Page 44 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2217

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I saw that! ^^^ I've enjoyed Iced Earth a bit in past years, and saw them live once.
    I almost went to see them, maybe 15-20 years ago. They were playing at a club in Lorain, Ohio iirc. (The old Spanky's, probably.) I think the advertising had even mentioned our beloved P word, but in the end I didn't attend.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    According to this article, Jon Shaffer, a guitarist for Iced Earth was a participant in the January 6 Insurrection, and may be rolling over.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/polit...oys/index.html

Fair ways in before the mention.
    Crap! He's half of Demons & Wizards with Hansi Kursch of Blind Guardian! I like some of that stuff, not all of it. I guess he was the "Demons" half. Fucker!

NP: Accept......Slaves To Metal.

What a title.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    NP: Accept......Slaves To Metal.

What a title.
    I once had to explain the procedure for installing and configuring disk drives in a PC to two Black interns. It was pretty awkward having to explain the whole Master/Slave thing to them using the terminology the industry had adopted, but I just had to grit my teeth and do it. It worked out ok, but jeez! I wonder if they've changed that.

Just heard: Testament....The Legacy (1987). Fast, furious thrash. Alex Skolnick is a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I once had to explain the procedure for installing and configuring disk drives in a PC to two Black interns. It was pretty awkward having to explain the whole Master/Slave thing to them using the terminology the industry had adopted, but I just had to grit my teeth and do it. It worked out ok, but jeez! I wonder if they've changed that.
    You should have tweaked the terminology to 'Master and Servant' and had the song by Depeche Mode playing in the background. That might have led someplace.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You should have tweaked the terminology to 'Master and Servant' and had the song by Depeche Mode playing in the background. That might have led someplace.

That was something that passed my mind as well.

If one is willing to stomach roughly 75 seconds of harsh metal singing across a full length album, then I highly recommend Kauan's new album "Ice Fleet" which might be one of the most beautiful, cinematic post metal albums I've heard in years.

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    If one is willing to stomach roughly 75 seconds of harsh metal singing across a full length album, then I highly recommend Kauan's new album "Ice Fleet" which might be one of the most beautiful, cinematic post metal albums I've heard in years.

I've been spinning Pain Of Salvation's 2 latest studio albums : In The Passing Light Of Day and Panther.

Excellent
    Regards,

Duncan

^^ I got off the Pain Train with "Be" and hearing samples from Scarsick...so they're a bit better ?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

^^ I got off the Pain Train with "Be" and hearing samples from Scarsick...so they're a bit better ?
    John, "Be" was very esoteric - but if you had Daniel describe the subtle details to you, it would suddenly be quite ... impressive, even if it isn't your cuppa tea. Their live show of that album recorded on DVD was brilliant.

But the recent releases, are not quite as "out there", and very good, IMO. Hit them up on YouTube.

BTW:

I "spun" this once, but was working, and I wasn't able to absorb it properly. Sounded good, though, lush, rich sound, and worth a more focused listen.

And I did not hear any harsh vocals

Looking forward to some quiet time for a re-spin.
    Regards,

Duncan

John, "Be" was very esoteric - but if you had Daniel describe the subtle details to you, it would suddenly be quite ... impressive, even if it isn't your cuppa tea. Their live show of that album recorded on DVD was brilliant.

But the recent releases, are not quite as "out there", and very good, IMO. Hit them up on YouTube.

[...]

I "spun" this once, but was working, and I wasn't able to absorb it properly. Sounded good, though, lush, rich sound, and worth a more focused listen.

And I did not hear any harsh vocals

Looking forward to some quiet time for a re-spin.
    Ha...funny how that works. For you and I or Eric, the harsh vox on Kauan are literally "blink and you'll miss it" territory...but for someone who can't stand that style I'll bet that's just about the only thing that'll stick with them

Full honesty, I had a very negative response to "Be" when it came out. It's entirely a personal thing, of course...but it was something where after four albums that I really loved, "Be" was like nails on a chalkboard level awful to my ears. I've tried a few times in the years since but it's not for me. I'll see about finding some samples of the newer albums, maybe it'll hit me differently

NP: Judas Priest.....Hot Rockin.'...

Ha...funny how that works. For you and I or Eric, the harsh vox on Kauan are literally "blink and you'll miss it" territory...but for someone who can't stand that style I'll bet that's just about the only thing that'll stick with them

Full honesty, I had a very negative response to "Be" when it came out. It's entirely a personal thing, of course...but it was something where after four albums that I really loved, "Be" was like nails on a chalkboard level awful to my ears. I've tried a few times in the years since but it's not for me. I'll see about finding some samples of the newer albums, maybe it'll hit me differently
    Batts and Dunc - I was the same with Be until I saw the wonderfully produced live version. The experience of watching the concert with a live "orchestra" connected me to the songwriting more than I had prior. Gildenlow is a master composer and conceptualist, the voicemails left for God are so vulnerable

https://youtu.be/mBaqZDrJmY4
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Batts and Dunc - I was the same with Be until I saw the wonderfully produced live version. The experience of watching the concert with a live "orchestra" connected me to the songwriting more than I had prior. Gildenlow is a master composer and conceptualist, the voicemails left for God are so vulnerable

Good to "see you" back here, Eric!
    Regards,

Duncan

Some opinionated smartass wrote the following about the DVD:

Be is so much more than just a very good, very ambitious record by a gifted group of musicians. I made my opinion of Pain Of Salvation's extremely ambitious new album Be very clear in my review, posted on these hallowed pages in September 2004 - so what could the DVD possibly offer that the CD didn't?

Well after staring at the TV screen mesmerized for an hour, and playing it again and again, I have to confess that I now have a better far appreciation of the music. In addition a friend from Turkey has been waxing lyrical about Pain of Salvation for several weeks, which caused me to revisit the band's back catalog. You educated me, Murat, and this DVD has me sold.

The DVD was recorded over two performances in a series of live shows played on a purpose-built stage at Lokomotivet, an industry hall in Eskilstuna, Sweden. And what a stage it is - clutter-free but for acoustic guitars fixed in stands, huge, tiered and shaped, with a big pool of water in an arrow-shaped pond. Elements of the nine piece "Orchestra of Eternity" were dispersed in various locations, and the band members were spread apart for a clean and dramatic look. I wish the videographers had recorded more footage of the whole stage, properly lit, to provide an appreciation of its scale. Interestingly, it's the same stage where the band played a performance of Jesus Christ Superstar. The filming shows more close-ups of the musicians hands in the keyboards and fretboards than usual, but more would have been better - even if they were imbedded as alternate viewing angles. The DVD includes a copy of the audio CD and a 50-page booklet, and sounds excellent on 5.1 audio. (Look for the Easter eggs on the video!)

Be was the culmination of years of study of religion, philosophy, existentialism, theology, teleology (the exploration of all natural processes being directed toward an end or shaped by a purpose) and ontology (a branch of metaphysics concerned with the nature and relations of being). Deep stuff indeed, and not a subject that lends itself naturally to music. So Pain Of Salvation's answer to that challenge was to introduce a huge variety of disparate elements to the music. Like the CD, the DVD starts with a philosophical vocal segment that sets the mood for the rest of the album. The live performance is close to the CD, though not exactly the same. The lyrics differ and some of the CD's skits are absent, but then, it was recorded before the studio release. It also has numerous vocal inserts that lend credence to the concept, but frankly get old after multiple viewings.

But Be is about the music - and what music it is! It ranges from a wonderful classically oriented piece in which the editors wisely focus on the pianist Frederik Hermannson's technique, to a folksy piece, to metal, to deep southern blues to huge soundscapes of orchestra-backed symphonic progressive rock. There's a big array of instruments, and in many parts it takes on the grandiose feel of a 1970s rock opera. Among the instruments is what looks like a mandola, but with a guitar's string and fret layout, apparently built by Daniel's grandfather. Rather than using a conductor, the shows were played over a click-track which also ran loops and kept the performers honest, with no possibility of re-takes.

There are constant costume changes and lighting color changes. There's a section in which band leader and key songwriter Daniel Gildenl?w kneels in the pool, dips his hair into the water, pulls on a wet jacket and makes a show of tying up his hair and donning a pair of sunglasses, and he starts singing the next ballad barefoot in the water. This is just one example of the showmanship on the video. The many symbolic actions like this look extremely pretentious on the surface, but don't write them off. There's clear purpose to these actions. I've watched the DVD several times, and still more viewings will be required to unearth the many facets of this video. It's that sort of a production, and Be is that sort of music.

Listen to the commentary track. It's the whole DVD played as normal, but with an overlay of Daniel and Frederik talking you through the production and the symbolism. Very enlightening.

Be is melodramatic and pretentious, and borders on brilliant - and the DVD works beautifully. By definition, being a live show, the DVD ought to be worse than the CD. Don't ask why, but I find that I far prefer the DVD. The CD seemed to lack cohesion but the clearer visual representation of the symbolism on the DVD pull the whole thing together. Be is so much more than just a very good, very ambitious record by a gifted group of musicians. It's flawed in parts, but on balance, it's a bloody masterpiece.
    Regards,

Duncan

Some opinionated smartass wrote the following about the DVD:
    A truly gifted writer with a keen awareness of high art.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Regards,

Duncan

Eric sighting on PE!!

Very cool about the video. I can't say I had a similar experience myself (after watching the video), but I've certainly gone through that with other bands/albums/concerts

Just getting into The Wildhearts. Lots of this could be considered metal, but with a twist I guess. Tim Smith manning the camera, production, direction, and it was his studio. They borrowed Cardiacs backline for this shooting.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Just getting into The Wildhearts. Lots of this could be considered metal, but with a twist I guess. Tim Smith manning the camera, production, direction, and it was his studio. They borrowed Cardiacs backline for this shooting.
    I tried with this band. They are talented guys, but the music did not really click with me.

Listening to this now. Sounds pretty cool, but very annoying that the only options for a physical release are LP, LP+RPG, or CD+RPG. The CD cannot be purchased by itself without the stupid role-playing game, which drives the price well beyond the "Thanks, but no thanks" level (about 50 bucks Canadian after shipping and exchange rate).

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    A truly gifted writer with a keen awareness of high art.
    Good to have you back!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    Listening to this now. Sounds pretty cool, but very annoying that the only options for a physical release are LP, LP+RPG, or CD+RPG. The CD cannot be purchased by itself without the stupid role-playing game, which drives the price well beyond the "Thanks, but no thanks" level (about 50 bucks Canadian after shipping and exchange rate).
    Ahhh...I've started my life transition from physical to digital and I hadn't even noticed the bundling detail. Too bad, it IS a really lovely album...but I imagine the bundle will prevent at least some others from hearing the album (such as yourself). Their loss!