Page 17 of 89 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Listening to Nothingface right now. Woof. Big difference between Killing Technology. Loving it. It's stop-on-a-dime, prog/thrash.
    The early stuff was much thrashier for sure, and they've never really strayed from that original core style. Nothingface and Angel Rat were heading into more thoughtfully composed songs. The Outer Limits has one of my favorite proggish epics on it, Jack Luminous. Then, they got a new singer for a short period and they were heavy industrial thrash for a couple of not-so-good albums. Things came back to form later when Snake (Denis Belanger) rejoined.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    The early stuff was much thrashier for sure, and they've never really strayed from that original core style. Nothingface and Angel Rat were heading into more thoughtfully composed songs. The Outer Limits has one of my favorite proggish epics on it, Jack Luminous. Then, they got a new singer for a short period and they were heavy industrial thrash for a couple of not-so-good albums. Things came back to form later when Snake (Denis Belanger) rejoined.
    I really liked Nothingface. I'm gonna try one of the Jason albums. Was Newsted ever a full member, or was he just a guest musician?

Listening to Voivod's self titled album, with Newsted. So far I'm not hearing the usual twisted metal.

I really liked Nothingface. I'm gonna try one of the Jason albums. Was Newsted ever a full member, or was he just a guest musician?
    He was with them for about 5 or 6 years, but he never really seemed to me to become part of the band. But he really like pointing out often that he was in the band on that Supernova TV show he was part of.

Been listening to a band called.....The Sword. They're categorized as doom/stoner but the album I'm listening to (Warp Riders) doesn't sound like the usual, slow, tedious, monotonous doom I've heard recently. It's heavy, kinda retro 70s heavy metal, with a sprinkling of organ.

The brand new High On Fire album, Electric Messiah, is great. Very aggressive.

as a big fan of Queensryche (the Chris DeGarmo years) it's a shame that the only song they will be known for is a ballad.

Been listening to a band called.....The Sword. They're categorized as doom/stoner but the album I'm listening to (Warp Riders) doesn't sound like the usual, slow, tedious, monotonous doom I've heard recently. It's heavy, kinda retro 70s heavy metal, with a sprinkling of organ.
    I am a fan. They remind me of early Black Sabbath in some ways with a bit more doom / stoner vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    as a big fan of Queensryche (the Chris DeGarmo years) it's a shame that the only song they will be known for is a ballad.
    I assume you are talking about "Silent Lucidity" which is a great song. They had quite a few hits, so not sure that would be the only one. Although I agree the DeGarmo years were the best, there is some good stuff after he left. I think the Todd Latoree album is a very nice return to form.

Like SteveSly said, they had a handful of hits and got a fair amount of radio play. Without the promotion, critical acclaim and radio support that they got for Mindcrime they would never have headlined arenas during that period. That success led to the Empire followup that had 3 or 4 singles on it, including Silent Lucidity. They've just been overshadowed because the last great album they put out was nearly 30 years ago. I also personally enjoyed the next few, but the mainstream appeal peaked with Empire.
    The breakup soap opera turned them into a joke, and Mindcrime II was a horrible mistake.

Their influence on the genre of early progressive metal/rock can't be denied, but they'll likely be effectively forgotten for all they've done, even Silent Lucidity.

But if there's justice in the universe, Rage For Order will one day get a revival and take over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am a fan. They remind me of early Black Sabbath in some ways with a bit more doom / stoner vibe.
    I heard their first album. Too sludgy and cliched stoner doom. I got bored. I played Warp Riders again. God what a sick album. Now listening to Apocryphon.

Apocryphon sounds kinda retro modern stoner (If that makes any sense).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I assume you are talking about "Silent Lucidity" which is a great song. They had quite a few hits, so not sure that would be the only one. Although I agree the DeGarmo years were the best, there is some good stuff after he left. I think the Todd Latoree album is a very nice return to form.
    Two albums, now. The last one, Condition Human, is one of the best QR's done. Just sad to think that Geoff dragged them down with his bizarre ideas for so long. Even OMII wasn't that great.

The Warning is still one of the greatest metal albums ever, though!

NP: Voivod......Rrroooaaarrr

Rrroooaaarrr is fast, angry metal. The way I like my metal...

NP: Destruction......
    Eternal Devestation

One of the Big Four of German thrash...........

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post

So people can buy it if they want too...

https://haiduk.bandcamp.com/
    Thanks \m/

New song from the upcoming album - Exomancer

haiduk

About half way through The Outer Limits (Voivod). God what a great, f***ing album. Standout track so far.....The Lost Machine....

Jon Neudorf
    Really getting into Judas Priest - Firepower. What a great album!

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post

Regards,
    Jon
    Without question, Firepower is the best Priest album since Painkiller. It's one of my favorites of 2018 for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post

Regards,
    Jon
    It's great. I'm burned out on it. I've heard it 50 times since I bought it.

Jon Neudorf
    Will get there eventually.

I'm gonna listen to Jack Luminous again. Hell of an epic track. I remember when I was at the peak of my prog-mania in 2000 I used to listen to an internet, prog radio show hosted by a guy called Jack Luminous. Any connection there?

Just heard Angel Rat by Voivod. It's a different Voivod album. Not thrash or punk, obviously. It's kind of alternative-ish. I dig it it. Brilliant, brilliant band. They have me under their spell.