Page 90 of 116 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 2884

Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

Just listened to Melting Clock on vinyl yesterday, very enjoyable.

Il Paradiso degli Orchi

Ellesmere

I was going to order their album, but they're not selling on Bandcamp, just the BTF.it site. I went there and added it to the cart, added a few more since I was there, and went to pay...The postage was effin' ridiculous. Total deal breaker. I clicked out and that was that.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I was going to order their album, but they're not selling on Bandcamp, just the BTF.it site. I went there and added it to the cart, added a few more since I was there, and went to pay...The postage was effin' ridiculous. Total deal breaker. I clicked out and that was that.
    They sell download at AMS bandcamp
    https://ellesmere-ams.bandcamp.com/album/wyrd

Quote Originally Posted by mogilevs View Post
    Yes, but Air Music only..

Quote Originally Posted by mogilevs View Post
    I have no interest in a download when a CD is available, unless it's in conjunction with the CD.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Count me in as looking forward to a new Melting Clock release. I enjoyed "Destinazioni" a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Just listened to Melting Clock on vinyl yesterday, very enjoyable.
    Thank you very much! We'll try not to disappoint you!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have no interest in a download when a CD is available, unless it's in conjunction with the CD.
    I'll wait until Syn-Phonic gets it in stock and pay the "Priority" shipping rate of $8, along with several other CD's in the total order. This release sounds like a real winner from Ellesmere, for certain.

No. 4 of Rome Pro(g)ject

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    If you like the Il Volo albums, it may be worth your while to check out the solo albums Alberto Radius and Mario Lavezzi released immediately after the band broke up (Che cosa sei and Iaia, respectively) They’re kind of “what we got in the divorce settlement” albums, as Iaia features a lot of the ex-members of Il Volo and Che cosa sei features...the EMS guitar synth/distortion device. The latter sounds really peripheral until you realize a) those things were ludicrously expensive and b) it was kind of a defining sound of the Essere o non essere album. Anyway, both albums, while definitely leaning more towards the pop side of things, definitely still exhibit an Il Volo type of sound. The classic track off of Iaia is “Le tue ali,” also remade by Anna Oxa later on in the 80s.

If you like Battiato’s later “pop” stuff, you could try his distaff counterpart, Alice, a kind of art-pop diva analogous to the likes of Kate Bush. She even duets with Peter Hammill on one of her albums! Some of Matia Bazar’s 80s stuff has an interesting art-pop/new wave feel to it. But even a few of their 70s albums has the occasional prog-adjacent track, like “Tram” off of Tournee. I suppose that’s not all that surprising for a band that has members from Museo Rosenbach and J.E.T.

Thanks some good calls there and I'm pretty familiar with all of those people. Unfortunately, they are all in their 60s and I was hoping to find some newer music as I mentioned

Italy had a decent amount of prog impact in the pop world in past decades (Corrado Rustici is another guy who got around a lot) but I was hoping to find some music from the past 10-15 years which wasn't necessarily prog but would be of some interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    It's difficult to give you an answer because there's a catch on the part about "able to play more than 3 shows". I will try to explain.
    There are very few venues or festivals that are geared toward prog, and the organizers that hold the reins in these events are not prone to take risks. This means that they tend to always call the same bands that are playing since the seventies (like BMS, Il Balletto di Bronzo, New Trolls and some others) cause they know that this grants them a little audience that mostly follow these bands since back then. They are not really interested in taking risks by calling some new bands, and even in bigger festival you will not found them as headliner. I've taken part in prog festivals that had Pink Floyd cover bands (bad ones, too) as headliners while bands like "Il segno del comando" or "panther & c" or us where the opening acts. This entails that there are not many new bands in Italy that get to play more then a couple time every year, at best.

If I should mention some of the older bands I would point to PFM, BMS, New Trolls and Area as the ones the obtained the greatest renown, followed without a particul order by Il Balletto di Bronzo, Le Orme, La Locanda delle Fate and Goblin.
    In more recent years I would mention Il Tempio delle Clessidre, Unreal City, Basta!, and some of the project by Zuffanti (he also has a easier time cause he has means and knows people to help his projects along), but with hugely less success and renown that the glories of the past: the greater difference is that in the past the renown of those band trascended the prog scene, while now we are tied in it and no one outside this very limited genre knows about us.
    You have to take into account also a thing that might sound strange: all of us that create prog in Italy have a much greater audience OUTSIDE Italy. This is tied to the first point I made, because since the organizers tends to always call bands from the past that still play the same songs in the same way as they did in the seventies the younger generations think of progressive as an old and dead kind of music; sadly we don't generally have the means to go play outside Italy.

Thanks for the reply which tracks pretty closely with my experience in Italy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Some bass heavy stuff by Daniele Sollo bass Player of Höstsonaten (with help by Luca Scherani and other bandmates)

This album is actually very nice. Here is a longer track from it:

Yeah!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Bloody Days sounds good.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Something different some Psych Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Thank you very much! We'll try not to disappoint you!
    Just ordered Melting Clock. You got supernova after-flash with that epic Destinazioni!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Just ordered Melting Clock. You got supernova after-flash with that epic Destinazioni!
    Welcome back Glissadevil, missed you..

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Wow, so kind! Thank you very much, I hope you'll be satisfied by it!

I don't think this band was mentioned here: Chester Gorilla

Julius Project - Cut the Tongue (with members of Maxophone and Jumbo and Richard Sinclair) out now
    Audio samples from the album:

Waiting

I like Nodo; However, Greg (proprietor Synphonicmusic) told me that he couldn't get Sonnar until early January. I can't tolerate the fifteen dollar Bandcamp shipping price, so I'll order seven plates of Italian, from Greg in January for a $5~ shipping price.

I feel bad for my Australian friends. Shipping can be intense.

Marco Ragni with his 10th album, "If". Bjorn Riis appears on several sogns.