Page 44 of 116 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2898

Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Another new track by Locanda delle Fate

What a voice.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    What a voice.
    Yuup, considering Leonardo is in (or close to) his own 70s he still sounds a lot like he did in the 70s.

Good to see that some of those guys manage not to wreck their voices over the years (although he might not have performed that much over the years)

Orchestre Celesti - The Big Carrot (and misuse of it) January 22nd C40H56

i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    OTOH, Ingranaggi Della Valle's Warm Spaced Blue, while still excellent (Gnosis 11), was a bit of a disappointment. It's very much an "international" prog album. As I said in my own notes, it's more of a progressive rock band from Italy rather than an Italian prog rock album, if that makes sense. I enjoyed their debut more, and felt they were one of the best of the newer bands. Now they're more amongst the pack. To be clear - it's a great album - but they can do better I think.
    I think what you might be bouncing off of is exactly what I like about Warm Spaced Blue. The music has a heavy influence of The Flower Kings. I would even say while not a "lost album" by TFK, fans of that band will pretty much like Warm Spaced Blue. Mileage varies. While an Italian band, it isn't what is often called RPI.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I think what you might be bouncing off of is exactly what I like about Warm Spaced Blue. The music has a heavy influence of The Flower Kings. I would even say while not a "lost album" by TFK, fans of that band will pretty much like Warm Spaced Blue. Mileage varies. While an Italian band, it isn't what is often called RPI.
    Blah, I hope not. I have this on order, and I'm no fan of the Flower Kings. That wasn't what I heard in the samples of Warm Spaced Blue I checked out, but obviously I didn't hear the whole album. We'll see.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Blah, I hope not. I have this on order, and I'm no fan of the Flower Kings. That wasn't what I heard in the samples of Warm Spaced Blue I checked out, but obviously I didn't hear the whole album. We'll see.

Bill
    There is absolut no trace of the Flower Kings on that album, be assured. Warm Spaced Blue is rather very modern Prog with lots of jazzy moments.
    If I had to compare this album to another band I would say they sound like "Seven Impale" on their latest album just without the metal parts.

There is absolut no trace of the Flower Kings on that album, be assured. Warm Spaced Blue is rather very modern Prog with lots of jazzy moments.
    That's what I recall from the samples. I'm reassured by this.

If I had to compare this album to another band I would say they sound like "Seven Impale" on their latest album just without the metal parts.
    Sign me up tor that! I really like Seven Impale, but don't prefer their more "metal" moments.

Bill

Stefano Agini Keyboardist of CdZ (also known for his work on La Curva di Lesmo) with lots of guests (Including the vocalist of Museo Rosenbach)

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    Orchestre Celesti - The Big Carrot (and misuse of it) January 22nd C40H56

I like that a lot. Shame they don't seem to do physical releases or I'd buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I like that a lot. Shame they don't seem to do physical releases or I'd buy it.
    Actually a one man project. There are a track or two on some CD samplers, but apart from that just air music.

Nice new band - Melting Clock

^ I like that one a lot. Only thing I could find on the web is a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/meltingclockband/

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I like that one a lot. Only thing I could find on the web is a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/meltingclockband/
    Just stumbled over them, they where the only band of a Prog festival line up in Italy that I didn't know so I checked them. Sadly they don't seem to have
    an album out yet in any form.

Anyone else enamored with Nuova Era's Return to the Castle? This record really blew me away, it combines the best elements of classic, symphonic prog with the epic tradition of heavy-rock bands like Uriah Heep and Wishbone Ash. Retro isn't enough to describe it, since they delve in the same classical tradition the 70's bands did. Musicianship is just outstanding, not only individually, but as a teamwork, these guys clearly complement each other. A true hymn to nostalgia!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Anyone else enamored with Nuova Era's Return to the Castle? This record really blew me away, it combines the best elements of classic, symphonic prog with the epic tradition of heavy-rock bands like Uriah Heep and Wishbone Ash. Retro isn't enough to describe it, since they delve in the same classical tradition the 70's bands did. Musicianship is just outstanding, not only individually, but as a teamwork, these guys clearly complement each other. A true hymn to nostalgia!
    Sadly, I don't feel this way. I think it pales in comparison to their earlier stuff. The vocals in English are both poorly rendered and the lyrics are almost hopelessly twee. The music is also pretty tepid and uninspired to me, especially in comparison with their first two. There are, admittedly, a few good moments, but they seem the exception rather than the rule. I'm seriously debating letting this one go, but since I doubt I'll get much for it may wind up just hanging onto it.

I knew about the English vocals going into it, and I had my doubts about the material. I took a chance anyway, hoping I'd like it more, but so far that hasn't happened. It's a really long album, maybe I can pare it down a bit to just the parts I like more. Glad others are digging it, but it isn't one I'd recommend, and I'm a fan of their early stuff.

Bill

So I got Warm Spaced Blue the other day and have given it one spin. Not bad. Very, very different from their first album, almost unrecognizable. Like you, I don't hear any Flower Kings. I do hear the Seven Impale comparison at times, and there are moments where they really sound like Anekdoten as well. This is one I'll need some time to get my ears around. Need to re-spin the first one too.

Bill

Another new track by Locanda delle Fate

Any idea Mr H when this is to be released? Interesting that there are next to no close up head shots of the guitar player. I guess they didn't want to be compared to the young guy in the band! I also see from their website that they are on their Farewell Tour this year.
    Last edited by Dok; 03-15-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks for the feedback, Bill. It's amazing how taste differs. Maybe it's also an issue of musical background, I don't know about yours but mine contains from my teenage years a lot of epic heavy-rock and epic metal and there is clearly a flavor of that in Return to the Castle (for example drumming is much more in the vein of Bohnam-Kashmir like than complex progressive rhythms). I don't know what to say, from the opening notes this music completely won me over, but this happened in an emotional level more than anything else.

No, sorry. I love the earlier albums, so this one was an autobuy. However, this doesn't have the same spark. It almost seems like they're going through the motions on this one, and of course that wouldn't be true on a comeback album. I blame it on age. Very middling at best, imo.

Anyone else enamored with Nuova Era's Return to the Castle?
    Nope. It was on my "Disappointments of 2016" list. Really like their first few a lot. This one is not in the same league as those.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hostsonaten's Cupid & Psyche. I like this release, some pretty nice violin playing and lush orchestration. It's all instrumental but it definitely doesn't rock. Opinions? Other releases?

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Any idea Mr H when this is to be released? Interesting that there are next to no close up head shots of the guitar player. I guess they didn't want to be compared to the young guy in the band! I also see from their website that they are on their Farewell Tour this year.
    Sorry, I don't have any idea what the band plans are with the two new Songs. It's possible that's just the Videos and that was it.
    The band anounced releases (plural) for this year but did not give further info.

I guess we will get as DVD of the farewell tour which will include the Videos for the two new Songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    So I got Warm Spaced Blue the other day and have given it one spin. Not bad. Very, very different from their first album, almost unrecognizable. Like you, I don't hear any Flower Kings. I do hear the Seven Impale comparison at times, and there are moments where they really sound like Anekdoten as well. This is one I'll need some time to get my ears around. Need to re-spin the first one too.

Bill
    I hinted about my notes on this one, but I guess I should just drop them in here. I don't hear The Flower Kings either. That I would not have enjoyed much.

"Warm Spaced Blue is an odd sophomore release from Ingranaggi della Valle. Their debut was a kinetic progressive rock album, with powerful Italian vocals, jagged rhythms, and fiery instrumental chops. Very much in league with the Italian school of symphonic fusion like Deus Ex Machina or DFA. On Warm Spaced Blue, they've embraced more modern progressive tendencies, some angular dissonance, representing King Crimson, Anekdoten, and even the Avant Prog contingency of Thinking Plague. In effect they've gone from being an Italian prog rock band to a prog rock band from Italy, if that makes sense. Similar to Not a Good Sign perhaps. As such, the album has been praised in international progressive rock circles, as it's a popular sound amongst the faithful. Personally, I was a bit disappointed, as it seemed Ingranaggi della Valle were poised to take the baton from the much missed DFA, who are unlikely to ever reform. All of this to say, Warm Spaced Blue is hardly an abject failure. To be honest, I'm a bit tired of this sort of cold and clinical modern progressive style. And yet Ingranaggi della Valle somehow brings it to life, adding just the right amount of romantic touches to what could have been just another academic exercise. Having Warm in the title, whether intentional or not, provides an ingenious hint. The compositions are dense, as these kind of albums tend to be, and requires multiple listens to absorb. Even with that, I'm not sure I have - absorbed that is. Which is fine - makes future listens all that much more intriguing. I'll give it 4 stars on faith."

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Hostsonaten's Cupid & Psyche. I like this release, some pretty nice violin playing and lush orchestration. It's all instrumental but it definitely doesn't rock. Opinions? Other releases?
    I found this album to be a big disappointment. I had high expectations, but after 2 listens I was done. Anyway, their four "seasons" albums are all way better than Cupid and Psyche. But by far their best album is the 2012 release "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", which has some pretty rocking moments. I'm still hoping for a follow up to "Rime".

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    I found this album to be a big disappointment. I had high expectations, but after 2 listens I was done. Anyway, their four "seasons" albums are all way better than Cupid and Psyche. But by far their best album is the 2012 release "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", which has some pretty rocking moments. I'm still hoping for a follow up to "Rime".
    The one that doesn't seem to ever get mentioned that I really like a lot is Mirrorgames.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***