Thread: Renaissance Concert Review Atlanta GA

Renaissance Concert Review Atlanta GA

Well, here I am again reviewing another great concert! This has been a great year for concerts in Atlanta so far! Last night was one for the ages. Renaissance was supposed to play here last October but had to cancel due to Annie Haslam's back issues. Little did anyone know that only a few short weeks later there would be an even greater tragedy with the sudden death of Michael Dunford. When that happened I thought maybe it would be the end for the group. But they kept going and last night was proof that Michael is still with the band, if only in spirit.

Don't think this will be much of a spoiler for anyone since this tour was billed as playing 2 of their best albums in their entirety: Turn of the Cards and Scheherazade and Other Stories. This was truly a magical night.....but before they started Turn of the Cards, the band played what Annie said was one of Michael's favorite songs, Carpet of the Sun. Just an excellent way to start the evening!

From there, on came the entire Turn of the Cards and Scheherazade. Both were just fantastic! (If you don't have it, buy the DVD that came out recently where they performed these two WITH Dunford in 2011. It is well worth it!) Even though I love every Renaissance release, Scheherazade has always been my favourite. Once they got to the song itself, I couldn't believe how well they were playing as a band! Jason Hart, the second keyboard player was playing practically every part that was original played by an orchestra on the studio version. Annie even said before they started that Michael had given him over 80 pages of music to learn for this one song alone! You could tell! He was one busy bee, but pulled it off excellently!

After Scheherazade, the band came back out and played 2 songs from their new CD Grandine il Vento. Both were excellent. I had just received my autographed copy from Kickstarter campaign yesterday and was able to hear the entire CD before the show. It is an excellent CD! You all should get this!

So, after waiting for 35 years to see Renaissance again I was able to enjoy 2 complete albums! Even though Annie is the only remaining original member, this band has been together for a while. Rave Tesar, the other keyboard player in the group, has been with her for many years. David Keyes is an excellent singer and bass player. And Frank Pagano has a fantastic touch on the drums. And Annie? Well the angel can still sing!

A very memorable night in Atlanta!

It's great to hear that they can still perform up to their usual excellent standards. I was a bit surprised to hear that they're still playing those 2 albums. I thought that when the 2013 tour was planned they were going to highlight two different albums (Novella &, maybe, the new one).
    Last edited by Casey; 04-24-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

It sounds magical indeed! Thanks for sharing. What was your impression of the new guitarist, Ryche Chlanda ? The DVD/double CD is fantastic and everyone should own it. It's not very expensive and is on Amazon.
    Last edited by rapidfirerob; 04-24-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    It's great to hear that they can still perform up to their usual excellent standards. I was a bit surprised to hear that they're still playing those 2 albums. I thought that when the 2013 tour was planned they were going to highlight to different albums (Novella &, maybe, the new one).
    Maybe it was the issue of getting Ryche up to speed - the rest of the band would be tight and practiced on the older show, and that would have made it easier for him.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    It sounds magical indeed! Thanks for sharing. What was your impression of the new guitarist, Ryche Chlanda ? The DVD/double CD is fantastic and everyone should own it. It's not very expensive and is on Amazon.
    The new guitarist was excellent, and a good singer as well. Like Michael, he never really stood out. He was swapping between 2 different acoustic guitars all night. I remember in October when they were supposed to come originally, Novella and Song for All Seasons was going to be the two. I suspect with all that's happened they decided not to do those just yet. Still an incredible show though!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Maybe it was the issue of getting Ryche up to speed - the rest of the band would be tight and practiced on the older show, and that would have made it easier for him.
    Though the quote above might have been a fortunate by-product of the decision to play TotC/Scheherazade, me thinks it was simply the fact that for those venues that is the show/presentation that was originally advertised and slated to be performed in 2012 before the need to postpone the shows last year due to Annie's back injury.

Peace,
    Alex

Sounds fantastic!
    I'll be seeing the band on Friday night in Orlando. Very excited for my first Renaissance show since the late 70's. Wonder if Annie will remember me?

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Sounds fantastic!
    I'll be seeing the band on Friday night in Orlando. Very excited for my first Renaissance show since the late 70's. Wonder if Annie will remember me?
    Funny you should say that....In 1978 I was co-manager of a record (yes, record) store here in Atlanta. We arranged for an in store appearance with Renaissance before their last show here (at Symphony Hall). During that instore promotion I had the fortune of having my picture taken with Annie. Last night I asked my wife if I should take that picture to show her after the show, and possibly have her sign it. She rolled her eyes. I knew then I was being too much of a fan-boy!!!!

Needless to say, the picture stayed at home.....

The band's previous Atlanta appearance was in 1981 at the long-gone Agora Ballroom on the Camera Camera tour. Photo from last night:

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    And Frank Pagano has a fantastic touch on the drums.
    Dummer on this tour is Joe Goldberger. Joe has substituted for Frank before, and performed in Annie Haslam's solo band in the past (including in 1998 at Variety Playhouse!)

At the show I was thinking to myself "I wonder how many PE'ers are here tonight?" Apparently at least a couple. My wife and I saw Annie in '98 at the Variety (great show, Live Under Brazilian Skies was the new album then) and last night. I echo flatliner's positive assessment, the musicians played impeccably and Annie was wonderful. Coupla tidbits: the show started a bit late because Annie said she stubbed her toe backstage and had her toe on ice before coming out (she was in stocking feet as you can perhaps see in esa's photo). Also, the funniest moment was when she called the drummer to the front of the stage and he did the moonwalk and sang a snippet of "Carpet of the Sun" backwards - it was hilarious. Annie introduced the songs and engaged the audience, she's a remarkable presence. The audience was appreciative and the band seemed to enjoy playing.

If you get a chance to catch this band you really should.

I highly enjoyed the Albany show 2 weeks ago. Keyboardist Jason Hart was indeed a busy bee. Besides the orchestral parts I liked how he added choir to the vocal harmonies.

It's great to hear that the new tour is working so well. I wonder if they have plans to reschedule their Washington, DC show, postponed last October. I don't see anything nearby listed in their current tour schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I remember in October when they were supposed to come originally, Novella and Song for All Seasons was going to be the two.
    I had not heard that Song for All Seasons was scheduled to be performed at any show. Was it ever performed?

Quote Originally Posted by Finn_McCool View Post
    I had not heard that Song for All Seasons was scheduled to be performed at any show. Was it ever performed?
    Song for All Seasons album was not planned for fall 2012 tour - it was Novella with selections from the new album: http://renaissancetouring.com/2012/0...-concert-tour/
    Last edited by esa; 04-25-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: misunderstood

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    It's great to hear that the new tour is working so well. I wonder if they have plans to reschedule their Washington, DC show, postponed last October. I don't see anything nearby listed in their current tour schedule.
    I was supposed to attend that show as well, it was never rescheduled...

Wow! That photograph is terrific. I saw them in 2011 in Londonderry, NH in a venue & on a stage that were quite small.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I was there and I also thought it was great. I saw them at NF also, but I can actually say that I enjoyed them more at the Variety P.

A fantastic show in Orlando on Friday night! Best of all, I got to sit in on the sound check and meet Annie after the show. She was kind enough to chat for a minute and sign this invitation I've had since 1974 to a reception for the band at Luchows following a show at The Academy of Music in NYC. Definitely one of the thrills of my lifetime.

IMG_0124.jpg

Ryche told me at facebook,that the 2 Fireballets are coming soon on cd w/extra/new tracks that nobody but the band and friends have heard. " Hang in there" he says.

He also told me it was an honor to play with Renaissance. He's very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Ryche told me at facebook,that the 2 Fireballets are coming soon on cd w/extra/new tracks that nobody but the band and friends have heard. " Hang in there" he says.

He also told me it was an honor to play with Renaissance. He's very happy.
    I can understand his elation!