Page 31 of 88 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Good stuff, I'll have to check out some of those bands you mentioned, and of course some of this list.

I've tried Colors by BTBAM but it didn't hit me. Maybe the clean vocals sounded lame perhaps or I was just not in the mood? Should I try again? Why don't you dig the Cattle Decap album? I am getting into Gojira now too - some good stuff there.

Gotta say - I am a medium-sized fan of metal (usually the more insane grindcore and tech stuff) but immersing myself in the entire genre right now (including thrash, doom, djent, black, viking, etc etc) is REALLY REALLY REALLY fucking fun and I am enjoying myself immensely. I was kind of losing steam with prog a bit, and this current binge has seemed to invigorate me. I am amazed at how vast and diverse metal truly is - there are really no words to describe it. Even an album like Power Trip Nightmare Logic, which is a modern throwback to thrash/hardcore is just so much goddamn FUN. I dunno, we'll see how long this ride lasts but right now if it's not metal, it can go fuck itself with satan's dirty underwear.

So, I'll say this about BTBAM: I had Alaska and one other album of theirs and they did NOT click for me at all until I happened to catch them live. They are (IMHO) exceptionally good, tight and powerful onstage and that is when the music really came to life for me. So it's a case for me where I'm listening to the album through my own mental filter of recalling what they can do live. I'm seeing them next month in fact so they're on tour now...if they've in your neck of the woods dude, give 'em a stab

Speaking of losing steam, so it's kind of funny: I'm very ambivalent regarding modern prog and quite a sizable amount of classic prog but I've been going nuts diving into the synthwave scene. Stuff like Carpenter Brut (best live show EVER), Dance with the Dead, Dan Terminus, Gost, Perturbator and more. I've chatted with a few of those dudes at the shows and most of them are actually metalheads who got sick of metal and decided to go all synth instead We're all running away from something or another, I suppose!
    Last edited by battema; 11-14-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Loving this channel too......tons of great content.
    This is probably going to be my album of the year. I absolutely adore every minute of it. Reviewer is fun but he definitely missed some things: he commented on not being able to find a theme, where the band explicitly said that this was an album WITHOUT a concept throughout.

If you haven't seen the short film (basically the two videos for the first two tracks blended together), it's amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jD2EvFhxnQ

Everything they've done since Vertikal is pure solid gold in my world.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Oooohh this is good! So can you fill me in on this band? King Diamond was after this band? Is this considered black metal or a precursor? Is this whole album great?
    King Diamond is a founding member and main writer of the band. The first 2 LPS and the EP are legendary, and Melissa in particular I would call a masterpiece. They were precursors to everything - thrash metal, black metal, power metal. Incredible riffs and musicianship combined with zanny vocals from mr Diamond. To cut a long story short this is an absolutely essential metal band.

I am very pleased you dig it. It would be wrong if you didn't.

Oh boy - I like this.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

LOVE that artwork

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    LOVE that artwork
    Not into the black metal stuff? Some of it is....ummm....cheesy as all fuck perhaps.....but there is an endearing dark, Scandinavian, eerie quality that draws me in. That Dodsengal album sounds different to me - I was digging it so much I ordered their next double CD for $26 in a digipack book! Oh yeah.

Cult of Luna and Gojira on the hi-fi today.

So Johnny Batts (and anybody actually who wants to play)....if you're in the mood hit me with your fav 10 or so metal acts from any genre....old, nu, anything. Danke.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    King Diamond is a founding member and main writer of the band. The first 2 LPS and the EP are legendary, and Melissa in particular I would call a masterpiece. They were precursors to everything - thrash metal, black metal, power metal. Incredible riffs and musicianship combined with zanny vocals from mr Diamond. To cut a long story short this is an absolutely essential metal band.

I am very pleased you dig it. It would be wrong if you didn't.
    I listened to that track again last night....loved it. About 93 different riffs in there

I have King Diamond Abaigail on the playlist now - sounds.....very 80's from the few seconds I spent with it......but we'll go with it.

Not into the black metal stuff? Some of it is....ummm....cheesy as all fuck perhaps.....but there is an endearing dark, Scandinavian, eerie quality that draws me in. That Dodsengal album sounds different to me - I was digging it so much I ordered their next double CD for $26 in a digipack book! Oh yeah.

Cult of Luna and Gojira on the hi-fi today.
    Oh no, I dig me some black metal. I tend to lean towards the atmospheric stuff (Alcest, Wolves in the Throne Room, to a lesser degree Agalloch) but there's always room for BM at Chez Batts. In fact, I just found this very cool synth-heavy black metal band to enjoy: https://gnawtheirtongues.bandcamp.co...f-the-restorer

I enjoyed listening to Dodsengel above...it's just that the artwork REALLY jumped out at me

So Johnny Batts (and anybody actually who wants to play)....if you're in the mood hit me with your fav 10 or so metal acts from any genre....old, nu, anything. Danke.
    Probably a fair # of these are already familiar to you BUT:

Cult of Luna - post
    Deafheaven - shoegazer black
    3rd and the Mortal - atmospheric doom/avant <-- these guys were actually my entry point into the world of metal and will forever be near/dear to my heart. And 'Painting on Glass' is a D.I.D.
    maudlin of the Well / early Kayo Dot - astral
    Gaza - hardcore / progressive
    Between the Buried and Me - progressive / hardcore
    Intra Arma - progressive / doom / etc.
    SUNN O))) - drone GOD
    Sub Rosa - might be closer to Swans than straight metal but god were they amazing
    Oranssi Pazuzu - black / psychedelic / post / progressive

These are just off the top of my head, there are probably more...

When black metal started incorporating more melody and symphonic elements, I started tuning in more. I can't really get into the original wave of stuff that is mostly just poorly recorded noise with very little variation between the songs. I really like stuff like Dimmu Borgir though, and one of my favourites was Thy Serpent. Check out these two tracks - first one metal, second one atmospheric:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Probably a fair # of these are already familiar to you BUT:

Cult of Luna - post
    Deafheaven - shoegazer black
    3rd and the Mortal - atmospheric doom/avant <-- these guys were actually my entry point into the world of metal and will forever be near/dear to my heart. And 'Painting on Glass' is a D.I.D.
    maudlin of the Well / early Kayo Dot - astral
    Gaza - hardcore / progressive
    Between the Buried and Me - progressive / hardcore
    Intra Arma - progressive / doom / etc.
    SUNN O))) - drone GOD
    Sub Rosa - might be closer to Swans than straight metal but god were they amazing
    Oranssi Pazuzu - black / psychedelic / post / progressive

These are just off the top of my head, there are probably more...
    Great stuff - thanks Johnnybatts. Actually, I don't know most of that list - really only Gaza, Maudin/Kayo Dot, a tiny tiny bit of SUNNY O)))rangejuice, and just the bit of Cult of Luna I heard this week (which is great btw).

If anybody else wants to play, I'm all ears.

NP: Death Symoblic - shit these cats could really play! Like thrash meets Suzuki Violin School Vol. 5 meets funeral home

I listened to that track again last night....loved it. About 93 different riffs in there

I have King Diamond Abaigail on the playlist now - sounds.....very 80's from the few seconds I spent with it......but we'll go with it.
    The solo King Diamond stuff is good but far inferior than the Mercyful Fate.

The first two Mercyful Fate albums are absolute classics. The first four King Diamond albums are great too. After that, both outfits become rather hit-and-miss for me, although King Diamond put out a couple of really solid later releases with Voodoo and The Puppet Master. I've never been wowed by the re-formed Mercyful Fate albums. They're okay, but I'm never compelled to put them on.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

How good is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The first two Mercyful Fate albums are absolute classics. The first four King Diamond albums are great too. After that, both outfits become rather hit-and-miss for me, although King Diamond put out a couple of really solid later releases with Voodoo and The Puppet Master. I've never been wowed by the re-formed Mercyful Fate albums. They're okay, but I'm never compelled to put them on.
    Cool - hit me with other stuff you dig....from any era, style, etc....thx

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I really like stuff like Dimmu Borgir though
    Yeah - they do it well. You gotta take a few slices of cheese along the way, but yeah. His voice is perfect for that style of black.

Cool - hit me with other stuff you dig....from any era, style, etc....thx
    Well, one of my favourite current bands is The Agonist from Montreal, who have just put out their sixth album. The first three had Alyssa White-Gluz as vocalist before she defected to Arch Enemy, and she was replaced by Vicky Psarakis. Both singers switch between death metal vocals and clean, melodic singing (Psarakis does far more of the latter than White-Gluz did). They can get pretty intense, but it's impressive stuff IMO.

I also quite like the legendary Greek band Rotting Christ, who have put out several solid releases over the last decade that have seen them become a bit more atmospheric and experimental. Examples of both bands below:

^Cool- I'll check these out.

Diggin' some Cannibal Corpse right now....pretty sick stuff! Tight as balls.

300 College level Cannibal Corpse discussion.

^^^ that is SO crazy dude...I was totally thinking Car Bomb would be right up your alley but I couldn't quite decide what song would be best

80's American metal as it should - and never will again - be

Pure Scandinavian metal bliss that the Opeth guy listens when he's taking breakfast

Jam of the day for me: