Thread: 50+ Years of Downbeat Gone

50+ Years of Downbeat Gone

Oh, jeez. I finally did it. I pitched my entire collection of Downbeat magazine, which goes all the way back to 1970. I had carried these issues with me from home to home, and finally realized, now that I am 71, that I was likely not going to ever look at them again. So I went through every issue and kept only those that featured my favorite musicians- Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, Miles, and so on. They filled 2 full large garbage cans and weighed tons and I think I need an emotional support dog now. (I also pitched 40+ years of Playboy. I do not envy the garbage men coming later today). Culling is hard, folks!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

That's good. Reading less Downbeat back issues will open up more time to post about Jinjer on PE.

Yeah, I'm a hoarder too to a certain degree. They have recycle places in many towns for stuff like that too, just saying.
    Last edited by hippypants; 6 Days Ago at 07:55 PM.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    That's good. Reading less Downbeat back issues will open up more time to post about Jinjer on PE.
    [emoji38]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Hey, it used to be Magma. Which I still love though they have been awful quiet of late. Jinjer is a recent find so I am in the "new convert" stage of life, quite evangelical. We all have our passions. Meantime, I hadn't read any issue in years so your initial thought isn't true anyway.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

You could have made a lot of money, imo, by selling them on ebay but I can understand not wanting the hassle.

I remember finding out that my nephew had a friend who was into prog. I wound up having my brother give him all of my old Progression magazines. That guy who was maybe 15 or 16 at the time probably found out about a lot of bands he otherwise would not have known about. I also gave him (indirectly) all my old prog posters. I personally would rather sell or donate stuff than just throw them away (only throw away as a last resort if all else fails). I'm still a hoarder since I still have all my old playboys and PROG magazines so if I can't sell them which is definitely a possibility I might wind up throwing them away eventually too. I certainly wouldn't donate PB or PROG. Lol.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    . I do not envy the garbage men coming later today)
    Especially if they discover the Downbeats are the ones with stains.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Especially if they discover the Downbeats are the ones with stains.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I also pitched 40+ years of Playboy.
    Oh no! All those articles!