Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

  1. #1301
    Member Zalmoxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

    Thanks for the info, still have to get their first two albums. Now I have to get three ones
    The first one is not that good, but the second one is fantastic. I have yet to hear the 3rd one.

  2. #1302
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    Something new by Old Rock City Orchestra (Retro Rock/ Prog)


  3. #1303
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    Marco Ragni (End of February)


  4. #1304
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    Runaway Totem - Traccia (new CD/DVD)


  5. #1305
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    Leviathan (Bee yourself..) are planning a Comeback...

  6. #1306
    That list of upcoming albums is an impressive list H. I'm gonna set aside a 2018 Italian Album fund.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 01-29-2018 at 12:39 PM.

  7. #1307
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    That list of upcoming albums is an impressive list H. I'm gonna set aside a 2018 Italian Album fund.
    Thank you, i will post an updated list soon. Although it won't be very different to the last one, things are working very slow for many of those bands
    (some albums on the list should have been out for 4-5 years now)

  8. #1308
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    Although I would have liked the two following two albums by them, still very welcome reissues

    "Lassa StÓ La Me Creatura" (March) and Spirito bono (July) by "Canzoniere del Lazio" will be finally out on CD! (one of the still uncovered great bands from the 70s)

  9. #1309
    Best Italian prog for me is Homunculus Res number 3, coming midway through February! It's like an Italian Beatles meet Canterbury produced by George Martin! I told Dario it's my favorite record of the last 20-30 years! Take me as a grain of salt but it's a really great cd!

  10. #1310
    ALIANTE (meaning GLIDER in English) are a real surprise in Italian music. They are creative, careful, never dispersive and never excessive. They have clear ideas and the right talent to put them into practice. They know perfectly how to play with melody and with harmonious twists to create evocative and emotional enchanting music. A new sound sensation that smells of art and cultivated music without being snobbish. Just a gliding and planing flight, calm, reflective, with a few moments of slight madness in a faster descent can fully describe (or at least give the same kind of sensations) of the music you can hear in this album of ALIANTE. Unpretentious music that wants to open the boundaries of progressive rock to end in wide open skies, where the melody is absolute master and at the same time a travel companion of rhythms and unusual tempos.

    If moog solos were executed by a sax we could call it “jazz-fusion” …. And instead, the bass, keyboards, and drums sounds lead us to a symphonic-prog music, brand new but without forgetting the origins. A flight made of bright and breath-taking sounds, echoes of drums with almost ethnic sounds and the cross-beat of a loud bass. And so enjoy this freedom: for ALIANTE, your seat belts are not compulsory.

    Aliante - Forme Libere (2017)

    1509605426_1509289821_cover0.jpg
    Last edited by noni; 01-31-2018 at 04:45 AM.

  11. #1311
    Member Zalmoxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    395
    ^
    Agree, I really liked that album. Cool cover too. Two of the nicer songs on the album:




  12. #1312
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    Oscillazioni Alchemico Kreative (O.A.K.) are not only one of the best Jethro Tull cover bands (who are often joined by former JT members),
    they also do really good original stuff. David Jackson, Maartin Allcock and Richard are among the guests on their new album.




  13. #1313
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,759
    that Aliante is one of many good albums from 2017
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  14. #1314
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I ordered the Cervello CD from Neolith for about Ç 28 including shipping.

    The strange thing is that their website doesn't seem very interesting, but the monthly email with new (re-)releases is very informative.
    The email-address is on their site: http://www.neolithrecords.com/home.htm
    It took some time but I managed to get one for 24 EUR, and I'm very glad I did.
    Awesome sounding album!

  15. #1315
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretz View Post
    Best Italian prog for me is Homunculus Res number 3, coming midway through February! It's like an Italian Beatles meet Canterbury produced by George Martin! I told Dario it's my favorite record of the last 20-30 years! Take me as a grain of salt but it's a really great cd!
    You're the 2nd person I know who swears by Homunculus Res. I'll check it out.

    Seems "H" is neck deep in the Italian scene. I purchased around fifteen 2017 Italian albums. If 2018 is as strong that's another 15-20 albums. Hopefully H can narrow a list down to 10-12 albums of early 2018 Winter-Spring Italian that H is looking forward to or already knows is fantastic...That way I can audition that batch before he moves on to The Italian Summer Crop. I like that Jethro Tullish band OAK. Never heard of them.

    The crazy thing? I beginning to like the modern Italian prog more than the classic. So shoot me!
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 02-05-2018 at 03:45 PM.

  16. #1316
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    You're the 2nd person I know who swears by Homunculus Res. I'll check it out.

    Seems "H" is neck deep in the Italian scene. I purchased around fifteen 2017 Italian albums. If 2018 is as strong that's another 15-20 albums. Hopefully H can narrow a list down to 10-12 albums of early 2018 Winter-Spring Italian that H is looking forward to or already knows is fantastic...That way I can audition that batch before he moves on to The Italian Summer Crop. I like that Jethro Tullish band OAK. Never heard of them.

    The crazy thing? I beginning to like the modern Italian prog more than the classic. So shoot me!
    Like you, been buying a lot of Italian music.. Both refreshing and interesting music from Italy right now.

  17. #1317
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    New possible releases list (some might not happen or should have been out for years now).
    Of course I'm getting old and forgot a lot releases that I was aware of..

    Asgard "Ragnar°kkr"
    Astralia
    Banco del Mutuo Soccorso Orlando
    Black Jester
    Conqueror (recording)
    DAAL Decalogue of Darkness
    DAAL (second project)
    Egonon In Vitro (album is finished, they are looking for a lable)
    Entity (reworked (unreleased) early album (just a maybe))
    Falena
    FEM Prog Band
    Fonderia
    Gran Turismo Veloce
    Hollowscene (former Baanau)
    Homo Ex Machina
    Homunculus Res "Della stessa sostanza dei sogni"
    H÷stsonaten Ancient Mariner Part 2
    Il Bacio della Medusa (in the studio right now)
    Il Fauno Di Marmo
    Il Giardino Onirico
    Il Paradiso degli Orchi
    Il Segno del Comando
    Imagin'Aria E X E L I G E R E
    La Batteria March
    La Bottega Del Tempo A Vapore
    La Tore dell'Alchimista (if they ever finish it :
    Lamana´f
    LatteMiele 2.0 (a spin off from Latte Miele)
    LaviÓntica
    Logos
    Mad Crayon (in the works for over 2 years now)
    Malibran 'Live Anthology' (1994-2001)
    Mauro Montobbio (Narrow Pass)
    Melting Clock (2018)
    Moongarden
    Murple
    Not a Good Sign
    Old Rock City Orchestra
    Psycho Praxis
    RanestRane Starchild
    SKE 1001 Autunni (Remaster of 1000 Autunni plus live album)
    Syndone Mysoginia
    Una Stagione all'Inferno Il Mostro di Firence

    P.S.
    ALLUMINOGENI - Metafisico
    Raven Sad
    Sparkle in Grey
    The Winstons
    Il Sentiero Di Taus
    Aerostation
    Sezione Frenante
    Leviathan
    La Coscienza di Zeno (CDZ)
    Reale Accademia di Musica - "Angeli Mutanti"
    Last edited by TheH; 02-05-2018 at 05:13 PM.

  18. #1318
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    New possible releases list (some might not happen or should have been out for years now).
    Of course I'm getting old and forgot a lot releases that I was aware of..

    Asgard "Ragnar°kkr"
    Astralia
    Banco del Mutuo Soccorso Orlando
    Black Jester
    Conqueror (recording)
    DAAL Decalogue of Darkness
    DAAL (second project)
    Egonon In Vitro (album is finished, they are looking for a lable)
    Entity (reworked (unreleased) early album (just a maybe))
    Falena
    FEM Prog Band
    Fonderia
    Gran Turismo Veloce
    Hollowscene (former Baanau)
    Homo Ex Machina
    Homunculus Res "Della stessa sostanza dei sogni"
    H÷stsonaten Ancient Mariner Part 2
    Il Bacio della Medusa (in the studio right now)
    Il Fauno Di Marmo
    Il Giardino Onirico
    Il Paradiso degli Orchi
    Il Segno del Comando
    Imagin'Aria E X E L I G E R E
    La Batteria March
    La Bottega Del Tempo A Vapore
    La Tore dell'Alchimista (if they ever finish it :
    Lamana´f
    LatteMiele 2.0 (a spin off from Latte Miele)
    LaviÓntica
    Logos
    Mad Crayon (in the works for over 2 years now)
    Malibran 'Live Anthology' (1994-2001)
    Mauro Montobbio (Narrow Pass)
    Melting Clock (2018)
    Moongarden
    Murple
    Not a Good Sign
    Old Rock City Orchestra
    Psycho Praxis
    RanestRane Starchild
    SKE 1001 Autunni (Remaster of 1000 Autunni plus live album)
    Syndone Mysoginia
    Una Stagione all'Inferno Il Mostro di Firence

    P.S.
    ALLUMINOGENI - Metafisico
    Raven Sad
    Sparkle in Grey
    The Winstons
    Il Sentiero Di Taus
    Aerostation
    Sezione Frenante
    Leviathan
    La Coscienza di Zeno (CDZ)
    Reale Accademia di Musica - "Angeli Mutanti"
    Great list "H" I exchanged e-mails with Egonon. They assured me that they would release an album in 2018. We shall see.

  19. #1319
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Great list "H" I exchanged e-mails with Egonon. They assured me that they would release an album in 2018. We shall see.
    Their second album "In Vitro" is recorded, mixed and mastered for some years now and I thin they even shot a video some times ago.
    I'm a little afraid that that the album might be sung in English, but it is about time for a release!

  20. #1320
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    You're the 2nd person I know who swears by Homunculus Res. I'll check it out.

    Seems "H" is neck deep in the Italian scene. I purchased around fifteen 2017 Italian albums. If 2018 is as strong that's another 15-20 albums. Hopefully H can narrow a list down to 10-12 albums of early 2018 Winter-Spring Italian that H is looking forward to or already knows is fantastic...That way I can audition that batch before he moves on to The Italian Summer Crop. I like that Jethro Tullish band OAK. Never heard of them.

    The crazy thing? I beginning to like the modern Italian prog more than the classic. So shoot me!
    Narrowing down my list on specific release dates is impossible for me. Italian bands working on an album does not mean a thing nowadays, it doesn't mean they are ever going to be released. Even if they are fully recorded that doesn't seem to mean much at the time. There seem to be quite a lot of bands to disappear during the work on their next album.

  21. #1321
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Narrowing down my list on specific release dates is impossible for me. Italian bands working on an album does not mean a thing nowadays, it doesn't mean they are ever going to be released. Even if they are fully recorded that doesn't seem to mean much at the time. There seem to be quite a lot of bands to disappear during the work on their next album.
    I didn't mean for you to correlate bands by release dates. I was just curious. You're super source for Italian Prog. I'm very thankful. Those Italians are so romantic, that before an album is complete, one of the members elopes for love!

    Ouch, I hope Egonon sings in Italian. I think most RPI fans like Italian lyrics and vocals. However, I may be wrong.

  22. #1322
    Why is Rock Progressivo Italiano separated as a genre compared to other Italian bands in the Prog field? and what does this genre stand for?

  23. #1323
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,960
    Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    Why is Rock Progressivo Italiano separated as a genre compared to other Italian bands in the Prog field? and what does this genre stand for?
    It's not a genre, it's a nationality. It's done because the people doing it don't understand what genres are. Calling it by it's Italian name doesn't confer legitimacy either.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  24. #1324
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's not a genre, it's a nationality. It's done because the people doing it don't understand what genres are. Calling it by it's Italian name doesn't confer legitimacy either.
    Thank you moecurlythanu .

  25. #1325
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    You're the 2nd person I know who swears by Homunculus Res. I'll check it out.
    Count me in for those who sport Homunculus Res. I am listening their 2nd album right now and it's more than excellent. There is a laid-back atmosphere a la Hatfield and the North, but with a fresher approach that reminds me of bands like Stereolab and High Llamas. Amazing that music like that goes completely under the radar. I can't wait for their new one, hope someone here keeps us posted for when it's out.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •