Page 28 of 89 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    UFO is just fantastic, I've been digging through a lot of their live stuff on YT. Missed the compilation though, can you link?

Never got to see them myself, will have to try that sometime. RIP Paul Raymond BTW, what a shame, at least he went out still performing....
    Michael Schenker is in concert 10 minutes from my house on Thursday night at a great venue, but I will be heading to ROSfest, so going to miss him. Timing on this one sucks........

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Michael Schenker is in concert 10 minutes from my house on Thursday night at a great venue, but I will be heading to ROSfest, so going to miss him. Timing on this one sucks........
    Bummer. But hey, you're going to a fest!

Did Schenker ever sober up? Well, I guess he'd be dead by now if he hadn't.

Now playing Heaven & Hell's The Devil You Know. Dio's backing bands never played with this much authority or ferocity.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

Now playing Heaven & Hell's The Devil You Know. Dio's backing bands never played with this much authority or ferocity.
    Vinny Appice and Jimmy Bain were a GREAT rhythm section!

Vinny was the drummer in H&H, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Bummer. But hey, you're going to a fest!
    Yes, I am not complaining, but would have liked to have seen Schenker if I was in town. Glenn Hughes is also playing the area this weekend too.

I was a little bit disappointed with "The Devil You Know". I was really looking forward to it when it came out, but did not live up to my expectations at the time, although I like some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yes, I am not complaining, but would have liked to have seen Schenker if I was in town. Glenn Hughes is also playing the area this weekend too.
    Okay, NOW is the time to complain! GH is a force!

Okay, NOW is the time to complain! GH is a force!
    Agree, I saw him a few years ago and he was amazing.

I'm revisiting Manilla Road again. Good grief. Why, how is it that I find these hidden gems after people from these bands die? Damn the reaper.

What a unique band. Those first couple of albums would be Rush albums in an alternate reality (or if Rush would have stayed Metal).

And regarding Mark Shelton's voice: I've read comments on The Tube that some people can't stand his voice. I love it. I didn't acquire the taste, I liked it instantly. Very unique, ominous, doomy, even operatic.

From what I gather, Herr Michael has been sober for the last ten or so years. I saw him last year with the Michael Schenker Fest show. Basically him and the three vocalists (Gary Bardens, Graham Bonnett, and Robin McCauley) he had in the 80's, plus his mid 80's rhythm section (Ted McKenna and Chris Glen...yes, I know Ted passed away a few months ago) and they just totally killed. The last half hour was all UFO songs, including a 13 minute version of Rock Bottom!

Two Wild Horses albums, '80-81, led by Jimmy Bain and Brian "Robbo" Robertson. I love 'em. Rock Candy reissued them with some nice bonus cuts.
    How is Wild Horses? I love Robbo's work with Thin Lizzy. Does Wild Horses continue in that tradition?

As for Dio, here's the thing about that guy: I was lucky enough to go see Heaven And Hell (and i got really cheap seats for that show, which was a story in and of itself), probably about 6, maybe 7 or 8 months before Ronnie went home. And here's the thing: if he hadn't had made it publicly known that he had cancer, you'd have never known that there was anything wrong with him, or that he'd be gone less than a year later. The guy came on, and just totally slayed. He gave the same kind of performance he always gave. You could tell he was happy and grateful to be able to perform for us.

Of course, the rest of the band killed too. I think the version of Heaven And Hell itself was something like 12 minutes, with Iommi playing a mammoth solo. But the thing I'll always remember about that show is Dio giving us everything he had.

Oh, and if you want to hear music that sounds truly evil, put on some Kenny G. That's where the real evil is, not any heavy metal band.

RJD, yet another artist of heavy rock that I never paid attention to until after the reaper took him. Yeah, I finished listening to Manilla, Accept, and the Shadows.......and I'm listening to my Dio mix again.

anyone know the progressive tech/death band Equipose?

their new album is pretty insane ala Spawn of Possession in some ways, but with jazzy sections in the Al Di Meola vein.

Listening to Alterbrige. First time ever. Couple songs in. I'd call this music, modern, melodic, heavy metal. Kinda King's X-ish.

Listening to The Offspring. It's punk, I guess, but the guitars are pure thrash. I like 'em.

Listening to In Extremo. Don't know if it's metal, but I like it.

Revisiting Creed. I had the first album, My Own Prison 20 tears ago. Lost interest. Listening to it now. Heavy album. Mark Tremonte obviously loves Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Revisiting Creed. I had the first album, My Own Prison 20 tears ago. Lost interest. Listening to it now. Heavy album. Mark Tremonte obviously loves Metal.
    I have somewhere "My Own Prison" too plus "Human Clay".
    Cheers!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Listening to The Offspring. It's punk, I guess, but the guitars are pure thrash. I like 'em.
    For me, the first 2:
    "The Offspring" and "Ignition".
    Last edited by TCC; 05-05-2019 at 11:56 PM.

Cult of Luna is back with a new album in the fall, dropped new single "The Silent Man" on various digital platforms today. This...is GOOD news. At least for me.

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Cult of Luna is back with a new album in the fall, dropped new single "The Silent Man" on various digital platforms today. This...is GOOD news. At least for me.

Death Portent

haiduk

Tremonte is indeed a metalhead. But Creed is still...meh. The vocals bury it.

Saw Overkill and Death Angel last night. Great night of east and west coast thrash.

Listening to Alterbrige. First time ever. Couple songs in. I'd call this music, modern, melodic, heavy metal. Kinda King's X-ish.
    Big Alter Bridge fan here. I have all of their albums and they are all solid. For my money Myles Kennedy is one of the best vocalists out there right now. I have never seen Alter Bridge live, but Kennedy is also the lead vocalist for Slash's band who I saw a few years ago. Kennedy's voice was spot on all night. He has an incredible set of pipes and is also a good guitarist. There is certainly good reason as to why he almost got the Led Zeppelin gig. Tremonte is a great guitarist too.