Page 60 of 89 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 2217

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Anyone here into the band The Ocean (also known as The Ocean Collective)? I have really been digging their stuff lately, but not sure if they have been mentioned here:

I have tickets to see them with Leprous opening late March. Fingers crossed it happens!!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I have tickets to see them with Leprous opening late March. Fingers crossed it happens!!
    Wow, that would be a great double bill!

Wilderun anybody? Brand new one already getting rave reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I didn't know there was a new one - will have to check it out.
    Regards,

Duncan

One of my favorite bands. Along with their classic stuff, make sure to check out the newer albums with Todd LaTorre on vocals. They put out some duds in the 90's and 00's, but there are even a few of those albums that are worth owning. For what it is worth I would rate their albums:

5-STAR:

OPERATION MINDCRIME
    EMPIRE
    PROMISED LAND

4-STAR:

QUEENSRYCHE (EP)
    THE WARNING
    RAGE FOR ORDER
    QUEENSRYCHE
    CONDITION HUMAN
    THE VERDICT

3 STAR:

AMERICAN SOLDIER
    OPERATION MINDCRIME II

2-STAR:

HEAR IN THE NOW FRONTIER
    Q2K
    TRIBE

1-STAR

DEDICATED TO CHAOS
    The Warning is also five stars! One of the strongest full-length debuts from any metal band out there. I'd give Promised Land no more than 3 (maybe 3.5). That one's not as consistent as it should be.

I'd bump Q2K and Tribe down to 1 star (I never listen to them), and DtC gets zero. Geoff dragged them down (sad to have to say it) and Todd helped restore them.

Let us not forget Catherdral.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Ditto
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Loved the last one - I'll be getting this
    Tu veux un camembert?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Loved the last one - I'll be getting this
    Yeah I've spun Veil of Imagination a few times this week. It really grows on you....an excellent late night headphone album. Talented cats.

Anyone here into the band The Ocean (also known as The Ocean Collective)? I have really been digging their stuff lately, but not sure if they have been mentioned here:
    Excellent band and one of the few (relatively) modern metal bands I'm closely following.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    The Warning is also five stars! One of the strongest full-length debuts from any metal band out there. I'd give Promised Land no more than 3 (maybe 3.5). That one's not as consistent as it should be.

I'd bump Q2K and Tribe down to 1 star (I never listen to them), and DtC gets zero. Geoff dragged them down (sad to have to say it) and Todd helped restore them.
    My personal ranking:

4.5 stars "Rage..."
    4 stars "Warning"
    3.5 stars "Operation" & "s/t EP"

Everything else, rather forgettable.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Queensr˙che is one of those bands I've just never been able to get into, though I've tried. I've listened numerous times to the 'big' albums and while it's not bad music by any stretch, it just kind of goes by without grabbing me at any point. It's strange how that happens, because I know so many people love them. Fates Warning is another one. Oh well, that's just how it goes.

This completely unnecessary post has been brought to you by three cups of very strong coffee.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post

I almost put The Warning into the 5-Star category. Probably should have as it is an excellent album. I seem to like Promised Land more than the average QR fan. I still really dig it and think it is generally under rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Queensr˙che is one of those bands I've just never been able to get into, though I've tried. I've listened numerous times to the 'big' albums and while it's not bad music by any stretch, it just kind of goes by without grabbing me at any point. It's strange how that happens, because I know so many people love them. Fates Warning is another one. Oh well, that's just how it goes.

This completely unnecessary post has been brought to you by three cups of very strong coffee.
    It is always interesting why certain music hits you and other music does not. I loved Queensryche from the first time I heard "Queen Of The Reich" back in the day, but they are not for everyone. For Fates Warning I love their later albums, but never warmed to the early stuff very much. For a lot of Fates fans, their opinion is the opposite.

It is always interesting why certain music hits you and other music does not.
    Indeed, and of course I am usually on the other side of the coin, wondering why my favourite bands are not beloved by the entire planet.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

With you on both. but different type of coffee.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

On the "Second half of Rush" thread there's some little princesses coming in bitching about Geddy's vocals. It takes all kinds. Getting prog/metal fans to agree on something is like herding cats.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    On the "Second half of Rush" thread there's some little princesses coming in bitching about Geddy's vocals. It takes all kinds. Getting prog/metal fans to agree on something is like herding cats.
    I kinda liked it when he'd howl like a banshee. Then again Caress of Steel is my preferred Rush album.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What people need to ask themselves is would they have liked Rush better if Geddy had sounded like David Lee Roth or someone?

Indeed, and of course I am usually on the other side of the coin, wondering why my favourite bands are not beloved by the entire planet.
    I almost want people to loath the music I like. Makes it easier to not hang out with them.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm the same way and the only theory I have is my lack of appreciation for Thrash. To me, both bands are a bit Thrash-y and that turns me off. Same with Voivod.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

If you heard only No Exit and Perfect Symmetry by Fates Warning, I understand why you may think there are shades of thrash. But those are also two of their best albums. Maybe another go?

Gedd's vocals were always make-or-break for many. I like his voice throughout his career. Sometimes he sounded rough live, and they had to bring songs like "2112" down a step back in the '90s, but that was bound to happen.

As one of the "little princesses" who "bitched" about Geddy's voice in the other thread , I just feel his vocals sounded forced on the old albums, like he was trying too hard to sound energetic, powerful or aggressive. My loss. I actually love Geddy's singing when he doesn't howl.
    That being said, singing hard rock or metal is a difficult art. Sounding powerful or aggressive with any credibility, with the right attitude, is not easy and one is always going to sound ridiculous or unbearably cheesy in someone's ears. I may cringe at some of Geddy's vocals, but I like Rob Halford's most over the top vocals, so what do I know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I actually love Geddy's singing when he doesn't howl.
    I do think Geddy did his best singing on all of the '80s albums.