Page 6 of 88 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've only heard the first 2-3 tracks so far. The guitars sound like Megadeth or Accept. There is a bit of the classic sound. I'll post more thoughts about it later.
    Yeah, I guess I should have said the classic Screaming For Vengeance - Painkiller era.

I'm halfway through the disk. It does sound like the recent version of Accept. Well, Andy Sneap produces Accept so it doesn't surprise me. But yeah there are some bits that have a classic Priest vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Yeah ... the classic Screaming For Vengeance - Painkiller era.
    Agree!
    And by now, I'm on the second spin: good album!.

The sad note for me and I didn't know about it:

GLENN TIPTON/JUDAS PRIEST DIAGNOSED WITH PARKINSONS:
    "Right now Glenn is able to play and perform some of the Priest songs that are less challenging but due to the nature of Parkinson's progression he wants to let you all know that he won't be touring as such - "

More:
    http://judaspriest.com/news/fullstor...D-3CA946FC96D0
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I've listened to Firepower a couple times now. It's a good metal album. But, gotta be honest, it sounds generic. Andy Sneap's fingerprints are all over it. Rob sings pretty good on it.

I've listened to Firepower a couple times now. It's a good metal album. But, gotta be honest, it sounds generic. Andy Sneap's fingerprints are all over it. Rob sings pretty good on it.
    I feel pretty much the same. I was hoping with Tom Allom back as co-producer, Priest might go back to a more melodic style similar to the early 80s albums. But there are no real surprises here; they still seem enamored with the Painkiller direction they've largely stuck to since Rob Halford rejoined....Nostradamus excepted of course.

Oh and yeah, considering he's like 68 years old, Halford still sounds fantastic.

Favorite track so far is Spectre.

It almost gives the impression that one could produce this kind of music with that kind of sound and call it Accept, Saxon or Priest depending on which singer's voice is added. That being said, they obviously put some effort into this (final ?) album and Halford's performance is indeed stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    It almost gives the impression that one could produce this kind of music with that kind of sound and call it Accept, Saxon or Priest depending on which singer's voice is added. That being said, they obviously put some effort into this (final ?) album and Halford's performance is indeed stunning.
    You nailed it. But yeah, Rob Halford is one hell of a singer. I haven't stopped playing the CD since I got it on Friday.

Favorite track today is Flame Thrower...... Wooofff!

I like it, so far.

Listening to the new 'Priest right now.

Very good.

I'm so over that style of metal but I'll definitely spin it while in the gym.
    Regards,

Duncan

evil black/death:

\m/
    haiduk

So people can buy it if they want too...

https://haiduk.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Listening to the new 'Priest right now.

Very good.

I'm so over that style of metal
    The thrash/death/black/grind metal years had got me off that specific metal style for good. However, Firepower is a great album, their best since Painkiller i.m.o. Especially if ones thinks their age. The fact that it's generic does not overshadow it's qualities; the whole specific style is overplayed till death, anyway... And do not forget that Priest are the ones to kick off that style after Killing Machine and British Steel...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Interesting reading all your comments on Priest's Firepower album.

It's a winner for me, managing to combine a modern sound with the band's old-school meat-and-two-veg approach to writing unashamed heavy metal songs.

I've thrown in a few more thoughts on my latest blog post:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....irepower-2018/

Shame they're only playing a couple of cuts from it on the tour.

I've listened to some clips of Firepower and it does sound really good. I haven't bought a new Priest album since the disappointing (to me anyway) Angel of Retribution. I do hear Painkiller influence there but that is a good thing to my ears. Not quite as wild as that one though.

Sorry to hear about Glenn's problems with Parkinson's. I read that K.K. was willing to rejoin but wasn't even asked.

Polish Government Is Taking BEHEMOTH's Nergal To Court Over T-Shirt Design

http://www.metalinjection.net/metal-...irt-design/amp

Just played Defenders Of The Faith, the whole album on YouTube. I'm all over it. It's pure, knuckleheaded British metal. It's my next purchase.

I simply cannot stop playing.....

FAAAAIIIIIYYYYYAAAAA POWWWWWWA!AAAAAAA.....\M/

I simply cannot stop playing.....

FAAAAIIIIIYYYYYAAAAA POWWWWWWA!AAAAAAA.....
    FIFY
    Regards,

Duncan

FWIW...

Saw Between the Buried + Me, Deer Hunter and Leprous @ the Fillmore in Silver Spring last night. My 3rd time seeing Leprous, 2nd (or 3rd) for BTBAM, and first for DH. Leprous were amazing as always, and quite possibly the best I've ever heard a band sound @ the Fillmore in terms of mix clarity, punch, etc.. Deer Hunter...the crowd liked them. I wasn't really a fan but they did what they did very well. BTBAM were really excellent, probably the strongest I've ever seen them.

If they are passing through your neck o' the woods, might be worth a few coins to go see a great night of mostly heavy-ish music
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    FWIW...

Saw Between the Buried + Me, Deer Hunter and Leprous @ the Fillmore in Silver Spring last night...
    I HATE YOU

LOL

I'd hoped to see it, but my wife had (minor) surgery this week, so I couldn't get out.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I HATE YOU
    Take a number and have a seat right over there, sir

Hope your wife's minor thing went well!

The show was great. The most remarkable thing for me was how amazing Leprous sounded. Not so much performance-wise; this is my 3rd time seeing them and they are spectacularly talented. Rather, I've seen many great bands sound absolutely terrible at the Fillmore (Tesseract, Thank You Scientist, Caspian), so it was kind of impressive to have such a punchy, clear mix. Even BTBAM wasn't as clean (the vocalist was a tad buried).

Hopefully next time, Duncan! Great acts all around
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

And actually...I hadn't been following BTBAM as much lately but bought their new one (Autonoma 1 I think?), and it is really great. Had it playing nonstop all morning in the car.

Leprous didn't make it to this area, unfortunately. I'd love to see them.