Thread: FEATURED CD - Pain Of Salvation : Be

FEATURED CD - Pain Of Salvation : Be

Here's one that's "progressive" in every sense of the word. (And contrary to what you may thing - it is NOT metal.)

My favorite reviewer once wrote:
    If you think you know Pain Of Salvation's music and can guess what this one sounds like, forget it. This is like nothing you've ever heard before.

Be is a collection of contrasts, which makes it one of the most challenging records you'll hear this year. It is brilliant, yet some parts are pure cliché. It is philosophical, yet some parts are utterly corny. It is deep, and serious, yet some parts are pompous and melodramatic. Those contrasts are deliberate, of course, but they'll leave your head spinning.

The contrasts continue: There is excellent progressive metal, and there are down-home biblical blues. There is classical music and there are folk tunes. There are deeply philosophical voiceovers and there's a silly skit with a boyfriend making puerile and inappropriate requests of his girlfriend while a radio talk show is playing in the background exploring philosophical issues (the contrast, you see!). There are power ballads, symphonic instrumentals, and traditional pieces. There's a heavy Latin percussion passage, and spoken verses that border on rap. Classical instrumentation is never far from the surface, which contributes an important texture of credibility to the music, and there is a beautiful purely classical track starting with an interesting piano solo that builds into a full orchestral piece. It goes from baroque to blues, from hard rock to symphonic prog, and from gospel to country. And most important of all, thankfully, there are even a few tracks that will recall the band's brilliant Remedy Lane.

And considering the band's background it is interesting to note that metal is the style that appears least often.

The record starts with snippets of spoken voices, with a man and a teenage boy separately exploring their very existence. There's a section that sounds like you're in the National Security Agency intercepting peoples' heartfelt prayers to an apparently unresponsive God. (Hi God, it's me again, from Earth. I know you haven't returned any of my previous calls, and maybe you're simply not there – but …) There are radio newscasts, and counts of the world's population at various times, and there is a thunderstorm.

Even though you've heard these types of inserts before, the collection of disparate elements here cannot be absorbed in one sitting. There's so much going on in this CD that – rightly or wrongly –it is this range of elements that defines this album more than the excellent music itself.

Be is almost impossible to review accurately, and it is a fascinating listen albeit a challenging one. On the one hand, it may lack cohesion – yet on the other hand, there are flashes of genius that make it a must have for any adventurous listener.

Track Listing

Animae Partus Deus Nova
    Imago
    Pluvius Aestivus
    Lilium Cruentus
    Nauticus
    Dea Pecuniae
    Vocari Dei
    Diffidentia
    Nihil Morari
    Latertius Valette
    Omni
    Iter Impius
    Matius/Nauticus II
    Animae Partus II

Added: October 26th 2004
    Reviewer: Duncan Glenday
    Score: 4.5 / 5
    (See http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=1705 for this, and another review by pain Of Salvation scholar, Murat Batmaz.)

And a few months later, that excellent reviewer wrote (on another site) about the DVD:

Be is so much more than just a very good, very ambitious record by a gifted group of musicians. I made my opinion of Pain Of Salvation's extremely ambitious new album Be very clear in my review, posted on these hallowed pages in September 2004 - so what could the DVD possibly offer that the CD didn't?

Well after staring at the TV screen mesmerized for an hour, and playing it again and again, I have to confess that I now have a better far appreciation of the music. In addition a friend from Turkey has been waxing lyrical about Pain of Salvation for several weeks, which caused me to revisit the band's back catalog. You educated me, Murat, and this DVD has me sold.

The DVD was recorded over two performances in a series of live shows played on a purpose-built stage at Lokomotivet, an industry hall in Eskilstuna, Sweden. And what a stage it is - clutter-free but for acoustic guitars fixed in stands, huge, tiered and shaped, with a big pool of water in an arrow-shaped pond. Elements of the nine piece "Orchestra of Eternity" were dispersed in various locations, and the band members were spread apart for a clean and dramatic look. I wish the videographers had recorded more footage of the whole stage, properly lit, to provide an appreciation of its scale. Interestingly, it's the same stage where the band played a performance of Jesus Christ Superstar. The filming shows more close-ups of the musicians hands in the keyboards and fretboards than usual, but more would have been better - even if they were imbedded as alternate viewing angles. The DVD includes a copy of the audio CD and a 50-page booklet, and sounds excellent on 5.1 audio. (Look for the Easter eggs on the video!)

Be was the culmination of years of study of religion, philosophy, existentialism, theology, teleology (the exploration of all natural processes being directed toward an end or shaped by a purpose) and ontology (a branch of metaphysics concerned with the nature and relations of being). Deep stuff indeed, and not a subject that lends itself naturally to music. So Pain Of Salvation's answer to that challenge was to introduce a huge variety of disparate elements to the music. Like the CD, the DVD starts with a philosophical vocal segment that sets the mood for the rest of the album. The live performance is close to the CD, though not exactly the same. The lyrics differ and some of the CD's skits are absent, but then, it was recorded before the studio release. It also has numerous vocal inserts that lend credence to the concept, but frankly get old after multiple viewings.

But Be is about the music - and what music it is! It ranges from a wonderful classically oriented piece in which the editors wisely focus on the pianist Frederik Hermannson's technique, to a folksy piece, to metal, to deep southern blues to huge soundscapes of orchestra-backed symphonic progressive rock. There's a big array of instruments, and in many parts it takes on the grandiose feel of a 1970s rock opera. Among the instruments is what looks like a mandola, but with a guitar's string and fret layout, apparently built by Daniel's grandfather. Rather than using a conductor, the shows were played over a click-track which also ran loops and kept the performers honest, with no possibility of re-takes.

There are constant costume changes and lighting color changes. There's a section in which band leader and key songwriter Daniel Gildenl?w kneels in the pool, dips his hair into the water, pulls on a wet jacket and makes a show of tying up his hair and donning a pair of sunglasses, and he starts singing the next ballad barefoot in the water. This is just one example of the showmanship on the video. The many symbolic actions like this look extremely pretentious on the surface, but don't write them off. There's clear purpose to these actions. I've watched the DVD several times, and still more viewings will be required to unearth the many facets of this video. It's that sort of a production, and Be is that sort of music.

Listen to the commentary track. It's the whole DVD played as normal, but with an overlay of Daniel and Frederik talking you through the production and the symbolism. Very enlightening.

Be is melodramatic and pretentious, and borders on brilliant - and the DVD works beautifully. By definition, being a live show, the DVD ought to be worse than the CD. Don't ask why, but I find that I far prefer the DVD. The CD seemed to lack cohesion but the clearer visual representation of the symbolism on the DVD pull the whole thing together. Be is so much more than just a very good, very ambitious record by a gifted group of musicians. It's flawed in parts, but on balance, it's a bloody masterpiece.
    http://www.progressiveworld.net/html...ontent&id=1614

Regards,

Duncan

This was the beginning of the end for me. LOVED Remedy Lane and Perfect Element. There are a few tunes I like on BE and there's a lot of beautiful music in here. In fact 'Iter Impius' may be one of my favorite PoS tunes, but overall I found the whole concept to be too pretentious for my taste.

I don't know what the hell happened to them after this album.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Scott, I agree about Remedy Lane ... and Be was the album where the band took a major turn in their musical direction. On first listen, I hated Be. But I came to like it, and was more impressed with each listen.

What also helped was when Daniel explained to me the meaning behind many of the soundbites and voice-overs. Nothing was put there just for effect - every sound on the album had some kind of meaning - some obvious, and many pretty well hidden.

And every time anyone says "Remedy lane, I get a f***ing earworm. THANKS!

LOL
    Regards,

Duncan

This is one of those albums, that grew and grew on me. I give them props for really trying something different. Most of it works for me.

Steve Sly

I know that TPE seems to be the most frequent choice for their 'best', but I still think it's this one.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

A good one. Ironically, one that I was warned about (for being too metal...) but one of their best. (And last one I'd consider anywhere near essential)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I love this one! It's my favorite PoS album. While I can't argue with those that find it pretentious the subject matter is right up my alley. It's nice to see some thoughtfulness and intelligence in rock lyrics. Although the spoken word pieces (Animae Partus and Deus Nova) wear thin upon repeated hearings they are part of the story. Imago is far and away my favorite song off of this, tho I think the album, despite it's diversity, holds together very well and is rather consistent. I love Gildenlow's voice. emotion and soulfulness on all of this, including the Mr. Money passages, which I don't find the suitable contrast to the subject matter Daniel felt the story needed.

I personally think the pretentiousness of this weighs it down somewhat. I put it toward the bottom of their catalog, but even the bottom of their catalog is pretty damn good.

I admit I find there are times when Daniel tries to get too arty, but that doesn`t detract from the rest of the recording. Some people might describe it as bloated, but I consider it dark and dense.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Although I place this below all their other releases up to this point, I still like it a lot.

There is a lot of great stuff on this, and quite easy to ignore the bad.

They just completely lost me after this.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Indeed, Be is an overblown, pretentious, self-indulgent work that detractors of Prog would have a hay-day with......and I love it!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Duncan, how.do you feel about the Be DVD? I have a sealed copy staring me in the face. Should I.crack it open?

Jed,

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Duncan, how.do you feel about the Be DVD? I have a sealed copy staring me in the face. Should I.crack it open?
    Crack it open!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Be is so much more than just a very good, very ambitious record by a gifted group of musicians. I made my opinion of Pain Of Salvation's extremely ambitious new album Be very clear in my review, posted on these hallowed pages in September 2004 - so what could the DVD possibly offer that the CD didn't?

Well after staring at the TV screen mesmerized for an hour, and playing it again and again, I have to confess that I now have a better far appreciation of the music. In addition a friend from Turkey has been waxing lyrical about Pain of Salvation for several weeks, which caused me to revisit the band's back catalog. You educated me, Murat, and this DVD has me sold.

The DVD was recorded over two performances in a series of live shows played on a purpose-built stage at Lokomotivet, an industry hall in Eskilstuna, Sweden. And what a stage it is - clutter-free but for acoustic guitars fixed in stands, huge, tiered and shaped, with a big pool of water in an arrow-shaped pond. Elements of the nine piece "Orchestra of Eternity" were dispersed in various locations, and the band members were spread apart for a clean and dramatic look. I wish the videographers had recorded more footage of the whole stage, properly lit, to provide an appreciation of its scale. Interestingly, it's the same stage where the band played a performance of Jesus Christ Superstar. The filming shows more close-ups of the musicians hands in the keyboards and fretboards than usual, but more would have been better - even if they were imbedded as alternate viewing angles. The DVD includes a copy of the audio CD and a 50-page booklet, and sounds excellent on 5.1 audio. (Look for the Easter eggs on the video!)

Be was the culmination of years of study of religion, philosophy, existentialism, theology, teleology (the exploration of all natural processes being directed toward an end or shaped by a purpose) and ontology (a branch of metaphysics concerned with the nature and relations of being). Deep stuff indeed, and not a subject that lends itself naturally to music. So Pain Of Salvation's answer to that challenge was to introduce a huge variety of disparate elements to the music. Like the CD, the DVD starts with a philosophical vocal segment that sets the mood for the rest of the album. The live performance is close to the CD, though not exactly the same. The lyrics differ and some of the CD's skits are absent, but then, it was recorded before the studio release. It also has numerous vocal inserts that lend credence to the concept, but frankly get old after multiple viewings.

But Be is about the music - and what music it is! It ranges from a wonderful classically oriented piece in which the editors wisely focus on the pianist Frederik Hermannson's technique, to a folksy piece, to metal, to deep southern blues to huge soundscapes of orchestra-backed symphonic progressive rock. There's a big array of instruments, and in many parts it takes on the grandiose feel of a 1970s rock opera. Among the instruments is what looks like a mandola, but with a guitar's string and fret layout, apparently built by Daniel's grandfather. Rather than using a conductor, the shows were played over a click-track which also ran loops and kept the performers honest, with no possibility of re-takes.

There are constant costume changes and lighting color changes. There's a section in which band leader and key songwriter Daniel Gildenl?w kneels in the pool, dips his hair into the water, pulls on a wet jacket and makes a show of tying up his hair and donning a pair of sunglasses, and he starts singing the next ballad barefoot in the water. This is just one example of the showmanship on the video. The many symbolic actions like this look extremely pretentious on the surface, but don't write them off. There's clear purpose to these actions. I've watched the DVD several times, and still more viewings will be required to unearth the many facets of this video. It's that sort of a production, and Be is that sort of music.

Listen to the commentary track. It's the whole DVD played as normal, but with an overlay of Daniel and Frederik talking you through the production and the symbolism. Very enlightening.

Be is melodramatic and pretentious, and borders on brilliant - and the DVD works beautifully. By definition, being a live show, the DVD ought to be worse than the CD. Don't ask why, but I find that I far prefer the DVD. The CD seemed to lack cohesion but the clearer visual representation of the symbolism on the DVD pull the whole thing together. Be is so much more than just a very good, very ambitious record by a gifted group of musicians. It's flawed in parts, but on balance, it's a bloody masterpiece.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You can probably just scroll to the bottom of the OP and watch the whole show without having to crack the cellophane.

The pretentiousness is what makes BE so great, I think. At least someone tried to be as ambitious as this with a single-CD album!