Thread: Genesis Medley by Unitopia OMG

Banned

Genesis Medley by Unitopia OMG

I heard it on Morow
    Hi!

MOROW.com, the progressive rock radio, plays "Genesis Medley (New)" from Unitopia and it's just awesome!
    Some infos about their album are available on this page: http://www.morow.com/infos/Unitopia/Covered+Mirror.html

If you want to listen to Morow, just go to their website ( http://www.morow.com ) and click "Listen to Morow NOW". It's free and they got some amazing stuff!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPod

The whole album is fantastic....one of the best cover albums I've heard......well worth buying.....
    www.canvasproductions.net

Well I have to disagree, but I'm not a fan of cover albums in general. It was pretty much clear what was to be un-covered with this "Covered mirror". I like Unitopia's own albums way better than this.
    The Genesis Medley does start off with a very non-obvious tune, though, that was a nice surprise. But the Yes-Medley IMO is cringe-worthy: The breaks are very forced, "Owner" is just lame, and Soon gets ruined.
    All in all, for me this is a very forgettable album, I've listened to it once so far and do not have the urge to revisit it soon. I'm looking forward to their next album with original material.

Banned
    No doubt that Unitopia's original material is very desirable. The Genesis cover gave me goosebumps. The recording is very good.

Had this for a while , kudos for not doing a carbon copy of the originals which always makes tribute albums pointless !

Over on a certain prog station website a bunch of people were making fun of their Yes medley. I thought it was ok. I woulnd't mind hearing the Genesis medley.

Ok just listened to the Genesis medley. It was ok but they spent WAY, WAY too much time on carpet crawlers. I'm not a big fan of this song to begin with but if it was maybe one minute in the medley(like some of the others were)I could deal with it. I could never understand the appeal of this song and to be honest it's one of the weaker songs on LAMB(imo)and yes I realize I am definitely in the minority with that viewpoint.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    and yes I realize I am definitely in the minority with that viewpoint.
    Isn't that the goal of every progger

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I could never understand the appeal of this song and to be honest it's one of the weaker songs on LAMB(imo)and yes I realize I am definitely in the minority with that viewpoint.
    Actually, I completely agree. I find it sort of boring. If I'm listening to it in the Lamb context, I can cope with it as part of the "story", but by itself it's just so very, very dull. I skip it on Seconds Out and never bothered with getting the "reunion" version.

Banned
    I absolutely enjoy people commenting on what personally bores them. NOT. I'm fact that is what is most boring about this website. Of course one is entitled to one's opinion, but opinion isn't entertainment in itself, or atleast for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I absolutely enjoy people commenting on what personally bores them. NOT. I'm fact that is what is most boring about this website.
    Irony.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Irony.
    ^^ hahaha! Good one!

I absolutely enjoy people commenting on what personally bores them. NOT. I'm fact that is what is most boring about this website.
    Yeesh.

All we were saying was that "Carpet Crawlers" is over-rated. There's no law that says you have to rave over EVERYTHING.

I like the album, especially the first "Carpenters" song - Calling Aliens of Interplanetary Craft. The Genesis and Yes melodies are enjoyable, but I agree, they spent too much time on some parts of the cover in each. It would have been better served to play some small part of the song and move on, as they did with other parts.

But overall it is an enjoyable cover album where they put their own spin on things just enough to please me.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I did not like the idea of a band like Unitopia making a covers album when I first heard about it, I would have much preferred a new album of original material from them, but I must admit that I really like it, the Genesis medly is one of the real highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Actually, I completely agree. I find it sort of boring. If I'm listening to it in the Lamb context, I can cope with it as part of the "story", but by itself it's just so very, very dull. I skip it on Seconds Out and never bothered with getting the "reunion" version.
    Hhhmm. I think carpet crawlers is one of genesis best songs. Especially the seconds out version since Phil sings it better than Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Canvas View Post
    The whole album is fantastic....one of the best cover albums I've heard......well worth buying.....
    This may be my favorite album of covers. They do a superb job of paying homage to the original songs/bands while injecting their own flavor to each - - a difficult task handled brilliantly - - - - - Jeff

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Yeesh.

All we were saying was that "Carpet Crawlers" is over-rated. There's no law that says you have to rave over EVERYTHING.
    Wow you can't handle criticism. You said you were bored with it. I'm bored with you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I like the album, especially the first "Carpenters" song - Calling Aliens of Interplanetary Craft. The Genesis and Yes melodies are enjoyable, but I agree, they spent too much time on some parts of the cover in each. It would have been better served to play some small part of the song and move on, as they did with other parts.

But overall it is an enjoyable cover album where they put their own spin on things just enough to please me.
    Occupants is actually by Klaatu and if you haven't heard the original you are in for a treat. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KcgZC...%3DKcgZCXHPkCo

I'm bored with you.
    Again... yeesh. Criticize someone's favorite song and it devolves into personal remarks.

It's not even as if I hate it. Does that avatar look like I hate "The Lamb"? Whatever.

Banned
    Did I say hate? But why should I care if you are bored?