Page 1 of 88 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Everything Metal Thread

This is the place to post all your Metal musings, suggestions, reviews, and more! I'll start with my haul from HMV this week -

Sylosis - Monolith
    The Vision Bleak - The Wolves Go Hunt Their Prey
    A Hero A Fake - The Future Again
    Between The Buried and Me - The Parallaxx II: Future Sequence
    Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
    BigDumbFace - Duke Lion Fight's The Terror

\m/ \m/
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

You should have gone with, "That Meal Thread".

Actually no, that's lame.

Sabaton has become something of a guilty pleasure lately. Epic, over the top, pompous power metal. Pure fun.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Sabaton has become something of a guilty pleasure lately. Epic, over the top, pompous power metal. Pure fun.
    Don't say guilty pleasure. They are a great band & play great music. Check out Egonaut as well.

Current favs

Black Label Society
    Sabaton
    Black Sabbath
    Kamelot
    Powerwolf
    Egonaut
    Horisont
    Edguy
    Rival Sons
    Sodom

A new Enslaved album is always a good thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post

A new Enslaved album is always a good thing for me.
    RIITIR is powerful. I'm streaming it now in advance of purchasing. Enslaved are the most consistently progressing Metal band around these days.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    RIITIR is powerful. I'm streaming it now in advance of purchasing. Enslaved are the most consistently progressing Metal band around these days.
    I'll check out the entire album on Jizzify. I'm not sure I can get on board, but there are parts of that tune I dig. Is it me or do I hear a hint of Fripp/KC there, as well as the obvious connection to Opeth?

The clean vocals sound a bit contrived for my taste, and the way they just "fit" the words in there makes my stomach turn just a tiny bit, but no vomit. Nevertheless, a very solid powerful production and cool dark vibe happening. Maybe I'll dig some other tunes more?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'll check out the entire album on Jizzify. I'm not sure I can get on board, but there are parts of that tune I dig. Is it me or do I hear a hint of Fripp/KC there, as well as the obvious connection to Opeth?

The clean vocals sound a bit contrived for my taste, and the way they just "fit" the words in there makes my stomach turn just a tiny bit, but no vomit. Nevertheless, a very solid powerful production and cool dark vibe happening. Maybe I'll dig some other tunes more?
    I would agree with you on the clean vocals, though they are better than they used to be. Give it a few chances, I think it'll grow on you.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone into Europe's The Final Countdown?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I love that album. I got interested in Europe, because I heard they started as a prog band called Force.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    IF you The Final Countdown, you'll like these.

High of Fire are an EPIC band! And I am lucky enough to live in their Hometown!

New metal releases that are on my rotation lately are Enslaved, Between the Buried and Me, Grand Magus, Graveyard, Captain Crimson, Down, Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell, Gypsyhawk, Kamelot, Neurosis, Threshold, Ensiferum, Witchcraft, and The Sword, just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    New metal releases that are on my rotation lately are Enslaved, Between the Buried and Me, Grand Magus, Graveyard, Captain Crimson, Down, Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell, Gypsyhawk, Kamelot, Neurosis, Threshold, Ensiferum, Witchcraft, and The Sword, just to name a few.
    I haven't picked up the new Neurosis yet, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I haven't picked up the new Neurosis yet, what do you think?
    I like it. Not a huge fan, but I can get into most of their releases. Pretty heavy in spots, creepy & atmospheric in others. It's a usual, frightening Neurosis record, totally worth checking out if you like the band.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    I just picked up the BTBAM over the weekend but have yet to spin, of the rest of your list, on my list are the Enslaved, Grand Magus, Neurosis, and The Sword.

i suppose i should get a spot on this thread since i loves me metal.

new metal i've been jamming recently is actually old stuff i never got into much and that is blut aus nord. i obtained "the work which transforms god" and also "thematic emanation of achetypical multiplicity" and lastly "father of the icy ages". so imo these guys are very good if a little overrated. i compared them to "deathspell omega" and DSO are much better imo.

You should check out Blut Aus Nord's 777 – Sect(s), 777 – The Desanctification, and
    777 - Cosmosophy.
    I would agree that I prefer Deathspell Omega generally too, though.

I've been delving into this as of late:

Sub'd
    Regards,

Duncan

Loving the new Threshold, Maiden Utd and Katatonia. The new Kamelot is solid if uninspired. Haven't bought a lot this year - have been feeling rather jaded musically.

another band i've been re getting into is Sepultura. I have a friend who's big time into meatl but mostly gothic and dark stuff so he made me a dvd full of bands i was not familiar with so i've got lots of new things to discover. The Sepultura is killer, there is some soulfly and fields of the nephlim, tristania, a whole bunch of celtic frost was on here (8 full cd's) but i'm still jamming it and checking stuff out and making notes as to which ones i like and need to further look into.

Animals As Leaders: