Page 39 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've been finding a bunch of my boxes o' CDs in the attic and reconnecting with a bunch of my prog metal. I've been listening to a lot of:

Jag Panzer
    Wolverine

and some newer stuff from the MMR label like:

nth Ascension
    Sonic Divide

and a bunch of classic metal:

Judas Priest (I'd never listened to them, and now am a fan!)
    Dio
    and more

I have a pretty damned good prog metal collection - sure there's some sketchy stuff in there, but a lot of good stuff too.

Been listening to a band called Buffalo, an early 70s Australian group. Pretty heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Been listening to a band called Buffalo, an early 70s Australian group. Pretty heavy.
    Volcanic Rock is great. If you're checking them out on YT, it's pretty easy to go down that rabbit hole of obscure hard rock bands in that style. Lots of great stuff out there in the Sabbath/Purple/Priest/Rainbow kind of area that never got lucky enough to 'make it'.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Volcanic Rock is great. If you're checking them out on YT, it's pretty easy to go down that rabbit hole of obscure hard rock bands in that style. Lots of great stuff out there in the Sabbath/Purple/Priest/Rainbow kind of area that never got lucky enough to 'make it'.
    Yeah there's another band called Bang from PA, USA from the early 70s too. Pretty loud and heavy too. I've been down this rabbit hole a few times. Lots and lots of proto-metal from all over the world. A lot of that stuff is very proggy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listened last night to Dark Tranquility’s “The Gallery.”

There's a couple of Samson songs I simply, can't stop playing. Both are from the Bruce Bruce albums.

Walking Out on You
    Bloodlust

Just a great, heavy groove. It's more hard rock than metal but it's got some heft.

NP: Buffalo...Only Want You For Your Body. Heavy. The album cover is hilarious, and disgusting...

Watched a couple live shows of Bang. Live at the Viper Room 2015 on YT. Spectacular. Heavy, melodic, metallic. Worth a look.

Listening to Sir Lord Baltimore, all 3 albums. Kingdom Come is/was the next step in the development of Heavy Metal. Strong Cream influence but with more guts.

Listening to Sir Lord Baltimore, all 3 albums. Kingdom Come is/was the next step in the development of Heavy Metal. Strong Cream influence but with more guts.
    No joke, I was JUST about to ask if you'd heard those guys!

Their second album isn't as good as the first but there are a couple of really, heavy, metallic tracks. Their last album, III Raw is very metal.

Been listening to Cirith Ungol......King Of The Dead. Very doomy and dark. The lead singer I tolerate....

Just heard April Wine's cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man. Damn it's metallic. Love it. I haven't heard too many cover versions of that song but this one is fantastic.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Just heard April Wine's cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man. Damn it's metallic. Love it. I haven't heard too many cover versions of that song but this one is fantastic.
    Yeah, it's pretty decent, eh?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've been finding a bunch of my boxes o' CDs in the attic and reconnecting with a bunch of my prog metal. I've been listening to a lot of:

Judas Priest (I'd never listened to them, and now am a fan!)
    Do you have Sad Wings Of Destiny? It's one of my fav's.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Do you have Sad Wings Of Destiny? It's one of my fav's.
    I've been bingeing on 70s Priest all weekend. I know Rocka Rolla is generally marginalized, but I dig it. It's as heavy as any of their 70s albums, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty decent, eh?
    I'm just now listening to April Wine for the first time today. Crunchy, heavy, melodic.

Yup, that one is a classic.

I'm just now listening to April Wine for the first time today. Crunchy, heavy, melodic.
    I would not really consider them metal, but April Wine were a great hard rock band. I have a few of their albums and saw them live once. One of Canada's best exports.

Yeah, they're kinda power pop, but some stuff is pretty heavy. First Glance and Harder Faster have some kickass, crunch rockers.

What, for the first time ever? Surely you'd heard a couple of their hits at least?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

What, for the first time ever? Surely you'd heard a couple of their hits at least?
    I'm sure I heard the name of the band in the 70s but no recollection of ever hearing them. You can't hear every single rock band ever. I've discovered treasure on YT. Been discovering several, heavy bands from the early 70s.

I'm sure I heard the name of the band in the 70s but no recollection of ever hearing them. You can't hear every single rock band ever. I've discovered treasure on YT. Been discovering several, heavy bands from the early 70s.
    No you can't, but I would have thought you'd have heard something like Could Have Been A Lady on the radio. But I could be mistakenly thinking they were more popular outside of Canada than they were.

No you can't, but I would have thought you'd have heard something like Could Have Been A Lady on the radio. But I could be mistakenly thinking they were more popular outside of Canada than they were.
    Just played a song of their's....Silver Dollar. Epic. I've watched some live footage too. 3 lead guitars. Some guitar harmonies in there. Ya think?