Thread: Happy Birthday, Ella Fitzgerald!

Happy Birthday, Ella Fitzgerald!

She would've been 96 today. There's been a fair share of great female vocalists in the history of jazz, but for me, two of them will always be at the top of the heap; Sarah Vaughan and Ella Fitzgerald.

Happy birthday, Ella! We miss you!

Outstanding. I have been on a real Ella and Sassy kick lately. I've been working my way through all of the Songbook albums...big task that. Both just simply magical vocalists.

In fact, I just bought a vinyl copy of Ella In Berlin for $1.99 at my local music store. It was mistakenly placed under M because Mack The Knife is in large lettering at the top of the cover. I guess some musically ignorant store employee thought that there was a band called Mack The Knife. I told my wife and kids that I had to rescue Ella from the hands of those cretins.

I also bought another record on that trip which appeared to be a series of duets by Sarah Vaughan and Billy Eckstine. The joke was on me...she sang on one song only. I should learn to read the small print.

Sassy first caught my ear many years ago when I checked out an assorted artists record from the library. Key Largo was the first song and Sarahs voice gave me chills...in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Howler Monkey View Post
    I just bought a vinyl copy of Ella In Berlin for $1.99 at my local music store.
    Great find! I doubt that I've heard even half of her entire discography, but that one's a real stand out amongst the albums I have heard. I love when she forgets the words to "Mack The Knife" and starts making up her own!

Saw her back in the 80s at Paul Masson Winery, so lucky. DLed a concert on Dime a few months back with Joe Pass.

Wish I had seen her live. Her take on "A Tisket A Tasket" should be required listening for all voice majors. Happy birthday Ella!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

My mom had a copy of "Swings Brightly with Nelson", killer album with Nelson Riddle and his Orchestra. I have the digital version of it now.
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

I don't have much Ella in the collection, but her recording of In A Mellow Tone w/ Ben Webster is a favorite.