Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I remember when Stryper eschewed the Christian angle for one album, changed to black and silver stripes and tried to grow out their facial hair to look tough. They did a Bee Gees cover to prove their toughness.
    That's the album Vic's jammin' to! Except it's Earth, Wind & Fire, not Bee Gees.

Riiiiiight! It was Shining Star, yeah?

That was actually a pretty good cover of Shining Star.

Because not all of us think 'Cookie Monster' vocals suck or listen to Stryper...

https://zhrine.bandcamp.com/album/unortheta

That artwork is gorgeous
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    That artwork is gorgeous
    I can only agree with that.

Mostly I don't really like grunts (or cookie monster vocals), but I like them with Dimmu Borgir.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't listen to that much "classic" style metal, but have you guys heard this? This makes me think I should listen to more. This is from 2016, but sounds pretty classic to me. I just downloaded the album from Bandcamp:

I'd love some suggestions for classic metal albums. I like things like this, have and like Dio's Holy Diver, but definitely not into AC/DC, which to my ears just sounds boring. It needs to have some good solos, and something somehow interesting to it. I know that's very hard to define, but the albums mentioned above have interesting hooks, solos, and vocals. AC/DC (not to rag on them bust just as an example of something I'm not into), there's nothing really unique or interesting about them - not the vocals, not the hooks, not the solos.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Because not all of us think 'Cookie Monster' vocals suck or listen to Stryper...

https://zhrine.bandcamp.com/album/unortheta

This is good! I have no problem with cookie monster vocals.

Cross-pollinating a bit here, but some of the best/most "prog rock" sounding stuff I've heard in a while is on the two recent Between the Buried & Me albums, Automata I and II. It's really great, adventurous stuff that has just about everything a prog fan would want, assuming they aren't bothered by a harsher vocal style mixed in.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I know I mention this album already but I'm playing it again on Youtube. I don't own the album but it is the best Accept album to me......Restless And WILD!. It's better than BTTW. It blows it away (or maybe I'm burned out on BTTW) but damn it's tight, punchy, fist-pumping, snotty, early 80s Metal. I can't stop playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Cross-pollinating a bit here, but some of the best/most "prog rock" sounding stuff I've heard in a while is on the two recent Between the Buried & Me albums, Automata I and II. It's really great, adventurous stuff that has just about everything a prog fan would want, assuming they aren't bothered by a harsher vocal style mixed in.
    My BTBAM collection is short a few albums - I guess I need to get these.
    Regards,

Duncan

Anyone here ever heard of a band called Brocas Helm? They came up on one of those Youtube mixes. I looked them up on Wikipedia. They're from San Francisco, founded in 1982. They're not thrash but more like power metal, fast and furious. Kinda NWOBHM-ish. Listening to their first album......Into Battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Anyone here ever heard of a band called Brocas Helm? They came up on one of those Youtube mixes. I looked them up on Wikipedia. They're from San Francisco, founded in 1982. They're not thrash but more like power metal, fast and furious. Kinda NWOBHM-ish. Listening to their first album......Into Battle.
    No, but the way you describe them sounds reminiscent of Cirith Ungol, who are awesome.

Amazing. Some obscure group I've never heard shows up on some random, metal mix on Youtube and now I wanna all their albums.

Seeing Deafheaven tonight. Only got their new one yesterday, but after about three full listens there's no chance this WON'T be on my 2018 Best-Of list

NP: Predator......Accept.

Amazing. Some obscure group I've never heard shows up on some random, metal mix on Youtube and now I wanna all their albums.
    "Skullfucker"

Yeah!

I wanna all their albums....

I wanna hear ' em, not all 'em.

^ What?

NP: Metal On Metal........Anvil

It's even more knuckleheaded than Motley Crue......

I was thinking I should find some new metal bands with clean vox but then I just decided to play the latest Iron Maiden album.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I had their demo back in the days, and have listened to the debut, but lost track afterwards. An excellent power metal band, and yes, quite close to the mighty Cirith Ungol (which is the best band in the universe).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'd love some suggestions for classic metal albums. I like things like this, have and like Dio's Holy Diver, but definitely not into AC/DC, which to my ears just sounds boring. It needs to have some good solos, and something somehow interesting to it. I know that's very hard to define, but the albums mentioned above have interesting hooks, solos, and vocals. AC/DC (not to rag on them bust just as an example of something I'm not into), there's nothing really unique or interesting about them - not the vocals, not the hooks, not the solos.
    Ignoring the blasphemy at the end I would suggest this band/album:

One of the first metal bands to use viking themes in their music. Their singer reminded me of the singer of the band you posted.

^ I just heard The title track from the first album. Full Speed ...... from 1978. I love finding obscure, 70s metal. Good track, but terrible lead vocal. I'll listen to the whole album later.