Page 9 of 88 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Evenin'!

I posted this in the 'Stoner!' thread, but it belongs in here too. I think you guys will dig it -- massive, massive riffs...and one of the best things to come of out in 2018 so far. Come in and listen!

http://www.realgonerocks.com/2018/06...t-knell-of-om/

NP: Megadeth........United Abominations.

NP: Motorhead........Another Perfect Day.

Curious to hear how Robbo plays on it. So far, so good. He sounds more metal with Motorhead......

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post

Curious to hear how Robbo plays on it. So far, so good. He sounds more metal with Motorhead......
    I love this. Others hate it of course. Robbo is killing it.

Yeah it's not the usual, snotty Motorhead but it's great. It's just traditional rock and metal. It's kinda melodic but dripping with attitude. I dig it.

Robbo's tone is beautiful on it. Motorfans who don't like APD have a serious case of HUA.

Just heard the whole album.....Peace Sells.....But Who's Buying......by.......

A masterpiece.

I have always liked this one.

JOURNAL

https://journalmusic.bandcamp.com/

It's been 8 long years since they released their opus Unlorja.

Their new album "Chrysalis Ordalias" finally comes out on July 17th.

the title track both with and without vocals is up to stream already.

dat book.

Listening to Metallica......St. Anger.

It's a grunged out noisy mess. But it's fast and thrashy. I like it.

Wow, I'm shocked. RIP. I was just listening to Power Metal, Pantera''s 4th album yesterday. That album just rocks like hell.

RIP Vinnie.....

Been listening to an album by Riot, titled.....Inishmore. this group has a huge discography and I randomly picked it. It's the best Thin Lizzy album of the 21st century.

In honor of Vinnie, listening to Cowboys From Hell.

Message In Blood......Pantera

Been listening to an album by Riot, titled.....Inishmore. this group has a huge discography and I randomly picked it. It's the best Thin Lizzy album of the 21st century.
    Haven't heard it, but you make it sound interesting.
    Thundersteel is the only one of theirs I really have any passion for. Love it as much today as when I first heard it. Tony Moore's vocals are a big part of that. The next one with Moore is also really good, but I don't reach for it nearly as much. Still haven't heard Reale's last one, where Moore and the rest of the Thundersteel band reunited.

If you like Thin Lizzy you will love Inishmore. Its heavy metal bit melodic and lots of guitar harmonies, and very Irish. Not sure why since they are American but it just is so Lizzyish.

If you like Thin Lizzy you will love Inishmore. Its heavy metal bit melodic and lots of guitar harmonies, and very Irish. Not sure why since they are American but it just is so Lizzyish.
    Cool.
    When I looked up this album, I saw it was a tribute to Celtic mythology. The one they put out before was a tribute to the culture of Native Americans.

Speaking of Lizzy. Wondering what people on this thread thing of Black Star Riders? Not really metal, but they evolved from Thin Lizzy, feature Scott Gorham, and have a similar sound. I have 2 of their albums and really like them both. I saw them play to about 50 people in a club a couple of years ago (this place has a capacity of 1000). It was a really sad turnout, but they played like they were playing in front of a stadium. I was very impressed.

^I've heard their albums on YouTube. Good music. The singer is obviously influenced by Philo. Would love to see them live. Not sure they've ever played in Florida, let alone S. Fla.

^I've heard their albums on YouTube. Good music. The singer is obviously influenced by Philo. Would love to see them live. Not sure they've ever played in Florida, let alone S. Fla.
    The tour I saw them on was the only U.S. jaunt that I am aware of. It was after the first album came out, but don't remember exactly what year. Judging by how many people they drew, I doubt they will be back anytime soon. Hopefully they had better crowds in other cities.

Now Playing:

Band: Accept
    Album: Restless And Wild

Been on a huge metal kick lately. Today's spins have included:

Rotting Christ - Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy - what a great disc. The music is as evil as the cover art. There's nothing cartoonish about these guys, they aren't there to appeal to adolescent boys... it feels more like I should be looking behind my shoulder to see if anything has been conjured by playing this music. Love it, and kept it off the shelf to remind me to spin it again this week!

The Agonist - Lullabies For The Dormant Mind - A punch to the face - in a good way! Alissa does a great job in Arch Enemy, but I miss this style of her alternating vocals. And c'mon, she does an a capella version of Swan Lake? This is one killer band IMO. Brilliant album, probably their best although the first three are all fabulous.

Arch Enemy - Burning Bridges - The aforementioned band before they had Angela (or Alissa.) I don't know what it is about the earlier albums, but they just don't do it for me. Even some of the re-recorded stuff with Angela from 2009 doesn't grab me. I gave this one another shot but back to the shelf it goes.

Opeth - Still Life - This has always been that unusual album for me that is sandwiched between two excellent ones IMO. My Arms, Your Hearse was the ultimate of that early sound, and Blackwater Park is their masterpiece to my ears. And although this one has The Moor, Face Of Melinda and Godhead's Lament, it doesn't quite hit the heights of the other albums from this general time frame. Still, an important stepping stone album and I always enjoy it when I'm in the mood. Even with the Camel ripoff.

Thy Serpent - Forests Of Witchery - Still one of my favourite black metal albums. I can't take too much of the early "true" (eye roll) black metal stuff, where the more poorly played and recorded, the better. But stuff like this, with a bit better production, and keyboard melodies, really appeals to me. I've had this CD for a loooooong time and I return to it on a fairly regular basis.

Abbath - Abbath - Former Immortal member's solo/band project from a couple of years ago. Pretty good if you like the style. Nothing you haven't heard before, but a good fun spin.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Opeth - Still Life - This has always been that unusual album for me that is sandwiched between two excellent ones IMO. My Arms, Your Hearse was the ultimate of that early sound, and Blackwater Park is their masterpiece to my ears
    Blackwater Park was approachable, and has been a "gateway drug" into that sub-genre of metal for a lot of people - but I think Still Life was their masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Even with the Camel ripoff.
    Mikael Ackerfeld told me long ago that his favorite band is...

...Camel.
    Regards,

Duncan