Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Maybe I'm late to the party, and the right folks in here already know this band but they were a total new discovery on me in the last couple of weeks and are quickly rising to my metal faves: Rolo Tomassi.

Hard to pick a favorite, IMHO they're an album band rather than a "single representative song" band. Also worth noting, they only have one vocalist who is doing both styles, and she is pretty damned great.

Very interesting, thanks for the recommendation, John! I just listened to their latest album on YT. Definitely worth buying!
    Regards,

Duncan

The Most Metal Church in the World

OMFG that was off the charts hilarious. The most Metal Reggae Church.......

The ending with the protestors, etc. is amazing.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for the recommendation, John! I just listened to their latest album on YT. Definitely worth buying!
    You bet! I love Flood of Light but I think their latest album is my favorite

Gene Hoglan playing a Death track "The Philosopher" in the studio. SOOOO killer. I love how he has a ride right next to his hi-hat....great idea to combine those while grooving....usually it's one or the other.

Brand new Metallica track, taken from the new album 72 Seasons (out next spring).

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Brand new Metallica track, taken from the new album 72 Seasons (out next spring).

I dig it!

I like the hook in the melody way better than the riff
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It's working for me quite a bit. Even the cover of the new album which was WTF?! on first glance now looks really cool. I'm getting a good feeling about this one (I liked the last couple, but then they could only go up from where they were at with Lulu).

How crazy is it that come next year, St. Anger will be the half-way point of their recording career?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

I haven't been much of a fan of anything Metallica since And Justice..., but I gotta say I kinda dig this! Getting a Motorhead-ish vibe. We'll see about the rest of the album though...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I haven't been much of a fan of anything Metallica since And Justice..., but I gotta say I kinda dig this! Getting a Motorhead-ish vibe. We'll see about the rest of the album though...
    I exited on Justice, but this is really good. Motorhead+Priest.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

For those who jumped off the ship a long time ago, I really dig "Death Magnetic" from 2008 and would recommend it. For me it was a good return to form.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Motorhead+Priest.
    + Diamond Head.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For those who jumped off the ship a long time ago, I really dig "Death Magnetic" from 2008 and would recommend it. For me it was a good return to form.
    Agreed. Some killer tracks on that one, and on Hardwired To Self Destruct too. They are both on the long-ish side, but the best tracks from both make a great playlist.

I couldn't listen to the ear-bleeding mix on Death Magnetic, it was just loud and shrill. It was like "let's take the worst aspects of Justice, compress the hell out of it, and crank the volume".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    + Diamond Head.

Agreed. Some killer tracks on that one, and on Hardwired To Self Destruct too. They are both on the long-ish side, but the best tracks from both make a great playlist.
    Agree, both albums were too long and could have been paired down a bit, but as you say, the best tracks are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I couldn't listen to the ear-bleeding mix on Death Magnetic, it was just loud and shrill. It was like "let's take the worst aspects of Justice, compress the hell out of it, and crank the volume".
    Good point, the mix on that album left a lot to be desired, but I still think the material is really good for the most part.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This 100% - unlistenable for me (death magnetic that is....)
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I like this! Sabotage Sabbath with some 80's metal touches. Gonna keep my eye on these dudes...

Whatever you do - get hold of the EP by Kirk Hammett called Portals.

NOTHING like Metallica's typical music, and (IMO) a candidate for the best album (well ... EP) of the year.

All instrumental, and very proggy.
    Regards,

Duncan

^^^

Regards,

Duncan

Oh I have that, Duncan and I love it. Definitely a favorite of the year

^^^
    Regards,

Duncan

Oh I have that, Duncan and I love it. Definitely a favorite of the year
    Yes, that was great. Looks like the production on the new Metallica album is decent (and modern of course), so that could only be a good thing. Hopefully the tunes are inspired and groovy. I listened to the 1st three last week...Kill Em All is pretty killer! But early Slayer is as good or maybe even stronger to my ears.

For those (MANY) in this thread who prefer what I'd call "classic metal", I've just spent a few great hours with 2 old favorites:
    Royal Hunt : Paradox
    Royal Hunt : Clown In The Mirror

Paradox, in particular, is a long-time fave. I hadn't spun it for a few years and was glad I gave it another listen.
    Regards,

Duncan