Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Judas Priest !

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Say what you want about JPs post Vengeance output, at least they never went down the shitter like the Scorpions

Maybe not, but they came awfully close with Turbo, Ram It Down and the Ripper Owens albums.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Maybe not, but they came awfully close with Turbo, Ram It Down and the Ripper Owens albums.
    The Ripper Owens albums? I don't have Jugulator, but Demolition sounds nothing like a Scorpions album. Priest was always ten times heavier. Too bad The Scorpions can't(or won't) go back to making stuff like Fly To A Rainbow or Taken By Force.

They came closest to "jumping the shark" with Turbo. What the hell was that all about?!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

My favorite album is Stained Class, with Sad Wings a very close second.

I like everything up through Killing Machine/Hell Bent. I got off the bus after British Steel (which I only like about half of).

I saw them in '79 on the Unleashed tour. Great show.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    The Ripper Owens albums? I don't have Jugulator, but Demolition sounds nothing like a Scorpions album. Priest was always ten times heavier. Too bad The Scorpions can't(or won't) go back to making stuff like Fly To A Rainbow or Taken By Force.
    Yea, I was thinking the same thing. The Ripper Owens albums sound nothing like Scorpions. Priest were trying to do a more contemporary style of metal which turned a lot of people off, but I thought the albums were pretty good.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I wasn't trying to suggest that Priest sounded like Scorpions, merely that the dip in quality was there for both bands by the mid 80s.

I'll tell you the worst. It's "Point of Entry" and everything post "Defenders Of The Faith" (except "Painkiller").
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have to give a shout out to the debut, Rocka Rolla. I know for a lot of people, it's a weak album, but i think it's quite good. I guess JP is still sort of finding their way, but in many respects, Rocka Rolla reminds me of the first album by Captain Beyond mixed with a bit of Led Zeppelin. I like it.

Banned
    I have to give a shout out to the debut, Rocka Rolla. I know for a lot of people, it's a weak album, but i think it's quite good. I guess JP is still sort of finding their way, but in many respects, Rocka Rolla reminds me of the first album by Captain Beyond mixed with a bit of Led Zeppelin. I like it.
    I'm a fan of Rocka Rolla. To me, it has a vibe similar to the first Black Sabbath album(both produced by Roger Bain and both featuring medleys). Also, both bands are from Birmingham, England.

one of my very fave bands. i love the cd's stained class and british steel and then screaming for vengeance and then painkiller and then hell bent for leather.

Point of entry is awesome!

I find that the older I get, I reach for Rocka Rolla, Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Unleashed in the East and Hell Bent For Leather/Killing Machine more than the later albums. British Steel for me has been completely played out for decades, and while Screaming For Vengeance & Defenders of the Faith are great albums, I'm pretty burnt out on them too. The '70s album just have that dark, menacing feel to them that I love.

Painkiller kicks some serious ass though!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    I find that the older I get, I reach for Rocka Rolla, Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Unleashed in the East and Hell Bent For Leather/Killing Machine more than the later albums. British Steel for me has been completely played out for decades, and while Screaming For Vengeance & Defenders of the Faith are great albums, I'm pretty burnt out on them too. The '70s album just have that dark, menacing feel to them that I love.

Painkiller kicks some serious ass though!
    I'm with you there.

Banned
    Does anyone own(or know about) the Complete Albums Collection? Saw it on Amazon for a nice price.

Never liked the first album but Ian Atkin's versions of those early songs kick ass, more so than Priests!

Lost interest after Stained Class!!!

I think I played the debut once or twice. From 'Sad Wings...' through to and including 'British Steel' they were brilliant. The latter is seemingly underrated here but I find it a very credible attempt at bridging metal with hook-laden songs. It also has things like 'Rapid Fire' and 'The Rage' which could easily have been on the earlier albums.

I like 'Screaming For Vengeance' after that. Most of the albums which followed I have never heard, only the odd song here and there.

As this has been bumped up I'll take the opportunity to provide the link to my interview with KK from a few months back:-

http://www.themidlandsrocks.com/defe...idlands-rocks/

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I saw them on the Turbo tour with Dokken. It was a great show, except the part where, during an encore, when Halford brings out his big Harley and some people with binoculars near us start freaking out (seems Rob 'whipped it out' during the guitar solos whilst sitting on the bike). I too thought Turbo had some good songs on it, but the album was way over-produced with programmed drums throughout. I've heard some of the tracks from other albums but never felt the urge to buy another JP album.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Turbo was the band's lowest point, imo... They got caught up in the 80s hair metal thing...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

A terrible band.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I too thought Turbo had some good songs on it, but the album was way over-produced with programmed drums throughout.
    Actually, it was Ram It Down(not Turbo) that featured programmed drums, due to Dave Holland having health problem during the recording of Ram It Down.

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    A terrible band.
    I wouldn't put 'em up there with Maiden or Sabbath but I think they kick ass. I only have 3 of their albums but I like what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I wouldn't put 'em up there with Maiden or Sabbath but I think they kick ass. I only have 3 of their albums but I like what I hear.
    Vic,
    I would highly recommend listening to Sad Wings Of Destiny by JP if you have not heard it yet. It is one of the best albums ever made in any genre. It is an absolute classic!

Sad Wings and Vengeance are classics IMO. Never did really get what the big deal over British Steel was. It's ok, I guess, but I dig the two others much more. Each album has high moments, though. Dissident Aggressor, Last Rose Of Summer, Under Blood Red Skies(God how Ram It Down sucks), Beyond The Realms Of Death, Rapid Fire... I have a cool tape of all the songs from albums I didn't like that much, makes for a good listen every now and then.

I liked Angel of Retribution but Nostradamus bit it hard. Not sure of the Ripper albums as I don't own them. The live album with Ripper isn't all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Well early Priest was rather interesting until they started with all that S&M leather and sruds that became so cliché for HM. for years..

But I kind of lost interest fairly quickly around the later 70's, and by British Steel, I found it almost laughable

Quote Originally Posted by Tim35 View Post
    Vic,
    I would highly recommend listening to Sad Wings Of Destiny by JP if you have not heard it yet. It is one of the best albums ever made in any genre. It is an absolute classic!
    Indeed... in HR/HM, the world belonged to Rainbow Rising, 2112 and Sad Wings... By 78, only Rush was interesting (outside VH's debut and FM & Mahogany Rush... but is the latter HR/HM??)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.