Page 33 of 89 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks. I have 13 and love it. Will have to check out Cross Purposes, TYR and Headless Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Thanks. I have 13 and love it. Will have to check out Cross Purposes, TYR and Headless Cross.
    "TYR" is a loose concept album based around Nordic Mythology. It is a bit bombastic and over the top, but that is part of why I have always loved it. "Cross Purposes" is just a good solid Sabbath album IMO with Martin doing a nice job on vocals. "Headless Cross" is good too, but every song is about the devil / satan, which kind of gets old after a while, but it is still a pretty good and the title track is one of the best songs of the Martin era.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "TYR" is a loose concept album based around Nordic Mythology. It is a bit bombastic and over the top, but that is part of why I have always loved it. "Cross Purposes" is just a good solid Sabbath album IMO with Martin doing a nice job on vocals. "Headless Cross" is good too, but every song is about the devil / satan, which kind of gets old after a while, but it is still a pretty good and the title track is one of the best songs of the Martin era.
    Thanks for your input!

For those that care....last night's show:

Invertals: instrumental nerdy math rock/metal. Great playing, reminded me of Chimp Spanner in a lot of ways. A bit heavy on the backing tracks but not to the point of distraction. Great opener.

Between the Buried & Me: just fantastic. Tight as hell, power to spare, fun creative songs. At one point Thomas (singer) botched a line, started laughing and improvised a different lyric about Tommy f**king up the lyrics. All the more impressive given how complex the music was at that point. Another great night from a great live act.

Chon: Oh fun! Not quite as metal but tons of fun guitar-led math rock/fusion with touches of metal. Most impressive was how packed the Fillmore was (a big joint) with folks out to see an instrumental band rock out with some brains.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Why I prefer and recommend Cross Purposes is that it is indeed a good solid Sabbath album. Most likely Geezer's participation helped. Tyr has two great "Sabbathy" tracks for me. Anno Mundi and The Sabbath Stones. Headloss Cross has some great tracks, but, as you stated, some of the lyrics are pretty goofy. I also find Tyr and Headless Cross less "Sabbathy" overall and something about the sound/production doesn't click for me. Same with Eternal Idol. A few great tracks, but some duds, and the sound doesn't work for me. I guess I am in the minority in digging The Devil You Know. I liked that one from the first listen. I have recently revisited Dehumanizer big time, and consider it an even bigger achievement than I already did. The lyrics to Computer God are pretty timely.

OK, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Why I prefer and recommend Cross Purposes is that it is indeed a good solid Sabbath album. Most likely Geezer's participation helped. Tyr has two great "Sabbathy" tracks for me. Anno Mundi and The Sabbath Stones. Headloss Cross has some great tracks, but, as you stated, some of the lyrics are pretty goofy. I also find Tyr and Headless Cross less "Sabbathy" overall and something about the sound/production doesn't click for me. Same with Eternal Idol. A few great tracks, but some duds, and the sound doesn't work for me. I guess I am in the minority in digging The Devil You Know. I liked that one from the first listen. I have recently revisited Dehumanizer big time, and consider it an even bigger achievement than I already did. The lyrics to Computer God are pretty timely.

OK, Bye.
    I was disappointed with "Dehumanizer" when it first came out, but it has aged really well and today I really like it.

New Cattle Decapitation album is really good; one of my favorites released this year. This song has a spoken word intro by Jon Fishman from Phish....had no idea he was a fan.

Great tune!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^Forkin' Hell. I am surprised they're still alive! Brian sounds great. Yes, good tune.

This sends sinister shivers to every little corner of my nervous system...

On a, sorta Kiss binge. I hate Kiss as a general rule but they rock pretty hard on some albums like Hotter Than Hell, and Dressed To Kill.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post

New Cattle Decapitation album is really good; one of my favorites released this year. This song has a spoken word intro by Jon Fishman from Phish....had no idea he was a fan.
    I checked out this album a few weeks ago - it was a lot to take in but was very inventive. Definitely not going to grasp this in one go.

My fave of the year. Black/Doom/Psychedelic.

Black/Doom/Psychedelic?
    Yes, please!
    Checking it out now!

One I liked from the 'genre':

Oh man...when I saw Oranssi Pazuzu a few weeks ago, they played some bits from Waste of Space Orchestra and it was AWESOME.

The former has a new album coming in 2020, autobuy for me...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Listening to: Sabbath, Eternal Idol.

Love the Martin era of Black Sabbath.

Does: "The Everything Metal Thread" include Cars, Knives, Dishwashers, silverware, nuts, bolts, screws, cast iron running boards, fishing reels, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Listening to: Sabbath, Eternal Idol.

Love the Martin era of Black Sabbath.
    I always forget about "Eternal idol", but that one is pretty good too. I need to pull it out for a listen as it has been a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Does: "The Everything Metal Thread" include Cars, Knives, Dishwashers, silverware, nuts, bolts, screws, cast iron running boards, fishing reels, etc?
    Yes. And Boeings and Airbuses.

I always forget about "Eternal idol", but that one is pretty good too. I need to pull it out for a listen as it has been a long time.
    Yeah, that era of Sabbath gets marginalized, especially Tony Martin. To me Sabbath was as good if not better than Priest in the mid 80s. Tony Iommi is Black Sabbath.

Just heard: Saving My Soul.....Sabs. it's a bonus track from Reunion. Heavy, doomy, classic.

Yeah, that era of Sabbath gets marginalized, especially Tony Martin. To me Sabbath was as good if not better than Priest in the mid 80s.
    '80s Sabbath is FAR better than '80s Priest. In spite of no fewer than three vocalist changes (four if you count Glenn), Sabbath turned out album after superb album. And what Priest record stacks up against Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules?

I mean, I like me some Point of Entry and Screaming for Vengeance, but let's be real. Priest never had a "good" rhythm section till Travis started playing drums.

I agree the Martin era gets marginalized. I like all the albums he's on, even the oft-maligned Forbidden, which contains one of Sabbath's greatest numbers in "Kiss of Death."

Tony Iommi is Black Sabbath.
    Copy that.

Priest never had a "good" rhythm section till Travis started playing drums.
    I don't buy that completely. Travis is a thrasher. IMO, the wheels came off of JP in the 80s after Turbo, Ram It Down experiment. Maiden somehow made it (synth) work. Somewhere In Time, and especially Seventh Son are fine, fine Maiden albums.

Anyway, NP: Anthrax.....Spreading The Disease.

I don't buy that completely. Travis is a thrasher. IMO, the wheels came off of JP in the 80s after Turbo, Ram It Down experiment. Maiden somehow made it (synth) work. Somewhere In Time, and especially Seventh Son are fine, fine Maiden albums.

Anyway, NP: Anthrax.....Spreading The Disease.
    Holland and Hill were like boat anchors. 1-2-3-4. Thud. Thud. Boom. That's it. Practically AC/DC. I ought to give Les Binks more credit, though. He wasn't stiff like...you know, I see an opportunity for a joke I know somebody will make, so I'll leave the sentence, er, hanging.

Half of Turbo is alright. The songs are different, but "Out in the Cold" and "Locked In" are good. The album isn't worse than Triumph's Surveillance, which was such a disappointment after so many killer records.

Painkiller is the album you want to mention. That brought them back up to speed.

Where Maiden is concerned, you named the two albums I like best.