Page 40 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2217

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just played a song of their's....Silver Dollar. Epic. I've watched some live footage too. 3 lead guitars. Some guitar harmonies in there. Ya think?
    They had a big hit with Elton John's Bad Side Of The Moon. You can't really escape them up here on classic rock radio, but then again we have the 'Canadian Content' rule imposed on us. Not that I've listened to the radio in 20 years...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

They were from Halifax no?

They were from Halifax no?
    Yep.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Jon Neudorf
    Great to see April Wine getting some love. A criminally underated Canadian band. Had a great run of '70s albums: Stand Back, Forever For Now, The whole Worlds Going Crazy, Electric Jewels, First Glance, On Record, etc. Great stuff!

For those who prefer a more contemporary approach to metal - this is interesting:

Wilderun : Veil of Imagination

Oddly, a friend in Germany alerted me to this Boston-based group.

There are a few "cookie monster" vocals (go on, be brave - it will be worth it in the long run ). If you need a "genre", I'd call it symphonic-progressive metal - though it's more wide-ranging than that. It crosses from regular metal to soft acoustic ballads to hard-edged prog to bombastic symphonic textures to regular progressive metal.

Regards,

Duncan

Wow, very nice Duncan!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    For those who prefer a more contemporary approach to metal - this is interesting:

Wilderun : Veil of Imagination

Oddly, a friend in Germany alerted me to this Boston-based group.

There are a few "cookie monster" vocals (go on, be brave - it will be worth it in the long run ). If you need a "genre", I'd call it symphonic-progressive metal - though it's more wide-ranging than that. It crosses from regular metal to soft acoustic ballads to hard-edged prog to bombastic symphonic textures to regular progressive metal.

Stunning dynamics! I love the symphonic element mixed with the aggressive metal.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    No you can't, but I would have thought you'd have heard something like Could Have Been A Lady on the radio. But I could be mistakenly thinking they were more popular outside of Canada than they were.
    In the U.S. they had some really big hits. If you listened to rock radio at all in the late 70's and early 80's I am not sure how songs like "Roller", "Sign Of The Gypsy Queen", "Just Between You And Me", "I Like To Rock", and "All Over Town" could be missed.

Not sure if any of you watch Pete Pardo's (Sea Of Tranquility) YouTube shows, but he just did one on April Wine a couple of days ago:

^ I saw that show a couple days ago. I explored those couple of AW albums because of Pardo.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Been binge-ing on Budgie. What a heavy band. This weekend, my favorite Budgie album is. .... Power Supply (1980). Secrets In My Head is a slammer.

I am now exploring......The Scorpions: In Trance and Virgin Killer.
    E-A-T

The eons are closing
    Been binge-ing on Budgie. What a heavy band. This weekend, my favorite Budgie album is. .... Power Supply (1980). Secrets In My Head is a slammer.
    Love those batty birds!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I am now exploring......The Scorpions: In Trance and Virgin Killer.
    Two of their best IMO, along with Fly To The Rainbow and Taken By Force.

Eesh. Uli Roth is a guitar God. Virgin Killer is killer. I need to own it.

Eesh. Uli Roth is a guitar God. Virgin Killer is killer. I need to own it.
    Yeah, that run of albums is essential in any hard rock fan's collection IMO. For me personally, there's a major drop following Uli's departure, although I think they regained steam a few albums later with Blackout and Love At First Sting. After that, an even bigger plummet, with the exception of the surprisingly good Humanity: Hour One.

But yeah. Virgin Killer and everything else from that period are musts.

Continuing my Scorpions binge: Taken By Force, Lovedrive. You can hear a bit of a change to a little more of a commercial, metal sound. Not sure why Uli left the band around this time but he really was what made them great in the mid 70s.
    E-A-T

Continuing my Scorpions binge: Taken By Force, Lovedrive. You can hear a bit of a change to a little more of a commercial, metal sound. Not sure why Uli left the band around this time but he really was what made them great in the mid 70s.
    Largely because he wanted to start doing his Electric Sun thing, which wouldn't have suited the Scorps.

Taken By Force is great, and of course so is the live album The Tokyo Tapes. I've never been crazy about Lovedrive. But it's a lot of people's favourite, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Largely because he wanted to start doing his Electric Sun thing, which wouldn't have suited the Scorps.

Taken By Force is great, and of course so is the live album The Tokyo Tapes. I've never been crazy about Lovedrive. But it's a lot of people's favourite, so...
    Lovedrive is kinda generic. Their evolution from proggy, heavy rock to commercial heavy metal is sorta like the same evolution of Judas Priest, from heavy, experimental, proto-metal to complete, metal knuckleheads by 1978..... Seriously, I do not understand how Rocka-Rolla is so marginalized. This is how Heavy Metal sounded in 1974. It was heavy and riffy, yet proggy. Great album. I need to buy the damn thing.

I'm into Fly To The Rainbow and Lonesome Crow at this very moment. Lonesome Crow is very proggy and krautrocky, but it's heavy too. Michael Schenker was/is one hell of a talent. He's not Uli but he's damn good. Fly To The Rainbow is awesome. There's still a prog hangover on it but overall heavier and riffy. I should buy these albums.
    E-A-T

Lately I'm thinking that I'm listening to the same albums on Youtube over and over, so I bought one. I found Volcanic Rock by Buffalo on Amazon. I got is faster than I thought I would. To my surprise it was a two-fer. Volcanic and We Only Want You Fer Yer Body ( or whatever tf the title is ). For 13 bucks I got 2, kickass, early, heavy proto-metal albums.

Lately I'm thinking that I'm listening to the same albums on Youtube over and over, so I bought one. I found Volcanic Rock by Buffalo on Amazon. I got is faster than I thought I would. To my surprise it was a two-fer. Volcanic and We Only Want You Fer Yer Body ( or whatever tf the title is ). For 13 bucks I got 2, kickass, early, heavy proto-metal albums.
    Nice! Good albums.

The next few albums I buy will be Budgie albums, starting with the first album. I worship Budgie.

The next few albums I buy will be Budgie albums, starting with the first album. I worship Budgie.
    The first four are the best - after that the decline begins

^ I sort of agree. But Power Supply (1980) is pretty damn good. I need that album.