Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balletto di Bronzo

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I need to check out that Cervello record. I remember reading about Rustici in Guitar Player back in 84, but to this day I've never heard any of his work (same with Joaquin Lievano, another guitarist that Narada Michael Walden played with, and who was featured in GP a few months before the Rustici piece). Part of why I never heard him was because the GP piece seemed to suggest that he was playing fusion music with Walden, which I eventually found out he most definitely wasn't.
    He/they did with Nova, Vimana was the first time they played together and it has a very nice Walden composition called “Princess and the Frog” (which even features a nice piano part from Walden at one point). You’ll also want to check out their first album, Blink, which has both Rustici brothers (Corrado and Danilo) playing together. It’s more of an incendiary fusion album compared to the more laid-back (yet still musicianly) Vimana. I didn’t care for the more commercial/funky direction Nova took on later albums.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Funny Ways”-Gentle Giant/Playing the Fool

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    He/they did with Nova, Vimana was the first time they played together and it has a very nice Walden composition called “Princess and the Frog” (which even features a nice piano part from Walden at one point). You’ll also want to check out their first album, Blink, which has both Rustici brothers (Corrado and Danilo) playing together. It’s more of an incendiary fusion album compared to the more laid-back (yet still musicianly) Vimana. I didn’t care for the more commercial/funky direction Nova took on later albums.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Funny Ways”-Gentle Giant/Playing the Fool
    I recall quite well that Phil Collins was credited on Nova-Vimana,so for those in the know,what did he do and why/how did he get involved with an Italian prog band?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I recall quite well that Phil Collins was credited on Nova-Vimana,so for those in the know,what did he do and why/how did he get involved with an Italian prog band?
    Well, if anything I don't think it had much to do with a unit being a "prog band" or an Italian such; these were times when countless musicians seemed to feel or form a bond as to the artistic visions they sided on. Thus, I find it far more intriguing that somehow Pete Townshend at one point was connected to Nova. At about the same time, Corrado Rustici was involved with British musicians (Rupert Hine, Mike Giles etc.) through his marvellous input on John G. Perry's outstanding 1976 solo release Sunset Wading, which indeed shares some of the refinements of the first two Nova records but is an altogether more diverse and (positively) introvert record. And Phil Collins had already testified to his penchant for fusion with Brand X (who'd also, probably not incidentally, turned a few sales numbers in Italy).

And I agree with the above poster who noted that Nova's output declined rather rapidly after Vimana.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, if anything I don't think it had much to do with a unit being a "prog band" or an Italian such; these were times when countless musicians seemed to feel or form a bond as to the artistic visions they sided on. Thus, I find it far more intriguing that somehow Pete Townshend at one point was connected to Nova. At about the same time, Corrado Rustici was involved with British musicians (Rupert Hine, Mike Giles etc.) through his marvellous input on John G. Perry's outstanding 1976 solo release Sunset Wading, which indeed shares some of the refinements of the first two Nova records but is an altogether more diverse and (positively) introvert record. And Phil Collins had already testified to his penchant for fusion with Brand X (who'd also, probably not incidentally, turned a few sales numbers in Italy).

And I agree with the above poster who noted that Nova's output declined rather rapidly after Vimana.
    I did read that Wings Of Love was very inferior to Vimana.