Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

  1. #1051
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,882
    Away from Here by Anvil Therapy

    Bandcamp link

    a2500969070_16 (1).jpg


  2. #1052
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    The Psicosuono is even better!!!
    Yeah, the double female vox and sax are really cool...........I like at the 5:23 mark, you can see the guy in the control room sweeping the floor!!!!....what a hoot !
    G.A.S -aholic

  3. #1053
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,803
    I really want the reissue of Le Orme's Amico di ieri, one of the only ones I'm missing... but it's an LP/CD combo! Argh! I only want the CD.

    Gotta jump on that new Maxophone too, released this coming Tuesday!
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  4. #1054
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I really want the reissue of Le Orme's Amico di ieri, one of the only ones I'm missing... but it's an LP/CD combo! Argh! I only want the CD.

    Gotta jump on that new Maxophone too, released this coming Tuesday!
    Would love that Le Orme one too, I think I only miss this one and Il Fiume (which is easy to find).

    Maxophone is a must buy for me.

  5. #1055
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Would love that Le Orme one too, I think I only miss this one and Il Fiume (which is easy to find).

    Maxophone is a must buy for me.
    Yeah, Il Fiume is a good one, I actually played that one just last week!

    Do you think the Maxophone will make it over to the North American vendors, or should I just grab it from BTF now?
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  6. #1056
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, Il Fiume is a good one, I actually played that one just last week!

    Do you think the Maxophone will make it over to the North American vendors, or should I just grab it from BTF now?
    I'm sure that Greg and others will carry this one. Postage is rather expansive from Italy to Germany, and it will be much more to the US.

  7. #1057
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I'm sure that Greg and others will carry this one. Postage is rather expansive from Italy to Germany, and it will be much more to the US.
    Yeah, I've ordered quite a few times from BTF over the years and it's never cheap. But they are a great shop.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  8. #1058
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, I've ordered quite a few times from BTF over the years and it's never cheap. But they are a great shop.
    They are, I buy most of my Italian Prog stuff there: I'm sure I finance at least one of their staff

  9. #1059
    Member ryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    venice italy
    Posts
    12
    Last edited by ryder; 02-08-2017 at 04:43 AM.

  10. #1060
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,649
    New album by Le Orme will be out at March 22. It's called Classic Le Orme.

    It seems to be what the name says, Le Orme tracks sung by a Tenor and a Soprano.
    There will be a hand of new songs though.

    "Plurima Mundi" have a new album out called Percorsi. I have their first EP from a few years ago which was really good.

    Semiramis have recorded a new song (a second will follow) for their live DVD to be filmed in April.

    Cerchio d'Oro have finished recording their new album.

  11. #1061
    Member mellotron storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    172
    Just my two cents but my two absolute favourite RPI titles of 2016 were by Ingranaggi Della Valle and La Bocca Della Verita. I got some flack for not being too into Promenade or Il Paradiso Degli Orchi but that's my tastes man.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

  12. #1062
    Member ashratom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs CO
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Just my two cents but my two absolute favourite RPI titles of 2016 were by Ingranaggi Della Valle and La Bocca Della Verita. I got some flack for not being too into Promenade or Il Paradiso Degli Orchi but that's my tastes man.
    Well I just gave an even more unflattering review to Promenade than I think you did . To me, it's mostly an indie rock album. At its best, it's wacky RIO music, already a genre that I have little interest in, and yet that's where they excelled best. I called it an avant-prog indie album. The Canterbury and classic Italian prog references I read about have me scratching my head big time. That's not what I heard - and I listened to it intently a few times. One of the few new albums where I felt totally mislead. But that's OK, I don't think anyone was trying to do that. And like you said, it seems popular, so what do I know?

    I have La Bocca Della Verita here, and I'm very excited to hear it!

    OTOH, Ingranaggi Della Valle's Warm Spaced Blue, while still excellent (Gnosis 11), was a bit of a disappointment. It's very much an "international" prog album. As I said in my own notes, it's more of a progressive rock band from Italy rather than an Italian prog rock album, if that makes sense. I enjoyed their debut more, and felt they were one of the best of the newer bands. Now they're more amongst the pack. To be clear - it's a great album - but they can do better I think.

  13. #1063
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Cellar Noise - Alight out on 19th Feb. (a band produced by Zuffanti). Nice soft synphonic.
    I'm enjoying this one. it's got a distinct my cousin Geddy vibe. I like it

    i.ain't.dead.irock

  14. #1064
    Member mellotron storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Well I just gave an even more unflattering review to Promenade than I think you did . To me, it's mostly an indie rock album. At its best, it's wacky RIO music, already a genre that I have little interest in, and yet that's where they excelled best. I called it an avant-prog indie album. The Canterbury and classic Italian prog references I read about have me scratching my head big time. That's not what I heard - and I listened to it intently a few times. One of the few new albums where I felt totally mislead. But that's OK, I don't think anyone was trying to do that. And like you said, it seems popular, so what do I know?

    I have La Bocca Della Verita here, and I'm very excited to hear it!

    OTOH, Ingranaggi Della Valle's Warm Spaced Blue, while still excellent (Gnosis 11), was a bit of a disappointment. It's very much an "international" prog album. As I said in my own notes, it's more of a progressive rock band from Italy rather than an Italian prog rock album, if that makes sense. I enjoyed their debut more, and felt they were one of the best of the newer bands. Now they're more amongst the pack. To be clear - it's a great album - but they can do better I think.
    La Bocca Della Verita was one I loved instantly. The bass is upfront and instrumentally it sounds great to my ears. At 80 minutes it's too long but I'll be spending all this week with it along with Mad Fellaz latest which also sounds incredible instrumentally.

    I've noticed many who really liked Ingranaggi Della Valle's debut weren't so keen on Warm Spaced Blue, of course there are exceptions to that and the opposite is true as well including in my case. I wasn't going to even bother with it after feeling lukewarm towards the debut but someone convinced me the second one was quite different from the debut. So go figure?

    And I'm glad there's at least one other person who feels like me about Promenade.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

  15. #1065
    Member emperorken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesquite Nv
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Cellar Noise - Alight out on 19th Feb. (a band produced by Zuffanti). Nice soft synphonic.
    I am enjoying this album quite a bit. The English vocals are very good.

  16. #1066
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,649
    Still waiting for many of my favorite bands new albums to come out (but somehow refuse to do so)

    So in between:

    Homunculus Res are working on a new album.

    In May there will be the new albums by
    SynCage (Bad Elephant Records!)
    and
    Dropshard

  17. #1067
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,882
    After The Sea by Anèma

    Bandcamp link


  18. #1068
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

    Maxophone is a must buy for me.
    How are you finding it?

    I'm rather underwhelmed, esp after reading a few very positive comments before listening

  19. #1069
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    How are you finding it?

    I'm rather underwhelmed, esp after reading a few very positive comments before listening
    Don't have it yet. I usually wait till there a about 4 or 5 CD I want before I order from Italy, as the P&P will be almost
    the same as for a single CD.

  20. #1070
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Don't have it yet. I usually wait till there a about 4 or 5 CD I want before I order from Italy, as the P&P will be almost
    the same as for a single CD.
    OK

    Don't get me wrong it isn't "terrible", but not great either

    Read a few other reviews, one said it sounded like Spock's Beard, (it doesn't sound like SB or the self titled IMO)

  21. #1071
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,816
    I'm going to Terra Incognita in Quebec City this spring. Given that they one of the headlines, I picked Hostsonaten's Cupid & Psyche. I've only listened half way through but they sound like an orchestra. I'm assuming they are all instrumental. I like what I hear so far.

  22. #1072
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,649
    Il Tempio delle Clessidre - Il-Ludere will be out in late April

    Also Goad are in the studio again..

    LA COSCIENZA DI ZENO and La Curva di Lesmo keyboardist Stefano Agnini has a new album out called Il cerchio medianico.
    This one is supposed to be a Prop (Pop Prog) album (what ever that means)

  23. #1073
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    75
    definitely looking forward to some new Homunculus Res, Cerchio d'Oro , Il Tempio Delle Clessidre and Syncage . Curious about whatever this Semiramis thing is too. This thread has been a wealth of good info. BTW, I am one of those that really likes the Promenade CD, nothing groundbreaking, but it scratched a good itch for me.

  24. #1074
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,602

  25. #1075
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,649
    Another new track by Locanda delle Fate


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •