Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs You're Sick Of

Songs You're Sick Of

Songs in pubs that you can go the rest of your life without hearing. I'll start:

Sweet Caroline (Mr. Diamond). It's become a tired, irritating cliche.
    E-A-T

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Just about everything on "classic rock" radio. Just for yuks, I'll tune in to the local station and then report what's playing:

"Last Child", Aerosmith. Well, that's less of a song that I'm sick of than I'd anticipated. I guess I didn't notice the "in pubs" qualifier, though.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 12-30-2023 at 04:40 PM.

"You Give Love a Bad Name" by Bon Jovi.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Don't Stop Believing

Every once in a while I'll check out the playlist on the website for the local classic rock station. Recently they did a top 500 countdown but the thing is it's just the same songs they always play but in a different order with maybe one exception and that is that it contained two Yes songs. Recently they seem to only play OOALH but this list had roundabout and starship trooper on it so I guess they fans sometimes want to hear what the station won't play (well at least with starship trooper which I never hear anymore).

But to properly answer the question (as best I can) I'll say pretty much any classic rock song you hear on the radio especially those from the late 60s to the late 90s.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 12-30-2023 at 05:27 PM.

Free Bird. Zzzzzzzz......

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Free Bird. Zzzzzzzz......
    You nailed it for me. That’s the song that I immediately thought of. I actually ever really like it to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For me it's some of the songs I'll often hear at the supermarket. I can't even remember the names or the words, but there are a couple with young guys singing about how strong their feelings are, with a lot of autotune and stuff. It's like the guy is trying to convince a potential girlfriend that he has feelings.

In general, the classic rock songs that I like have held up pretty well for me.

There are quite a few overplayed pop anthems from the 60-90's. My amount of exposure to pop music diminishes but some is inescapable.
    But a lot of it is context. If it hits right, it's ok. Part of the compromise of marriage was to partake in pop concerts. I saw lots of bands that I really would skip on radio.
    Had fun, maybe a little cringe ( maybe a lot for some of these acts ).
    But in the regular mundane everyday and I happen to be in control of the playlist, skip, skip skip.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Songs in pubs that you can go the rest of your life without hearing. I'll start:

Sweet Caroline (Mr. Diamond). It's become a tired, irritating cliche.
    My neighbor and I went to see an acoustic duo Friday night and they played that song. About 9:15 a guy dropped to the floor like a sack of potatoes. A couple people were working on him until the EMT's got there and took him away. At first my neighbor though he was just drunk but he could of had a pressure drop or been a diabetic.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Songs that I'm sick of? About 90% of the Beatles catalogue, Hotel California, Thick as a Brick, The Musical Box etc.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Supper's Ready - I've never overplayed a song as much as this one. I get very little enjoyment today. I will make an exception - The Music Box does a nice version.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-31-2023 at 01:33 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Stairway to Heaving
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Chicken Fry. Cold beer on a Friday night. Pair o' jeans that fit just right.....

Basically any song where the patrons are all singing the chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    You nailed it for me. That’s the song that I immediately thought of. I actually ever really like it to begin with.
    I like it, but it does not need to be ten minutes long. I'm becoming more impatient with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Stairway to Heaving
    Heaving....

There might be another Zeppelin song that I can go the rest of my life without ever hearing besides Stairway. Otherwise, pretty much any other Zeppelin track is great to hear in a pub.

Oh man, when I was about 13 Led Zeppelin were my favorite band and I was really into them from the ages of 13-15 or so right before I got heavily into Yes and all the other big name prog bands I started to discover. Over time though, and mostly due to their overexposure, I got tired of LZ to the point where I can barely listen to them anymore (maybe on very rare occasions and only in the context of albums and not on the radio). It's pretty much the same with PF for me also.

Playing in a PF tribute band 30 yrs ago, I got really sick of Money and Comfortably Numb. Can't really take either anymore.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

That reminds me. I can go many years without hearing overplayed PF. Money, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

"Last Child", Aerosmith.
    I thought that was a deep cut. Favorite track from ROCKS.

It was the first single off the album and got pretty high on the billboard charts as I recall.

I'll try the same Classic Rock radio experiment again and see if I get a better example of the thread title:
    Smoke on the Water

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'll
    Smoke on the Water
    It's one of those overplayed songs in pubs like Black Dog that I never get sick of.

Just thought of the other Zeppelin track I can go years without hearing ......Kashmir.

And the trifecta would be........Paranoid (Sabbath). I'm sick of it.

The one song that I just can't stand is Brown-Eyed Girl.

YES! Brown Eyed Girl is one of my absolutely most hated songs of all time!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"