Page 26 of 89 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Heaven and Hell, 13 - the Tony Martin stuff just isn't up to the same level. The album Ian Gillan did had a couple classics but really, the pairing didn't work.
    I don't agree with you about the Martin era, but do agree that "13" ranks right up with Sabbath's best. I like "Born Again" (with Gillan) a lot too. The re-mastered version sounds much better than the original mix.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Do you have "Heaven And Hell"? By far the best Dio era Sabbath album to my ears. For Tony Martin era Sabbath my favorite is "Tyr".
    I do have Heaven and Hell but haven't listened in a long time. Will have to dig it out. Thanks.

Jon

Jon Neudorf
    I have 13 as well and like it alot.

Jon

I don't have any of the Tony Martin albums but have heard a lot of them on Youtube. Cross Purposes sounds pretty good (imo). One track in particular I really love.....Immaculate Deception. The riff is just devastating. And Tony M. is a great singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I don't have any of the Tony Martin albums but have heard a lot of them on Youtube. Cross Purposes sounds pretty good (imo). One track in particular I really love.....Immaculate Deception. The riff is just devastating. And Tony M. is a great singer.
    That one would be my second favorite Martin era album. It is solid.

If you have not heard the last song on Forbidden, the final album with Tony Martin, go to YT and turn it up all the way. Six minutes of devastation called "Kiss of Death." One of Sabbath's best songs. No shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Ok. After the classic '70s Sabbath and Mob Rules where should i go next?

Jon
    How about Dehumanizer?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    If you have not heard the last song on Forbidden, the final album with Tony Martin, go to YT and turn it up all the way. Six minutes of devastation called "Kiss of Death." One of Sabbath's best songs. No shit.
    Great song that I haven't heard in a while...goin to YT now...

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Jon Neudorf
    How about Dehumanizer?
    My daughter gave it to me for Christmas. Haven't played it yet.

Jon

Jon
    "Dehumanizer" has grown on me over the years. I remember when it came out I was not that thrilled with it (although the tour was awesome), but I have pulled it back out in recent years and it has aged quite well.

Jon
    You asked where to go next. Time to break the plastic!

"Dehumanizer" has grown on me over the years. I remember when it came out I was not that thrilled with it (although the tour was awesome), but I have pulled it back out in recent years and it has aged quite well.
    My reaction was the opposite: comeback album! But it wasn't like Sabbath had plunged into the depths like Tull or Saga had. It was more like surprise-shock at how good the songs were in addition to Dio returning.

Jon Neudorf
    You asked where to go next. Time to break the plastic!
    I will soon. It just seems like im always behind with my reviews.

Jon

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks for your input Steve.

NW:
    @ladosis!

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Hello Gang!.
    Queensryche will give a concert on April 30 here in Costa Rica, first time I think!.
    Back in the day, I really enjoyed their music until "Hear In The Now Frontier" album but lost interest after that record, Friends, what should we expect from the show and its current alignment?.

Thanks in advance!.

Fellows, what do you think?, "acoustic show" … great! (IMO)

I enjoyed Tate's talk/stories!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Heard it. Didn't particularly care for it but will try again. Now I'm gonna revisit Cross Purposes. I love the production on it. Even with ear buds, while streaming on my phone I can tell what is well produced and what isnt.

Been sampling Martin era Sabbath and some of the other singers that were part of the Sabbath revolving door. All I gotta say is that in the 80s and 90s Tony Iommi held his own. He was still crushing it with doomy riffs and great, epic songs. I mean all these doom bands like Sleep only fixated on the Ozzy era and yet Sabbath/Tony was still producing doom metal but a little more polished. Really, Dio changed the sound of Sabbath, but it was still heavy and dark metal.

Been sampling Martin era Sabbath and some of the other singers that were part of the Sabbath revolving door. All I gotta say is that in the 80s and 90s Tony Iommi held his own. He was still crushing it with doomy riffs and great, epic songs. I mean all these doom bands like Sleep only fixated on the Ozzy era and yet Sabbath/Tony was still producing doom metal but a little more polished. Really, Dio changed the sound of Sabbath, but it was still heavy and dark metal.
    True. It's like 8000 bands never heard anything past Vol. 4.

Iommi's the anchor. And while it's hard for me to imagine a Sabbath without Geezer, he was indeed absent for the second half of the '80s!

Btw, Glenn Hughes sang on Seventh Star. Ray Gillen (later of Badlands, with Jake E. Lee) sang on the first version of Eternal Idol, after which Martin was brought in to completely redo the vocal tracks.
    Last edited by dropforge; 04-13-2019 at 04:57 PM.

True. It's like a 8000 bands never heard anything past Vol. 4.
    Yeah, I know. I'm currently listening to Dehumanizer. The diabolus en Musica is still very present. Tony and Geezer are the key. Obviously Dio plays a role but really it's Tony who was the glue.

I heard Ray Gillan's demo of Headless Cross. It's good. Hell of a singer but I still like Tony Martin more. I also sampled Seventh Star. I'm a huge Glenn Hughes fan but he's not a metal vocalist (imo).

Has anyone heard Stay Out Of My Mind from Dio, Angry Machines? What a proggy, doomy, epic track. I simply cannot stop listening to Dio. I made a mix on YT of about 40 Dio tracks. I'm waiting to burn out on Dio but it ain't happening yet.

Has anyone heard Stay Out Of My Mind from Dio, Angry Machines? What a proggy, doomy, epic track. I simply cannot stop listening to Dio. I made a mix on YT of about 40 Dio tracks. I'm waiting to burn out on Dio but it ain't happening yet.
    Don't count on it.

Been listening to a stoner compilation on Youtube called Brown Acid:First Trip. It's all early 70s, uknown, proto, fuzzed out, metal bands.. Some tracks are Lo-Fi and off key, but it's raw, archival shit.

True. It's like 8000 bands never heard anything past Vol. 4
    ...or they just prefer it. I know I prefer Ozzy Sabbath much more than Dio Sabbath. Not dissing Dio as I was always a fan of his as well, but I prefer the more evil, less-polised Sabbath variety

Been listening to a stoner compilation on Youtube called Brown Acid:First Trip. It's all early 70s, uknown, proto, fuzzed out, metal bands.. Some tracks are Lo-Fi and off key, but it's raw, archival shit.
    There is a YT channel called 'Stoned Meadow of Doom' and they really cover the stoner rock genre well. There are so many bands its ridiculous. Some are pretty awesome too! It's sent me over to Bandcamp many, many, many times...well, that and Yves