Page 23 of 89 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Been getting into the Priest the last couple of years starting with 'Screaming' and 'Defenders', then latest.
    On trip to Phoenix picked up 'Stained Glass' and 'British Steel'. How do those sit in their canon? Haven't listened to them yet. Very late to the party.

Also picked up 'Book of Souls'.

Jon
    British Steel is kinda meh. To me, anyway. Sad Wings, Stained Class, and, yes, even Point of Entry. Classic Priest.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    You might want to check out the albums with Todd at the helm too. They are much better than the latter day Tate stuff.
    That is a MASSIVE understatement. What Geoff did to that band is criminal. And when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I heard that one song with the lyric about getting "on the dance floor...that's what it's for!"

Holy crap...Geoff's voice was no doubt one of the main components of the band's '80s success, but his vision subsequently became their ruin.

Condition Human is the best album they've done since 1990!

NP: Shame On The Night.....Dio

Um, yeah, Last In Line (the band) is carrying on the Dio tradition. But they are not necessarily a tribute band. I love this style of classic, traditional heavy metal. It's got soul and balls. Powerfully band.

Everything Dio released up through Lock Up The Wolves is crazy good. Things got iffy for a spell starting with Strange Highways (guitarist Tracy G didn't measure up to his predecessors), but a few years on Ronnie came out with Killing the Dragon, which floored me. That was a serious return to form!

Yeah I've been listening to Lock Up The Wolves ( the whole album) on Youtube. It's pretty good. Heavy, melodic, soulful. Everything I love about Dio.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That is a MASSIVE understatement. What Geoff did to that band is criminal. And when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I heard that one song with the lyric about getting "on the dance floor...that's what it's for!" :
    I was just wandering through this thread out of curiosity, and I suddenly became VERY curious to find out if Dedicated to Chaos was as bad as everyone said it was. So I searched on "YOOOOOO--TOOOOOOB" and holy Moses. I definitely have a high pop tolerance but man, this stuff was bad, bad, bad. The music to "Hot Spot Junkie" is okay, but the lyrics are so lame and atrocious that I can't enjoy it. Heck, "Around the World" would be a decent pop song if it weren't for the tired nature of the lyrics. "All you need is love?" Really? You've got nothing better than Lennon '67? A number of songs are tediously repetitive grooves given an "arty" treatment and still failing to impress: "Hard Times" and "Drive" were so tiresome I moved on quickly.

But then we get to the aforementioned "Wot We Do," which sounds like a bad 80s pop pastiche, with horn hits and Geoff Tate's sax. It doesn't even move; it lopes as if Tate's lounge act was somehow inherently sexy enough to pull it off. I just started laughing at this point. I really felt bad for the QR fan who bought this album and got half-assed Queen instead.

Yeah... I see why this album was divisive enough to tear the band apart.

Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Listening to Priest....Ram It Down. First time ever. Good, knuckleheaded, fun album. The gated drums are awful but the guitars and attitude are kickass...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Finally got a copy of Ghost's Ceremony & Devotion. Square Fucking Hammer!
    God, I love that song! The video is fascinating too.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Been getting into the Priest the last couple of years starting with 'Screaming' and 'Defenders', then latest.
    On trip to Phoenix picked up 'Stained Glass' and 'British Steel'. How do those sit in their canon? Haven't listened to them yet. Very late to the party.

Also picked up 'Book of Souls'.

Jon
    Although it gets mixed reviews from fans, I love "British Steel". It ranks right up with my favorite Priest. Their most recent album "Firepower" is really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That is a MASSIVE understatement. What Geoff did to that band is criminal. And when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I heard that one song with the lyric about getting "on the dance floor...that's what it's for!"

Holy crap...Geoff's voice was no doubt one of the main components of the band's '80s success, but his vision subsequently became their ruin.

Condition Human is the best album they've done since 1990!
    I can't argue with that. Pretty much everything after "Promised Land" was not very good, although I did like "American Soldier" and "Mindcrime II" has it's moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Yeah I've been listening to Lock Up The Wolves ( the whole album) on Youtube. It's pretty good. Heavy, melodic, soulful. Everything I love about Dio.
    "Lock Up The Wolves" is one of my favorite Dio albums. It did not do very well from a commercial standpoint, but I have always thought it was under rated.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I was just wandering through this thread out of curiosity, and I suddenly became VERY curious to find out if Dedicated to Chaos was as bad as everyone said it was. So I searched on "YOOOOOO--TOOOOOOB" and holy Moses. I definitely have a high pop tolerance but man, this stuff was bad, bad, bad. The music to "Hot Spot Junkie" is okay, but the lyrics are so lame and atrocious that I can't enjoy it. Heck, "Around the World" would be a decent pop song if it weren't for the tired nature of the lyrics. "All you need is love?" Really? You've got nothing better than Lennon '67? A number of songs are tediously repetitive grooves given an "arty" treatment and still failing to impress: "Hard Times" and "Drive" were so tiresome I moved on quickly.

But then we get to the aforementioned "Wot We Do," which sounds like a bad 80s pop pastiche, with horn hits and Geoff Tate's sax. It doesn't even move; it lopes as if Tate's lounge act was somehow inherently sexy enough to pull it off. I just started laughing at this point. I really felt bad for the QR fan who bought this album and got half-assed Queen instead.

I agree, the album was absolutely horrible.

I'm burned out on Firepower. I've played it some much I'm sick of it......

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

The title alone — with its suspect spelling of What — is a huge red flag.

A few years back, I was a member of a QR forum run by a psychofan, i.e. if he thought you were wrong about something, he let you know pronto!

Anyway, I remember Tate's defenders always yadda-ing about how his real forte wasn't metal, it was art rock, which was explanation enough for the band's stylistic shifts after Empire and Promised Land.

All you had to do was go listen to something from Geoff's pre-QR band, Myth, to know they were full of it.

NP: Ballbreaker.......AC/DC

God I worship AC/DC. They're not metal but they are a guitar rock and roll band with balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    NP: Ballbreaker.......AC/DC

God I worship AC/DC. They're not metal but they are a guitar rock and roll band with balls.
    "Ballbreaker" is a good one.

NP; Pantera......Proud To Be Loud.....

Sorry, Vic. They suck.

You suck.....

Still digging on Last In Line (the group).

Revisiting Manilla Road.....To Kill A King.

NP: Castle Of The Devil.......

The new Candlemass is pretty frickin awesome. Heavy and epic as hell. Sabbath completists will want to hear it for the Tony Iommi guest spot on one track.

Last edited by Rael; 03-09-2019 at 08:13 AM.

NP: Manilla Road.......Into The Courts of Chaos......