Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend The Best Current Italian Prog

Quote Originally Posted by ske View Post
    Wow! Given the appreciation found here on SKE, Yugen and La Coscienza di Zeno, you might find interesting our brand new effort:
    Not a Good Sign
    Sounds good, Paolo; when is this out, and can you tell a bit more about the overall project?

As for DeM, I thought their first two releases were fairly dire, but they got way better with De Republica and appeared like an almost transformed band by the time of Equilibrismo da Insofferenza, which is certainly no "headache generator" to anyone I know that've heard it. This is one of my fave 10 or-so albums from the "modern" Italian rock and progressive scene.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 05-09-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Sounds good, Paolo; when is this out, and can you tell a bit more about the overall project?

As for DeM, I thought their first two releases were fairly dire, but they got way better with De Republica and appeared like an almost transformed band ny the time of Equilibrismo da Insoferenza, which is certainly no "headache generator" to anyone I know that've heard it. This is one of my fave 10 or-so albums from the "modern" Italian rock and progressive scene.
    Out on June 10th

https://www.facebook.com/notagoodsign

As for DeM, I thought their first two releases were fairly dire, but they got way better with De Republica and appeared like an almost transformed band by the time of Equilibrismo da Insofferenza, which is certainly no "headache generator" to anyone I know that've heard it. This is one of my fave 10 or-so albums from the "modern" Italian rock and progressive scene.
    I bought 'Gladium' when it came out, and didn't care for it. Histrionic & tiring. I saw them live later in the 90s, and they were fantastic. Still, I wasn't moved to pick up any other relases.
    I'll have to give the title you rec'd a shot.

If you are into DeM and missing them you should give the new Altare Thotemico Album (Sogno Errando) a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'll have to give the title you rec'd a shot.
    Equilibrismo is long OOP and probably one of their hardest to come by on the market. But I'd go for Cinque, their Cuneiform release from the early 2000s.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

For DeM you might try this link for free downloads (by the band themselves)

http://www.myspace.com/deusexmachinait/blog/461625777

Don't know if they are still working so.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    No but since they are, I don't hear them mentioned much, which is fine by me. Really terrible band, just a headache generator. Besides, what do you care that I express my opinion? If you don't like it, you can always put me on ignore.

I don't care if you express your opinion. Everyone has a right to express their opinion. I'm sure there are many bands we agree on.

I was just wondering why you were glad they are gone? I was trying to figure out how it harmed you that they existed?
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

New very strong band with very good vocalist

Lamanaif

Equilibrismo is long OOP and probably one of their hardest to come by on the market. But I'd go for Cinque, their Cuneiform release from the early 2000s.
    I like their 90s albums the best: the self-titled second and De Reppublica especially. The use of horns on the 00s stuff is interesting but the music is...I don’t know...harder to connect with? Not bad by any means just...less immediate. I think I’m finally coming around to them.

Speaking of, is there any “new” stuff on Imparis at all?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"The world of the heterosexual is a sick and boring life." --Edith Massey

N.P.:“Angel Voyeur”-Jane Siberry/Teenager

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I like their 90s albums the best: the self-titled second and De Reppublica especially. The use of horns on the 00s stuff is interesting but the music is...I don’t know...harder to connect with? Not bad by any means just...less immediate. [...] Speaking of, is there any “new” stuff on Imparis at all?
    I have the exact opposite experience! The first two albums - to my ear - contain A LOT of playing with very little actually going on in terms of overall development or even movement within the pieces. And I never particularly warmed to the latin lyrics either. Whilst Equilibrismo turns in a sort of "jazzy rock with a big R" (but no "jazz-rock") which miraculously manages to sound brand new and somewhat traditional at the same time. I've had fans of the NY Downtown Sound come to me and tell me how infinitely refreshing a listen that album was, thinking they'd never really hear a "prog" band that they'd actually appreciate. To me, the power of this record is nothing short of immense.

As for Imparis, I kind of think of it more as an enhanced DVD than a music record as such; the version of "Fine del Mondo" on the studio part is far less compelling than the original version to be found on Equilibrismo, although the other remake (ballad, can't recall its name right now but it's initially from DeM) is very good. What's truly frustrating is, ironically, that the opening track onImparis is a new song and possibly the greatest thing they ever did - prompting me to miss a whole release of such material.

It is worth getting all the same, though.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 05-09-2013 at 06:03 PM.

I like their 90s albums the best: the self-titled second and De Reppublica especially. The use of horns on the 00s stuff is interesting but the music is...I don’t know...harder to connect with? Not bad by any means just...less immediate. I think I’m finally coming around to them.

Speaking of, is there any “new” stuff on Imparis at all?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"The world of the heterosexual is a sick and boring life." --Edith Massey

N.P.:“Angel Voyeur”-Jane Siberry/Teenager
    No there ain't any new stuff, basically that was their swan song as the band is not anymore.

La Coscienza di Zeno

I think its spelled right, they write in that fancy bullshit writing that you can't read. Whatever happened to printing the band name somewhere in the paperwork.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I also liked VIII Stradas Album very much. Very fresh modern heavy prog, with a very professional Sound. Hope they will do another one.

Three Monks will release their second one very soon.
    Haven’t heard the VIII Strada album but it’s on my Big List of Stuff to Check Out.

I hope the next Three Monks album is a little more diverse than the first. I liked the first one fine but it kind of got a bit samey after a while.

Everyone’s mentioning the La Conscienza di Zeno album but I have to admit, it didn’t do much for me. The music seemed to get a little formulaic at times and I couldn’t stand the singer’s screechy voice. There was some nice synth work here and there, though.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"That's my purse! I don't know you!" --Bobby Hill

N.P.:“Sometimes”-Fleetwood Mac/Future Games

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I don't care if you express your opinion. Everyone has a right to express their opinion. I'm sure there are many bands we agree on.

I was just wondering why you were glad they are gone? I was trying to figure out how it harmed you that they existed?
    I saw them in LA at one of the Progfests(94 or 95?)and my ears are still ringing. I actually went out of the hall and across the street before the throbbing subsided.

June 10th, it will be avaliable at Altrock/Fading Festival held in Milano June 1st/2nd tho
    http://altrockfading.blogspot.it/

about Not a Good Sign, there's a thread here, more info coming soon
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...June-10th-2013

about Deus ex Machina, they were one of the strongest live act i've even seen, sheer energy. The voice can be a big turn off, expecially if you don't like Stratos. I dig it, and always appreciated the latin lyrics. MAYBE they are not really gone. Who knows

Haven’t heard the VIII Strada album but it’s on my Big List of Stuff to Check Out.

I hope the next Three Monks album is a little more diverse than the first. I liked the first one fine but it kind of got a bit samey after a while.

Everyone’s mentioning the La Conscienza di Zeno album but I have to admit, it didn’t do much for me. The music seemed to get a little formulaic at times and I couldn’t stand the singer’s screechy voice. There was some nice synth work here and there, though.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

VIII are in the Studio to record their second album "Babylon".

I use to listen to just one or two tracks of the 3 Monks Album, which keeps the bombastic effect. Hearing the whole album at once
    really gets a little boring after some time.

Il Tempio delle Clessidre just enterered the Studio also for their second one...

As have Conqueror, IL CERCHIO D'ORO and Goad

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

That's what I liked about Three Monks!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Haven't read everything yet.

Did anyone say:

Il Castello di Atlante?

They were truly amazing in Quebec this past weekend.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Il Tempio delle Clessidre just enterered the Studio also for their second one...
    As have Conqueror, IL CERCHIO D'ORO and Goad
    Il Cerchio d'Oro is already releasing new album "Dedalo e Icaro" in a few days via Black Widow Records.
    Digital already available at amazon.
    Last edited by mogilevs; 05-22-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Gran Turismo Veloce - Di Carne Di Anima

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTK9K9-Z_fc

Barock Project - Coffee In Neukölln

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRCgdsEdM6o

Daal - Dodecahedron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X4AbsV3sRY

Yugen - Mirrors (Live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo1JgNcmP2A
    Life - is a state - of mind

My Favourite italian band at the moment is Kingcrow (i'm italian )

[QUOTE=Zalmoxe;96527]Barock Project
    Absolutely love this band, especially rebus (but all 3 albums are excellent)
    Other favorites:
    Il Tempio della Clessidre
    Yugen
    Ske
    Accordo dei Contrari
    DFA (sniff)
    Former Life

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    No one has mentioned Egonon so far:

Should have mentioned them, but forgot..

So you might like to hear that they are recording their second Album at the very moment!

Yummy Yummy

So you might like to hear that they are recording their second Album at the very moment!
    I can only rejoice!

Yummy Yummy
    Yummy indeed!