Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Ooooo, Aquilus! I'm triggered

Years ago, I paid serious coin to get 2 Aquilus CDs as a gift for a friend of mine. Took forever to arrive too. Now they're on Bandcamp, easy peazy

Great band, I should revisit them soon...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    PS....in general I've been riding a metal binge for the past 5 - 6 weeks, all over the map, trying lots of new stuff, and going back to the classics too. Really super fun, it's so nice to leave the prog scene for a bit and enter a totally new musical universe full of incredible music. Opeth is a huge part still of course, but just part of this ride
    O M G !!! That is such a fun ride as Metal is one of the deepest genres going today. So much to explore, so many pioneers, so much experimentation as well as so much good ole rock n' roll. I've shared this link before and if you can put aside the fact that the data comes from Spotify, Every Noise at Once is a true wonder to explore genres.

https://everynoise.com/
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Cool! I'm checking it out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    O M G !!! That is such a fun ride as Metal is one of the deepest genres going today. So much to explore, so many pioneers, so much experimentation as well as so much good ole rock n' roll. I've shared this link before and if you can put aside the fact that the data comes from Spotify, Every Noise at Once is a true wonder to explore genres.

https://everynoise.com/
    Oh yeah, that's an extremely cool little tool
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I've got tickets to see Wolves in the Throne Room next month, their last album (atmospheric black metal) was pretty good so I'm hoping for a strong show. As much as I enjoy their albums, their live sets are touch and go. Deafheaven ticket bought too, although they're more of a sure thing in my book. Looks like Cult of Luna is going to be back in 2023. Planning to go to the Maryland Death Fest in May. And if Ulver doesn't pull a dick move and drop out yet again, I might just catch up with Just Eric in Vegas for Psychofest next August
    WITTR is coming here (Berkeley) as well and with Uada and Full of Hell - two must see bands for me.

Psycho 2022 is still up in the air (no job and hard to justify), but Ulver, Katatonia, and King Woman are draws. They usual get fantastic supporting acts so I am waiting to see how the line-up fills out.

Full of Hell is EXCELLENT live

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Atmospheric Symphonic Black Metal? I don't know what to call it, but I like it...

Whatever genre you assign to it - it's very good!!
    Regards,

Duncan

Full of Hell is EXCELLENT live
    Oh man I'm jellie

Oh man I'm jellie
    You won't be for too much longer

Atmospheric Symphonic Black Metal? I don't know what to call it, but I like
    Will spin this on the commute....cheers.

Another great channel for black metal is this one:

https://youtube.com/c/bmpromotion

Atmospheric Symphonic Black Metal? I don't know what to call it, but I like it...
    Will spin this on the commute....cheers.
    I'll be interested to hear your feedback. I liked it a lot, but it was playing in the background while I was working, so I still owe it a closer listen.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I'll be interested to hear your feedback. I liked it a lot, but it was playing in the background while I was working, so I still owe it a closer listen.
    I really enjoyed this. Listening to this album in the morning driving eastbound with the sun blazing in my face is not the best environment for an album such as this though. There is a serious amount of symphonic moments and beautiful piano passages, always a bit dark too. There were some crushing riffs, great BM vocals, clean vocals, ambience, etc. One of the best aspects after one spin was the chord progressions - some very well-composed stuff that was quite interesting, moreso than usual traditional black metal. I need another spin in headphones in the dark but I will be doing this one again, plus the 2011 Griseus. I shall report back....
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I really enjoyed this. Listening to this album in the morning driving eastbound with the sun blazing in my face is not the best environment for an album such as this though. There is a serious amount of symphonic moments and beautiful piano passages, always a bit dark too. There were some crushing riffs, great BM vocals, clean vocals, ambience, etc. One of the best aspects after one spin was the chord progressions - some very well-composed stuff that was quite interesting, moreso than usual traditional black metal. I need another spin in headphones in the dark but I will be doing this one again, plus the 2011 Griseus. I shall report back....

I haven't had a chance to give it a concentrated listen yet, but will do so ASAP.
    Regards,

Duncan

OK - So I had another (proper) spin of Bellum with 'phones. This is essentially a prog album with a core of black/death metal - or- vice-versa. There is a ton of moments that just scream prog for me in the arrangements, form, texture, grooves, etc. There are a TON of dynamic contrasts on this record, so a dedicated spin either on headphones or a quiet environment is really required to catch it all. I am also getting a huge cinematic vibe at many points - some of this could absolutely work as soundtrack music to my ears. Again, the chord progressions are extremely well thought-out...this cat is no novice and knows exactly what he's doing here. I am going to assume that the drums are programmed, but its done so well that aside from the sonic qualities of the samples (which are great), it serves the music perfectly. Opeth fans will really dig the acoustic guitar interludes - they are wonderful and serve as great contrasts to the heavier sections. This album was actually mastered by Jens Bogren, a great Swedish engineer (Ghost Reveries, Watershed, many other metal albums)! A nitpick for me would be some of the synth patches - it's not a deal-breaker by any means but some sound like pretty generic preset patches, not dissimilar to what some neoprog bands would use

I am going to dive into Griseus tonight - cheers for the heads-up on this "band"/album . I really enjoyed this - a great progressive symphonic black/death metal album with that slightly creepy dark black metal-ish vibe.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 12-08-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Hmmmm...speaking of random blasts from the past, decided to break this out for the first time in a while. Avant garde black metal from Wobbler's keyboard player (yes really!), very impressive stuff.

^ Will definitely check out...cheers

Hmmmm...speaking of random blasts from the past, decided to break this out for the first time in a while. Avant garde black metal from Wobbler's keyboard player (yes really!), very impressive stuff.

LOL. I thought this was Lingua Ignota! Oops. btw she will be at Roadburn this year, I will not,

a different sort of extreme for sure

I saw Lingua Ignota with The Body and Big|Brave in the backroom of the Black Cat a few years ago. She was stunning and fearless... only comparison would be an early Diamanda Galas. Big|Brave was amazing too.

a different sort of extreme for sure

I saw Lingua Ignota with The Body and Big|Brave in the backroom of the Black Cat a few years ago. She was stunning and fearless... only comparison would be an early Diamanda Galas. Big|Brave was amazing too.
    Big | Brave has caught my eye.

I checked out about the first half of the newest Cannibal Corpse (Violence Unimagined) last night in 'phones. This could be discussed under the avant-prog thread imo - it definitely shares some of those qualities. I wish the bass was mixed a tad hotter because its pretty insane if you follow what Alex Webster is playing - actually completely insane! Highly complex riffs full of virtuosic playing. You can even make out what George Corpsegrinder is singing about......well sometimes. Anybody listen to this yet? Eric?

I checked out about the first half of the newest Cannibal Corpse (Violence Unimagined) last night in 'phones. This could be discussed under the avant-prog thread imo - it definitely shares some of those qualities. I wish the bass was mixed a tad hotter because its pretty insane if you follow what Alex Webster is playing - actually completely insane! Highly complex riffs full of virtuosic playing. You can even make out what George Corpsegrinder is singing about......well sometimes. Anybody listen to this yet? Eric?
    I'll try to find this & spin it tonight
    Regards,

Duncan

Not yet. It's on the list, the long list. The reason that list is so long is that we are living in a Metal renaissance. So much good music being produced for a growing fanbase that welcomes experimentation. Ah to be alive right now.

(hopefully I don't drop dead directly after posting this.)

First spin through tonight and I agree with your comment about the bass. Drums are wicked and riffs are insane, solid Death/Grind imho, but I might not be all in on the avant-prog. Highlights for me the back and forth, Drums/Bass, section of Overtorture and the awesome tempo change in Inhumane Harvest. Further highlight, the album art is sick as usual.

I dig this guy's channel. Intelligent and thoughtful reviews, plus he hits some real underground stuff.

First spin through tonight and I agree with your comment about the bass. Drums are wicked and riffs are insane, solid Death/Grind imho, but I might not be all in on the avant-prog. Highlights for me the back and forth, Drums/Bass, section of Overtorture and the awesome tempo change in Inhumane Harvest. Further highlight, the album art is sick as usual.
    Glad you dig. Those are insane moments indeed! This band has so much shit its a bit overwhelming but I am never disappointed - always a wild ride.