Page 27 of 89 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...or they just prefer it. I know I prefer Ozzy Sabbath much more than Dio Sabbath. Not dissing Dio as I was always a fan of his as well, but I prefer the more evil, less-polised Sabbath variety
    Sure about that? "Voodoo," "Sign of the Southern Cross," "Heaven and Hell"...

And really, shame on whoever ignores or bypasses the best '70s albums, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage. Technical Ecstasy is rad, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Sure about that? "Voodoo," "Sign of the Southern Cross," "Heaven and Hell"...
    less-polished

Those are very cool tunes ...and speaking of RJD, the last album I ever bought on vinyl (through Colombia House ) was Dio 'Last In Line'
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Ya know, I was sure I'd heard some early Rainbow, but I don't remember being knocked over by Stargazer. What an epic track. Heard it yesterday. It's now been added to my Dio mix. Just a great, epic track.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Ya know, I was sure I'd heard some early Rainbow, but I don't remember being knocked over by Stargazer. What an epic track. Heard it yesterday. It's now been added to my Dio mix. Just a great, epic track.
    Rising is unbelievable. One of the best albums of the '70s, IMO. You might have heard the first Rainbow album. Rising's the second. Then the third is Long Live Rock 'n' Roll, which is also the last with Dio.

Rising's best asset after RJD is keyboardist Tony Carey. He's a phenomenal talent who desires more recognition. He had some chart success in the '80s with "A Fine, Fine Day," "I Won't Be Home Tonight" and (as Planet P Project, his art-prog moniker) "Why Me?" He's also recorded electronic music and singer-songwriter stuff. Tony's from Cali but has made Germany his home since the late '70s.

Rising is unbelievable. One of the best albums of the '70s, IMO. You might have heard the first Rainbow album. Rising's the second. Then the third is Long Live Rock 'n' Roll, which is also the last with Dio.

Rising's best asset after RJD is keyboardist Tony Carey. He's a phenomenal talent who desires more recognition. He had some chart success in the '80s with "A Fine, Fine Day," "I Won't Be Home Tonight" and (as Planet P Project, his art-prog moniker) "Why Me?" He's also recorded electronic music and singer-songwriter stuff. Tony's from Cali but has made Germany his home since the late '70s.
    I always loved Cary's Planet P album "Pink World". That whole "Rising" lineup was basically an all-star band. Cozy Powell on drums, Jimmy Bain on bass both went on to play with many other famous artists and bands. "Rising" is a must own album for fans of Ronnie.

I have come to the conclusion, that Ronald James Padovona is the greatest vox of hard rock ever. He's in that category of Rock vocalist with a strong head voice. It blows away Robert Plant, Ian Gillan, Ozzy, and even Rob Halford. There, I said it. I'd probably compare him to Steve Walsh. Ronnie could've sang with Kansas.

I have come to the conclusion, that Ronald James Padovona is the greatest vox of hard rock ever. He's in that category of Rock vocalist with a strong head voice. It blows away Robert Plant, Ian Gillan, Ozzy, and even Rob Halford. There, I said it. I'd probably compare him to Steve Walsh. Ronnie could've sang with Kansas.
    I agree wholeheartedly! He's my favorite male vocalist, period.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I always loved Cary's Planet P album "Pink World". That whole "Rising" lineup was basically an all-star band. Cozy Powell on drums, Jimmy Bain on bass both went on to play with many other famous artists and bands. "Rising" is a must own album for fans of Ronnie.
    A truly beautiful concept album. Tony's the whole package. Shit, there was a time I wanted to be him.

Jimmy Bain on bass both went on to play with many other famous artists and bands.
    Two Wild Horses albums, '80-81, led by Jimmy Bain and Brian "Robbo" Robertson. I love 'em. Rock Candy reissued them with some nice bonus cuts.

I forgot to mention Ronnie blows away Bruce Dickenson too.

I forgot to mention Ronnie blows away Bruce Dickenson too.
    Blows away? They are both tremendous vocalists.

My favorite as well. I saw him live 6 or 7 times and he delivered every single time.

I love the guy but favorite...nope.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Devin Townsend is hands down my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Devin Townsend is hands down my favorite.
    Is there one Devin Townsend album you'd recommend? I know he's prolific, and all over the place. Where would/should I start with Devin?

Is there one Devin Townsend album you'd recommend? I know he's prolific, and all over the place. Where would/should I start with Devin?
    Hard to say man, he's all over the place as you said. I think judging by your tastes I've seen here at PE, you may want to give 'Ocean Machine' a try? If you like it, man you'll be in for a fun ride because he's got so much out there. You'll have to like a wall of sound though...that's not for everyone. Here is a tune from it...

This YouTube Channel Streams AI-Generated Death Metal 24/7
    Dadabots was developed by two music technologists who wanted to prove that a neural network was capable of capturing the subtle stylistic differences between Death Metal, Math Rock, and other lesser-known genres.

https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_...lack-metal-247

Just checked, apparently Black Sabbath's Cross Purposes is OOP. Hard to believe anything in their catalog is OOP but there it is.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Just checked, apparently Black Sabbath's Cross Purposes is OOP. Hard to believe anything in their catalog is OOP but there it is.
    Both Cross Purposes and Forbidden are. Many secondhand copies out there.

NP: My Eyes....Dio.

Rock and Roll Eyes, the colour of psychedelic, metallic rainbows......

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Listening to that live UFO compilation again. Space Child is a mundane slow tempo tune but when Schenker kicks in with his solo he just BURNS!
    UFO is just fantastic, I've been digging through a lot of their live stuff on YT. Missed the compilation though, can you link?

Never got to see them myself, will have to try that sometime. RIP Paul Raymond BTW, what a shame, at least he went out still performing....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Do you have "Heaven And Hell"? By far the best Dio era Sabbath album to my ears. For Tony Martin era Sabbath my favorite is "Tyr".
    What is this "Heaven and Hell" you speak of? Never heard of it....

I have come to the conclusion, that Ronald James Padovona is the greatest vox of hard rock ever. .
    It took you until 2019 to realize this?

I think I figured that one out around 1977....

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    It took you until 2019 to realize this?

I think I figured that one out around 1977....
    I've been binging on Dio albums for the last few weekends on YT. My god, what a voice. Just powerful.