Thread: Help identifying song

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Help identifying song

On the overhead music in a Trader Joe's store, a song came on that used the intro to the Spirit song "Fresh Garbage." At first, I though someone was playing that song at a faster tempo. But when the singing started it was clear this was not "Fresh Garbage" that was playing. The verses and chorus were different. My hearing was not too good in there today, so I was unable to even guess who was singing, or what the lyrics might be, but more of the music from "Fresh Garbage" appeared within the song. Does anyone know the artist, the song, or the story of how some of Spirit's music ended up in the track? Is it some stolen riffs (It wouldn't be the first time Spirit was robbed)? Did Jay Ferguson, the songwriter of "Fresh Garbage," receive any compensation?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Pink feat. William Orbit
    Feel Good Time

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/vie...Fresh-Garbage/

There is nothing new under the sun.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks. I knew I could count on the fine folks at PE to figure that out. I'm sure that was the song I heard. With one ear plugged up, and wall to wall store noise, I couldn't even guess who was singing. But when I first heard "Fresh Garbage" in 1968, it instantly became my favorite song, for a while. Still love the late John Locke's piano solo. Needless to say, I didn't see anyone else in the store who looked like they remembered 1968.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

While we're there, here's a little quiz. What 60s band & song did Madonna borrow from for Beautiful Stranger?