Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cream

Cream

"I'm So Glad"

LA Forum 10/19/68

I know Detroit '67 gets a lot of love, but this pretty much puts everything ever out of commission.

Btw, I like the "Sweet Cream" bootleg better than the version on the box. Better mix, IMO.

The box? 'Those were the days' ?

What really irritated me on that one was 1. the sound. Compared to LP's and (CD) a goldversion of Cream: Goodbye and Disraeli I have, its really flat, un-dynamic and bottomless. 2. The version they used for Politician should have been the one from Cream Goodbye. Musically much more interesting IMO.
    A shame when they spent that much effort in it.

I love Cream.

Me too.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Same here
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Me too. I 'm still waiting for some live material (from their original run, not the reunion) to be lreleased in a nice package.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Me too. I 'm still waiting for some live material (from their original run, not the reunion) to be lreleased in a nice package.
    You mean, aside from "Those were the Days"? Or previously unreleased?

Mastering aside (and I don't think it's bad), that is one killer set.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I love Cream.
    I used to. I haven't listened to them in ions though. That's true for most of the music I loved in the '60s, with the exception of The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. And it's not like I listen to them every week or month either. But that's just me; I'm not the rock fan that I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I haven't listened to them in ions though.
    Don't be so negative.

One of my all-time favorite bands; this was one of the first albums I ever owned:

129446373.DA7RY2LH.cream_bestF.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Don't be so negative.
    Er... eons.
    Last edited by No Pride; 04-26-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Great band, love them. Fresh Cream and Disraeli Gears are fantastic albums.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Fresh Cream and Disraeli Gears are fantastic albums.
    Not "Wheels of Fire?" I think they were really starting to branch out and evolve on that one, especially with tunes like "Those Were the Days" and "As You Said." Throw in the 5/4 intro to "White Room" and you could say they were doing some things that bordered on proto-prog. It's a shame that their personal chemistry was so bad (at least between Jack and Ginger), because they were really on to something artistically.

Not "Wheels of Fire?" I think they were really starting to branch out and evolve on that one, especially with tunes like "Those Were the Days" and "As You Said." Throw in the 5/4 intro to "White Room" and you could say they were doing some things that bordered on proto-prog. It's a shame that their personal chemistry was so bad (at least between Jack and Ginger), because they were really on to something artistically.
    Yes I completely agree they developed towards progressive rock with Wheels Of Fire. I love WoF, but I must relisten this one for some improvement.

It's a shame that their personal chemistry was so bad (at least between Jack and Ginger)
    Yeah, it's amazing that those guys ended up in a band together after the clashes they'd already had in other bands, including Ginger pulling a knife on Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The box? 'Those were the days' ?
    Correct. I'm unaware of another.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    eally irritated me on that one was 1. the sound. Compared to LP's and (CD) a goldversion of Cream: Goodbye and Disraeli I have, its really flat, un-dynamic and bottomless. 2. The version they used for Politician should have been the one from Cream Goodbye. Musically much more interesting IMO.
    A shame when they spent that much effort in it.
    I thought it sounded ok. Some insist that having the new mixes of things from Cream Live are the biggest reasons it's essential.

I love the Mofi Disraeli, but I think the Mofi Goodbye sucks. I prefer the Dennis Drake CD for that one.
    Last edited by JeffCarney; 04-26-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Ooh! Ooh! I get to be that guy for this thread!! I never got Cream. I just can't get into them. I do appreciate on an intellectual level how they were groundbreaking but I don't like the sound of the band, who knows why. White Room is a pretty good song though, I'll grant that.

Actually, I'll say this- I did gain a lot more respect when I saw the reunion show. A lot of my feeling may have to do with the production of those early albums and shows- GB may be a great drummer but he had just about the worst recorded drum sound in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yeah, it's amazing that those guys ended up in a band together after the clashes they'd already had in other bands, including Ginger pulling a knife on Jack.
    It's kinda funny how that came about. Ginger wanted to start a band with Eric and Eric agreed to, but only if it was with this bass player he really liked, Jack Bruce. Having worked in other bands together, Ginger and Jack had already established a strong dislike towards each other and Ginger must've said (or at least thought), "NOOOO, not THAT guy!" But that was Eric's one condition and Ginger must've felt it was worth biting the bullet for.

I used to. I haven't listened to them in ions though. That's true for most of the music I loved in the '60s, with the exception of The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. And it's not like I listen to them every week or month either. But that's just me; I'm not the rock fan that I used to be.
    Pretty much the same with me. But on the rare occasion that I throw on a Cream LP, I (mostly) dig it.

Those of us of a certain age will recall what a major BFD these guys were when they first hit in late '66/'67. Three guys who could play(!), a quantum leap from what was happening at the time (only Beck and Bloomfield were competitive, and the latter was virtually unknown). They raised the bar, and there was no half-steppin' from then on out: you had to be able to play! (I bought my first Marshall largely because of these guys).

I saw them a couple of weeks after the Forum gig (w/Terry Reid and the Moody Blues), and they fuckin' roared. (By comparison the reunion gig a few years ago seemed tepid, though I saw only the video).
    Good times....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Actually, I'll say this- I did gain a lot more respect when I saw the reunion show. A lot of my feeling may have to do with the production of those early albums and shows- GB may be a great drummer but he had just about the worst recorded drum sound in history.
    So you feel this "drum sound" issue applies to all of their studio sides? Mono and stereo?

I definitely can relate to this opinion in some cases, but their live sides never had this issue to the same extent; and there are plenty of those.

Wasn't the studio version of "Toad" alleged to be the first ever use of individual mics on every drum?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    GB may be a great drummer but he had just about the worst recorded drum sound in history.
    Some reviewer back in the daze characterized Baker's drumming as that of "kicking a set of luggage down a staircase." Always thought it was a minor stroke of genius playing on 1 & 3 on "SoYL".....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Always thought it was a minor stroke of genius playing on 1 & 3 on "SoYL".....
    I used to call that his "Powow the Indian Boy beat."

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Pretty much the same with me. But on the rare occasion that I throw on a Cream LP, I (mostly) dig it.

Those of us of a certain age will recall what a major BFD these guys were when they first hit in late '66/'67. Three guys who could play(!), a quantum leap from what was happening at the time (only Beck and Bloomfield were competitive, and the latter was virtually unknown). They raised the bar, and there was no half-steppin' from then on out: you had to be able to play! (I bought my first Marshall largely because of these guys).

I saw them a couple of weeks after the Forum gig (w/Terry Reid and the Moody Blues), and they fuckin' roared. (By comparison the reunion gig a few years ago seemed tepid, though I saw only the video).
    Good times....
    How about Hendrix and Peter Green?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    So you feel this "drum sound" issue applies to all of their studio sides? Mono and stereo?

I definitely can relate to this opinion in some cases, but their live sides never had this issue to the same extent; and there are plenty of those.
    Well, what I've heard anyway which isn't all of it... and yeah, the live stuff too although they might be a hiar better.