Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Judas Priest !

Judas Priest !

Saw them way back on the Sin after Sin tour. Great band back then but I started to lose interest after the Killing Machine album & even more so during their more commercial period !Bought the Nostradamus album which is OK !

What are your favourite JP albums ?

Unleashed in the East. (assuming that counts).

I saw them thrice back in the heyday (pre-1981) and began to lose interest at about the same time.

I still have KK Downing's guitar pick from back then.

I also saw Judas Priest several times in the "early" days. "Sad Wings of Destiny" is my favorite by them. But they had a great run of albums from "Rocka Rolla" through "British Steel", as long as you can forgive some awful lyrics. I know that you gave up during their commercial period, but if you're feeling adventurous, check out the album "Painkiller" (from 1991, I think). It is a great metal album by them.

Though I loved them in the 80s (Hey! I was that age!) today I only ever listen to their 70s output. Sad Wings/Sin After Sin/ Stained Class being my favorites.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think Sad Wings of Destiny is a masterpiece in rock. I own 2 or 3 others which are mid-period and good but not like the heights of Sad Wings.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I got into them recently, about a year ago, or so. I have "Hell Bent/Killing Machine","British Steel," and "Screaming For Vengeance." Favorite of the three is Hell Bent/Killing Machine. British Steel is pretty good too but the best tracks are on the first side.

My favorites are Sin After Sin and British Steel. I actually like almost everything they did while Rob Halford was in the band originally. I haven't listened to Ram It Down in ages, the main thing I remember from that is the cover of Johnny B Goode. I never did get Painkiller nor any of the records with that geek who replaced Rob. I always had the impression the records they did with the new guy, they were trying to keep pace with the likes of Pantera, which I thought was a mistake.

But even Turbo has a couple songs I like, and I still think both Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders Of The Faith were really solid records.

Priest is a band that I have learned to appreciate more as I have gotten older. I did not get into them that much when they first started out, but I saw them on the “Defenders Of The Faith” tour and they won me over. I remember thinking it was like seeing a comic book come to life. It was cheesy as hell with the big “Metallion” (or whatever they called it) big robot thing stage show, but it was a ton of fun. As for favorite album, I would probably go with “British Steel” as my number 1 studio release. All 3 of their live albums are also great IMO. I also think that “Ram It Down” and especially “Painkiller” were a couple of years ahead of their time. I think they were a little bit too brutal for a lot of Priest fans at the time, but other bands would make the same style popular just a few years later. My favorite Priest that I own though is the “Metalogy” box set. 4 CD’s / 1 DVD that cover the band’s entire career up through 2004. It has pretty much everything you would want from them up to that point.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Are their any fans of Rocka Rolla? I love that CD. Watching YouTube clips from that time period is a hoot, because you get to see Halford with long hair.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Are their any fans of Rocka Rolla? I love that CD. Watching YouTube clips from that time period is a hoot, because you get to see Halford with long hair.
    I had heard Sad Wings & Sin after Sin before I heard Rocka Rolla so was obviosly dissapointed when I heard it ! Its probably the Whistle Test footage your referring too ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I had heard Sad Wings & Sin after Sin before I heard Rocka Rolla so was obviosly dissapointed when I heard it ! Its probably the Whistle Test footage your referring too ?
    Yes. That's it, Rufus.

Have everything from Rocka Rolla through Defenders of the Faith. My favorite is Hell Bent For Leather. I had Turbo on vinyl and apart from one or two songs, I thought it was total shit and never got it on CD.

I heard Painkiller, and I remember not liking it too much. It was too thrashy.

I bought the first reunion album with Halford, and it's....OK. I won't get rid of it, but if it got lost I wouldn't bother to replace it.

Someone gave me a copy of Nostradamus, and to me it's on par with the first reunion album.

I would have thought Stained Class would have gotten some mentions here. "Beyond The Realms Of Death" may be as close to "epic" as the band ever got.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I like guys with long hair better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I would have thought Stained Class would have gotten some mentions here. "Beyond The Realms Of Death" may be as close to "epic" as the band ever got.
    It's basically just Suite Madame Blue, with a metal twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's basically just Suite Madame Blue, with a metal twist.
    yeah...EPIC!
    I don't recall any kids killing themselves to Suite Madame Blue (though I do recall wishing I was dead a few times when that "Red, White & Blue..." section would kick in)!

Amen! I dug the debut through Defenders. Heard the rest and it just didn't matter any more to me, I guess. Some was well done and some was way cheesy.

The eons are closing
    Say what you want about JPs post Vengeance output, at least they never went down the shitter like the Scorpions

yeah...EPIC!
    I don't recall any kids killing themselves to Suite Madame Blue (though I do recall wishing I was dead a few times when that "Red, White & Blue..." section would kick in)!

That's because your average teenaged Styx fan's parents are smart enough to not give their disturbed kids things like rifles for Christmas. They also have the sense to keep the liquor cabinet locked up.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 04-25-2013 at 10:48 PM.

The early stuff is awight but Sad Wings was the pinnacle for me. I couldn't stand Turbo when it came out but it's got some good songs in retrospect.

From the second album through to Defenders for me - even the commercial shit is heavier than hell.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    There are some epic songs on the first three Priest albums.

Nowadays, I only have two albums from Priest (bought a few vinyls at the time, but got rid of most) >> Sad Wings and Unleashed in The Studio (here we go again )...

Basically, I had most vinyls until BS and its awful successor... Of course, their absolute top is Sad Wings of Destiny (which I played transparent)... and I had never really got into Sin After Sin or their next few, to be honest

I do remeber that Idid have a soft spot for Rocka Rolla, but didn't realy consider it as a full-blown Priest album... but it's been decades since I last heard... I guess I'll have to reinvestigate
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

\m/ (> ^ <) \m/

First saw Priest in 78 or so opening for KISS. They were awful. By 81 really got into them and now they are a real favorite of mine and my youngest sons. Saw them numerous times in the 80s and 4 times since Halford has been back. They never disappoint and seeing Scott Travis is a real treat.

Favorite album is Stained Class just because it has my all time 3 favorite Priest tracks in: Title track, Beyond the Realms and Better By You, Better than Me.