Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

Quote Originally Posted by Ribo View Post
    Lots of great stuff coming out of Italy these days, including new music from some classic prog acts. Case in point, Alphataurus' recent album 'AttosecondO'.
    I absolutley love this record!!! There are lots of classic bands returning, and almost all those releases are on a surprising high level.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I absolutley love this record!!! There are lots of classic bands returning, and almost all those releases are on a surprising high level.
    2 bands who need to return - Semeramis and Cervello

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    2 bands who need to return - Semeramis and Cervello
    Yeah, I would love those two to return .

In the case of Semiramis it's very unlikley cause Michele Zarillio has made quite a career in another style of music in Italy-

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Everything Yugen does is great, IMHO - if impossibly dense and demanding.
    SKE's 1000 Autunni is arguably my single fave recent Italian disc, with Chance:Risiko's album following right behind and Areknames' Love Hate Round Trip thereon.

Both Calomito releases are superb, Slivovitz are more squarely "chamber-jazz", but will appeal to Calomito buffs. Pandora are good, as are the reformed Syndone and Mad Crayon.
    Agree with this, also check out

Not A Good Sign
    Homonculus Res - Canterbury style new release
    Empty Days

"7 songs, 7 instrumental pieces. 7 vocal melodies hanging on a delicate acoustic texture, and 7 brief abstract scenes. With the collaboration of various Yugen’s members, Francesco Zago focuses on song form and lyrics, building around Elaine Di Falco’s unique voice a sonic thread made with acoustic and electric guitars, piano (Maurizio Fasoli), vibes (Jacopo Costa) percussions (Giuseppe Olivini) and thin layers of electronics (Paolo Botta, Pat Moonchy). Two famous pieces by John Dowland complete the cd, reminding the distant but crucial legacy of English songs from XVII century. A delicate collection, sometimes dark and forlorn, with an extreme attention to timbrical and dynamical nuances and musical breath."

Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Empty Days sure sound promising.

Mauro Montobbio has reformed Narrow Pass with a completley new line up (he played with Il Tempio delle Clessidre members latley),
    including original "Eris Pluvia" vocalist (and guitarist) Alessandro Serri.
    Montobbio was actually Serris replacement on guitar in "Eris Pluvi"a as he left to form "The Ancient Veil".

Looking forward to what will come out of this, cause "Rings of earthly Light" was a favourit of mine in the early 90s.

Maxophone will release a (likely) CD/DVD of their Tokyo concert in april this year on Aerostella soon.

I hope the Il Rovescio della Medaglia concert from that Italian Prog Festival will also be released (only dreaming)

New album by one of the strongest bands out of Italy "Alibi Filosofico" by Pandora (out next week!)
    (feat. Arjen A. Lucassen on this track)

DPERD (they don't consider themselves to be Prog, but I think they are damm close)

Oteme (overlooked gem from 2011)

Gran Turismo Veloce just "lost" their bass Player. Band is down to two members.
    Hope that doesn't affect the new Album to much (can't wait).

Karmamoi (fresh mix of Prog, Pop and Metal)

Laviŕntica (gentle Prog)

TheGeneration (fresh blood)

Whats still to come in the next months:

Egonon - ? (still in the Studio)
    Conqueror ?
    Breznev Fun Club (announced by Altrock no further info)
    Sophya Baccini's Aradia - Big Red Dragon (feat. members of Ange, Curved Air, TdC, Osanna etc.)
    VIII Strada - Babylon
    Forza Elettro Motrice (FEM Prog Band) - ?
    THREE MONKS - the Legend of the Holy Circle
    Astralia (working on material, unlikley release this year)
    Gran Turismo Veloce (working on material, just lost their bass Player so unlikley release this year)
    GOAD - The Silent Moonchild
    IL SEGNO DEL COMANDO - Il Volto Verde
    Aurora Luneare - st
    Il Fauno di Marmo (ex The Rebus very good rough Retro Band)
    FABIO ZUFFANTI (solo Album announced for early 2014)
    Randone "Canzoni sulla Via" (December)
    Ranest Rane - A SPACE ODYSSEY - PART ONE - MONOLITH (feat. Hogarth and Rothery)
    Corde Oblique - Per le strade ripetue (Nov.)
    Narrow Pass ? (not likley this year feat. original Eris Pluvia (male) vocalist)
    Karmamoi - Odd Trip (Oct.)

Alphataurus are obviously working on some rare tracks (70s ???)

New album by one of the strongest bands out of Italy "Alibi Filosofico" by Pandora (out next week!)
    (feat. Arjen A. Lucassen on this track)

I really liked this one, thanks for posting!
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

In the case of Semiramis it's very unlikley cause Michele Zarillio has made quite a career in another style of music in Italy-
    I understand that the Semiramis reunion already happened, for a one-off concert a few years ago.

Pandora, mentioned above, kind of sound to me like the Italian, male answer to Ars Nova. So seeing Arjen Lucassen guesting on one of their albums is no big surprise.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:musique du café

Quote Originally Posted by Ribo View Post
    Lots of great stuff coming out of Italy these days, including new music from some classic prog acts.
    including Aldo Tagliapietra's new album L'Angelo Rinchiuso. basically, classic Le Orme.

Garden Wall (Avant Metal Jazz Fusion etc. Band from the early 90s that started more in a Neo prog vein)

DISSOI LOGOI (Avant Jazz Folk etc. band appears in very different formations from more acoustic to electric (still out there)

Pelican Milk (somewhat like PF)

Some (very) slightly off track ones

Pane (very delicate band. Italian poetry with minimalistic folky prog backing (some very Banco or Area like moments (love this stuff)

Paolo Rigotto (rather Pop in basic but with lots of weird and arty elements)

Cesare Basile (singer songwriter with elaborate ideas)

Perhaps not the best of the newer bands, but very good imho.

ATTO IV

Gecko's Tear

Evil Wings
    Last edited by MJBrady; 09-29-2013 at 12:19 AM.

These are not new, as they may not be active anymore to my knowledge:

A Piedi Nudi

Nodo Gordiano

Jetlag

Hi MJBrady,

thanks for posting those vids. I'm personally not to much in Prog Metal but there are quite some good band in that style from Italy.
    Bands like Eldritch and Pathosray can easlily hold up to the international standard.

I bought Evil Wings debut back in the early 90s, so for an Italian band it's quite amazing that they are still out there (without ever getting much attention).
    Gecko's Tear where rather special with their jazzy aproach, but they are most likley history now.

I really liked "A Piedi Nudi" and "JetLag" who sadly disappeared after only one (fantastic) Album. I like Nodo Gordinos debut with Papotto, but I think their later
    albums couldn't hold up. From these three only Nodo Gordinos might be still active (status unclear).

What a terrific thread this is!
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Gran Turismo Veloce ("new" track by on of my favourite bands)

Collettivo Ginsberg (like The Doors gone Avant Prog, full album out at 20th Oct.)

Amigdala (good Jazz Prog)

TheHsaid:
    Hi MJBrady,

thanks for posting those vids. I'm personally not to much in Prog Metal but there are quite some good band in that style from Italy.
    You know I thought about that as I looked through my post 90's Italian prog, and these bands are hardprog, but not metal, I know Italy has a great amount of progmetal bands, none of which I would have posted here, bands like Astra, Zen, Empty Tremor, Arkhe, Heart of Sun, Mind Key, Moonlight Comedy, Ora Nombro, Soul Secret, Scenario, etc, etc, etc. The vids pretty much display the bands overall sound, which is somewhere in between the genres don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    TheHsaid:

You know I thought about that as I looked through my post 90's Italian prog, and these bands are hardprog, but not metal, I know Italy has a great amount of progmetal bands, none of which I would have posted here, bands like Astra, Zen, Empty Tremor, Arkhe, Heart of Sun, Mind Key, Moonlight Comedy, Ora Nombro, Soul Secret, Scenario, etc, etc, etc. The vids pretty much display the bands overall sound, which is somewhere in between the genres don't you think?
    Sometimes hard to draw the lines between certain styles. Many Italian Prog band use harder elements (e.g. VIII Strada, Minstrel etc.) without being metal. Personally I don't mind
    heavier influences if they are not the main element.

I own some stuff from all the bands you posted, except from Atto IV, and I like them all.

Speaking of harder influences:

Black Jester (who seem to have reformed)

Minstrel (band with cool concept albums)

VIII Strada

Here is one I haven't seen mentioned:

BTW, this thread has turned me on to some excellent stuff, especially Ingranaggi Della Valle, Il Cerchio d'Oro and La Coscienza De Zeno. Thanks!
    Last edited by Skeptrick; 09-29-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Some releases I look forward to:

Corde.jpg

BigRedDragon.jpg

VoltoVerde.jpg

New offical Video by Corde Oblique