Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

  1. #476
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,344
    NP: Black Sabbath.......Eternal Idol...

    Tony Martin is Britain's answer to Ronnie James Dio.

  2. #477
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    NP: Iommi....Fused. It's another Tony and Glenn
    Hughes collaboration. It's brickwalled as fuck but it's Tony and Glenn, who are Gods.
    Agree, both the Iommi / Hughes albums are great.

  3. #478
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    NP: Black Sabbath.......Eternal Idol...

    Tony Martin is Britain's answer to Ronnie James Dio.
    I have always thought Martin was under rated. Some of the Sabbath albums with him on vocals are really good.

  4. #479
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have always thought Martin was under rated. Some of the Sabbath albums with him on vocals are really good.
    Cross Purposes, muthafukkas! The tour for that album was killer. Saw them in Detroit. Nasty.

  5. #480
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,344
    Listening to Headless Cross. It's good 80s metal. Not thrash or hair, but NWOBHM. Tony was, and still is the God of Metal guitar.

  6. #481
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,344
    My God Tony Martin really sounds like RJD. The band sounds like Dio. Tony shreds. Imagine if he never would have had that industrial metal accident. He wouldn't be the same guitarist. The accident infused him with Metal.

  7. #482
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,344
    NP: Tyr........

  8. #483

  9. #484
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    NP: Tyr........
    My favorite Martin era album.

  10. #485
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,344
    Listening to Cross Purposes now. Not quite half way through it but damn it's heavy. It's the best sounding of the Tony Martin albums I've heard recently. It's doomy and mean.

  11. #486
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,397
    Cross Purposes is wonderful. Every Martin-Sabbath album rocks, even the wrongly maligned Forbidden.

    Last edited by dropforge; 12-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.

  12. #487
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,344
    I heard all of Cross Purposes. My God, Tony Iommi and Geezer are Riff Gods. Geezer is the difference on this album, plus it was the 90s. Tony Martin is powerful as always.

  13. #488
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I heard all of Cross Purposes. My God, Tony Iommi and Geezer are Riff Gods. Geezer is the difference on this album, plus it was the 90s. Tony Martin is powerful as always.

  14. #489
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,344
    And now I'm listening to Sacred Reich.....Heal. What a creepy album cover. The music is killer. It's punky, groovy, and thrashy.

  15. #490
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Listening to Cross Purposes now. Not quite half way through it but damn it's heavy. It's the best sounding of the Tony Martin albums I've heard recently. It's doomy and mean.
    Agree, the sound on that one is great. Probably my 2nd favorite of the Martin era.

  16. #491
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,344
    I'm about halfway through Heaven Forbid by Blue Oyster Cult. Damn what a heavy BOC album. It makes Curse Of The Hidden Mirror sound tame.

  17. #492
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,397
    Curse of the Hidden Mirror is the better album. "The Old Gods Return" was the best song they laid down since their Fire/Revolution days. Curse is rad!

    That said, I like Heaven Forbid. Just not as much.

    Now...if only they'd make some new music again.

  18. #493
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Curse of the Hidden Mirror is the better album. "The Old Gods Return" was the best song they laid down since their Fire/Revolution days. Curse is rad!

    That said, I like Heaven Forbid. Just not as much.

    Now...if only they'd make some new music again.
    Respectfully.....I totally disagree. For me, "Heaven Forbid" is the much better album of the two. While I agree "Old Gods Return" is a great song, overall I would argue that "Forbid" is the better album. For me, "Harvest Moon", ranks up with the best songs Buck ever wrote, and "I'd Like To See You In Black" is as good as any metal song they ever did. Just my opinion of course......

  19. #494
    Jon Neudorf
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Respectfully.....I totally disagree. For me, "Heaven Forbid" is the much better album of the two. While I agree "Old Gods Return" is a great song, overall I would argue that "Forbid" is the better album. For me, "Harvest Moon", ranks up with the best songs Buck ever wrote, and "I'd Like To See You In Black" is as good as any metal song they ever did. Just my opinion of course......
    Both are excellent. Man it would be nice to hear some new material.

    Jon

  20. #495
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,522
    Bandcamp’s Best Metal of 2018 listing. Haven’t even read it yet but thought it might be of interest:

    https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/12/1...lbums-of-2018/
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  21. #496
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,344
    Just noticed Bobby Rondonelli plays on Cross Purposes and Heaven Forbid. Powerful drummer. I saw him with BOC a couple times.

  22. #497
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just noticed Bobby Rondonelli plays on Cross Purposes and Heaven Forbid. Powerful drummer. I saw him with BOC a couple times.
    Agree, great drummer. I saw him several times with Blue Oyster Cult and also with Rainbow back in the day. I always though he and Cozy Powell had a similar style.

  23. #498
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,397
    Rondinelli played on CotHM, too. He was with them when I saw them play around the time it came out. Not too friendly, though. All the other guys were great. We talked with Eric some and hung out with Buck for an hour (just had to keep a Scotch in his hand).

  24. #499
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,978
    Bandcamp's best metal albums of 2018 - any opinions?

    https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/12/1...lbums-of-2018/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  25. #500
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Bandcamp's best metal albums of 2018 - any opinions?

    https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/12/1...lbums-of-2018/
    Jed already posted this a few threads ago, but looking through it I have become rather out of touch with metal as I am not familiar with any of those bands. I probably need to get exploring.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •