings on one of the tracks always make me laugh.

Anything new from Runaway Totem? I've been really enjoying their 2007 release "Esameron".

chalkpie
    Awesome Album, totaly love it. The German nonsense ramblings on one of the tracks always make me laugh.
    Ha - to me it just sounds like German

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Anything new from Runaway Totem? I've been really enjoying their 2007 release "Esameron".
    They have released a 2CD live Album this year. That one sounds really great.

Another track from the new Kingcrow album "Eidos" available...and yes, it is beautiful! http://bravewords.com/news/kingcrow-...ame-pace-track

picked up two DFA albums the other day. Cant wait for a prolonged listening session. What do you guys think of them? Wetting my appetite...
    Last edited by sergio; 06-04-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XanaFloyd View Post
    Another track from the new Kingcrow album "Eidos" available...and yes, it is beautiful! http://bravewords.com/news/kingcrow-...ame-pace-track
    like how tension is starting to build up around 3:20 mark, wish it was longer tho! And would have been better if track developed in that direction

Don't know about Cd and vinyl, but digital download of Cherry Five "Il pozzo dei giganti" was released yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by mogilevs View Post
    Don't know about Cd and vinyl, but digital download of Cherry Five "Il pozzo dei giganti" was released yesterday.
    You never know, Black Widow is one of the worst lables if it comes to communication. Just because they don't mention it, doesn't mean it isn't
    released yet. But normaly it takes several weeks after the release before their albums hits any distribution channel.

But Black Widow does not do any downloads at all AFAIK!!!! Where did you see the download?

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    picked up two DFA albums the other day. Cant wait for a prolonged listening session. What do you guys think of them? Wetting my appetite...
    They're among my favorite "modern" (really post 1990) bands from any country. My favorite is their second album, Duty Free Area, but all three are great and well worth owning.

I'll never forget seeing them at NEARFest 2000. I didn't know their stuff that well at that time, but it came across so perfectly live. Still can't believe their keyboard player is gone and that we'll not get any more music from this sublime group.

Bill

But Black Widow does not do any downloads at all AFAIK!!!! Where did you see the download?
    I've seen it at amazon and then also found at google play
    Earlier I had seen Delirium and Spettri in the same places. Don't know about Itunes since it's not available in my country.

Quote Originally Posted by mogilevs View Post
    I've seen it at amazon and then also found at google play
    Earlier I had seen Delirium and Spettri in the same places. Don't know about Itunes since it's not available in my country.
    Very pecuilar. They are offering just one of the three tracks of that album (same on Google Play).

Black Widow never mentioned that they do Downloads...

Very pecuilar. They are offering just one of the three tracks of that album (same on Google Play).
    It, (Cherry V), is up in full on Spotify

Going to have a listen later on

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

First listen was somewhat disappointing

Firmly Neo, rather than retro

No Goblinesque keys, or the Squire like bass of the original LP

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

L'estate di San Martino - ESM#40 out on 19th
    Osanna Palepolitana out on 16th

It looks like Ezra Winston are recording a new Album...

It also Looks like Metamorfosi - PURGATORIO was just released

PURGATORIO_copertina.jpg

Osanna Palepolitana out on 16th
    Fantastic

In order to celebrate, I decorated the microwave with two of RPI's finest

RPI.JPG

BG

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Paolo Angeli "Nita L'Angelo Sul Trapezio" (ReR) [...] this is a pretty exceptional album. Very eclectic, yet definitely underscored by Italian folk.
    One of my 20-or-so fave albums from the past 15 years; I wrote one of my most rewarding recensions ever on this title when it first came out (about 12 years ago, I believe?). It's an intensely layered piece of music on every possible level, in that it essentially structures a full concept programme in which "songs" appear more as contextualizations of episodes, snapshots or fragments as in narrative scenarios rather than actual "parts" of the work. This is reflected in the radically varying mode of palette in not only instrumentation or compositional approach but actual sound production between the segments. One of the highlights occurs when the narrative passes a section of Sardinian folkers moaning a tune in a street with a backing consisting of some accordeon-like affair and then added with the background noise of a lively taverna - submitted to an aural mix that truly makes you experience it as if you're actually present. Although 70 mins plus in length, this is really one of those very rare occasions where you're infinitely rewarded if you take the time to sit down and listen to the whole thing. One of the finest "headmovies" I encountered anywhere near 'rock' music, I think.

Angeli has several highly interesting works, btw. That guy is one of a kind.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Rovescio della Medaglia anounced a return to Prog Rock and started a crowd founding campaign.

http://www.musicraiser.com/projects/...mthe-new-album