Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 206

Thread: Judas Priest !

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well early Priest was rather interesting until they started with all that S&M leather and sruds that became so cliché for HM. for years..
    The "heavy metal look" wasn't cliche when Priest started dressing that way. The S&M look came out of Rob Halford's being gay.

  2. #52
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,778
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    The "heavy metal look" wasn't cliche when Priest started dressing that way. The S&M look came out of Rob Halford's being gay.
    That's mùore or less what I meant....THEY started the cliché
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    That's mùore or less what I meant....THEY started the cliché
    The point being the bands that copied them didn't know that Rob started dressing that way because he was gay. It only became cliche later. Why blame that on Priest?
    Last edited by JIF; 02-09-2014 at 04:58 AM.

  4. #54
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,376
    Vic,
    I would highly recommend listening to Sad Wings Of Destiny by JP
    I'll get around to it one of these days. I need to get Stained Class and the other 70s albums. I have Hell Bent For Leather, which is still my favorite of the 3 I have.

    Never did really get what the big deal over British Steel was.
    I think it's a fine album for 1980. It's kind of like 1980 was "year one" for heavy metal. Yes I know 1980 was not "year one" but it just seemed like older guard bands were starting over and hard/rock and heavy metal were more more popular and mainstream than ever. Black Sabbath with Heaven & Hell just crushed everything else. AC/DC conquered the world with Back In Black, the NWOBHM really was in full force by then too. I haven't heard too many Priest albums so I can't compare British Steel but I think it's damn good.

  5. #55
    Sad Wings of Destiny is a notch or two or three above early Maiden & Sabbath albums which i binned years ago!

  6. #56
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Sad Wings of Destiny is a notch or two or three above early Maiden & Sabbath albums which i binned years ago!
    The first Maiden is on par with Heaven & Hell and Sad Wings, IMHO...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The first Maiden is on par with Heaven & Hell and Sad Wings, IMHO...
    Really? Very surprised you rate it so highly!

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The first Maiden is on par with Heaven & Hell and Sad Wings, IMHO...
    I agree and rate their second even better.

    I was lucky enough to see Priest three times before 1981. Loved them. I lost a lot of interest after that, because the material became a bit too commercial. Seems like, once a band begins to get airplay, they've lost their edge and I lose interest. I did see them years later at OzzFest and they were okay. But, of course, after all of those years, the fire was gone, and Halford's voice just sounded like one big heavy metal cliche by that time.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  9. #59
    I got into Priest when Unleashed In The East came out. What a powerful amazing album this is, and I realize it was heavily overdubbed... but regardless, the end product is amaze-balls regardless of whether it's an accurate live presentation. And I still really enjoy today. After getting that one, I quickly gobbled up all of the 70's output. I think Sad Wings was a favorite.

    Then they came out with Point of Entry, which I thought was a disappointment and a change to a more commercial direction. I then saw the tour, first time seeing them, and wasn't very impressed. I thought Halford came off really... ahem, gay ... in his stage persona, and whatdaknow... (not that there's anything wrong being gay, but I wish I would have known he was going to be all Freddie Mercury!) So, after that I really lost interest in them and at the same time I was just getting into this prog thing, which was probably just a fad.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    not that there's anything wrong being gay
    Indeed. the first time I saw them was on Halloween night in '78. Rob had, apparently just cut his hair and was wearing make-up. I just attributed the makeup and his posturing to the fact that it was Halloween. But, later, when he came out, things made a little more sense.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  11. #61
    Halloween is a time when a lot of people get away with a lot of stuff.

  12. #62
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,991
    Halford didn't come out as gay until the late 90s (though it should have been obvious to most). The leather thing was not a part of his sexuality. He claimed he didn't even know that there was a gay leather scene when Priest first adopted the look.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Halford didn't come out as gay until the late 90s (though it should have been obvious to most). The leather thing was not a part of his sexuality. He claimed he didn't even know that there was a gay leather scene when Priest first adopted the look.
    I buy that. It was always a kick when he brought the Harley on stage for the encore.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  14. #64
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Really? Very surprised you rate it so highly!
    Yeah I don't think that first Maiden album is all that great. For me Maiden really didn't hit their stride until Bruce joined. They certainly eclipsed (at the very least) Priest and Sabbath in the mid 80s. But for me H&H and British Steel blow that first Maiden album outta the water.

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Halford didn't come out as gay until the late 90s (though it should have been obvious to most). The leather thing was not a part of his sexuality. He claimed he didn't even know that there was a gay leather scene when Priest first adopted the look.
    I got into a huge argument about it with my guitar player in '86 or so, so the rumor was certainly out there. I'm not sure if I really buy the stuff about not knowing there was a scene either- in those days the only place you'd probably be able to buy that stuff would be in an S&M themed store- which could cater to straights or gays but if you were gay you'd know what it was all about.

  16. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I got into a huge argument about it with my guitar player in '86 or so, so the rumor was certainly out there. I'm not sure if I really buy the stuff about not knowing there was a scene either- in those days the only place you'd probably be able to buy that stuff would be in an S&M themed store- which could cater to straights or gays but if you were gay you'd know what it was all about.
    I remember the members of Kiss saying that in the early days, they had to go to S&M shops to have their costumes made. I believe they said they had to use belts for guitar straps, because back then nobody was making leather guitar straps with studs or lightning bolts or whatever on them. I imagine it would have been a similar situation in the UK, though obviously the Priest look was a bit different.

    I always loved Rob's response (after he came out) when it's mentioned metal chicks thought he was hot back in the day: "What?! Didn't you know?!". I always thought the "gay cinema" crowd missed an opportunity when Rob came out. It would have been a perfect thing to stick in a movie, where someone says the first time he saw Judas Priest his "gaydar" went off or whatever.

  17. #67
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Really? Very surprised you rate it so highly!
    Their best ever, because it's raw and wild... There is a bit of punkish spirit in it

    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I agree and rate their second even better.
    Not me.... They sounded Purple-ized by Martin Birch (as did most of the following ones)... Not a bad lbum, per se... but not the "real" Iron Maiden to my ears...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Yeah I don't think that first Maiden album is all that great. For me Maiden really didn't hit their stride until Bruce joined. They certainly eclipsed (at the very least) Priest and Sabbath in the mid 80s. But for me H&H and British Steel blow that first Maiden album outta the water.
    May I suggest you re-listen to it with fresh ears?? I started with the debut, so when Killers and Number came out, I was disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I buy that. It was always a kick when he brought the Harley on stage for the encore.
    Well, I' never thought of Halford as gay until he made his coming out.... It wasn't blatant as it was for Boy George, Freddie Mercury or George Michael...

    And to be honest, I couldn't have given less a hhot when that "news" camùe out
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I started with the debut, so when Killers and Number came out, I was disappointed
    I also began with the first and it is my personal favorite. I do think "Killers" a better, more-polished album with stronger material. But I still prefer the debut. And I'll take both of them over anything that followed.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  19. #69
    As far as Maiden goes, I think everything up through Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is golden. I do agree the production on the first album is a bit rough around the edges, but there's some good songs on that. Having said that, my favorite Di'Anno era track is Prodigal Son, on the next album.

  20. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Halford didn't come out as gay until the late 90s (though it should have been obvious to most). The leather thing was not a part of his sexuality. He claimed he didn't even know that there was a gay leather scene when Priest first adopted the look.
    If you ever watched Behind The Music, Rob did say that the leather was an expression of his sexuality, since the band and manager suggested he not come out. He even remarked how he looked like Glen Hughes from The Village People(the biker).

    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I got into a huge argument about it with my guitar player in '86 or so, so the rumor was certainly out there. I'm not sure if I really buy the stuff about not knowing there was a scene either- in those days the only place you'd probably be able to buy that stuff would be in an S&M themed store- which could cater to straights or gays but if you were gay you'd know what it was all about.
    Ram It Down? Point Of Entry? Also, listen to the lyrics of Raw Deal from Sin After Sin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not me.... They sounded Purple-ized by Martin Birch (as did most of the following ones)...
    I Never thought that Maiden sounded like Deep Purple.

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    If you ever watched Behind The Music, Rob did say that the leather was an expression of his sexuality, since the band and manager suggested he not come out. He even remarked how he looked like Glen Hughes from The Village People(the biker).
    Yeah, "I looked like Glenn from The Village People, and nobody got it!".

  22. #72
    Maiden doesn't sound like Deep Purple at all. (IMHO)

  23. #73
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,778
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I Never thought that Maiden sounded like Deep Purple.
    It's not like you'd confused the two bands or that Maiden could've been strongly inspired on Purple ... For proof that the debut Maiden album sounds nothing like Purple...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim35 View Post
    Maiden doesn't sound like Deep Purple at all. (IMHO)
    Well, listen to their two DiAnno albums... the first is self-produced (if memory serves).... Killers is produced by Martin Birch and it sounds like it (which is somewhat normal as it might be a trademark sound).... However, everytime I listen to Killers (which is not often, and much less than the debut), I can't help but thinking how Killers sounds like Roger Glover might have passed in studio, behind Martin Birch

    Other albums's production are the logical continuation and bear the same production techniques.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  24. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, listen to their two DiAnno albums... the first is self-produced (if memory serves)
    Maiden's self-titled debut was not self-produced. It was produced by Will Malone, who did orchestral arrangements on albums by Black Sabbath and Rick Wakeman.

  25. #75
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,778
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, listen to their two DiAnno albums... the first is self-produced (if memory serves)
    Maiden's self-titled debut was not self-produced. It was produced by Will Malone, who did orchestral arrangements on albums by Black Sabbath and Rick Wakeman.
    My bad .... I'll blame it on Al Zheimer
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •