Page 10 of 89 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: The Everything Metal Thread

NP: The Rods........Wild Dogs.

It's 80s, it's knuckleheaded, and it's awesome.......

NP: Accept.......Fast As A Shark.

Thrash!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    NP: Accept.......Fast As A Shark.

Thrash!
    Is that the one that starts with the needle drop of some old German oompah music until Udo shrieks like a banshee? That record kicks all kinds of ass.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Is that the one that starts with the needle drop of some old German oompah music until Udo shrieks like a banshee? That record kicks all kinds of ass.
    Affirmative. I just played the cover version of that song by Cannibal Corpse.... Truth. I only Youtubed it because some bloke mentioned it in the comments section. It's pretty good but I'm not into Cookie Monster vocalizing. I'd rather hear Udo I shrieking.

NP: Rock Out.......Pantera

It's from their so called glam era, before Cowboys and all that. Glam my ass. Dime was already shredding on the first album. It's just Rock and Roll. I dig it more than their 90s output.

NP: Rock Out.......Pantera

It's from their so called glam era, before Cowboys and all that. Glam my ass. Dime was already shredding on the first album. It's just Rock and Roll. I dig it more than their 90s output.
    Yeah, but the hairspray, spandex and pouty looks though...

I bought the new Dimmu Borgir album and I really like it! I know the black metal 'community' look the other way when they are mentioned these days, but to hell with them, I really enjoy their sound with all the orchestration and choirs. I've given it quite a few spins already.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

I bought the new Dimmu Borgir album and I really like it! I know the black metal 'community' look the other way when they are mentioned these days, but to hell with them, I really enjoy their sound with all the orchestration and choirs. I've given it quite a few spins already.
    Sounds like one I should get.
    Regards,

Duncan

That was the look back then. It's always bothered me that Pantera dismisses those 80s albums and pretend that their "first" album is Cowboys From Hell. I'll concede that Power Metal (1988) could be their first album. That is one beast of an 80s metal album, without that 90s, over down tuned guitar sound and Anselmo's guttural screaming.

So I tried to listen to the Dimmu Borgir mentioned above. Musically it's definitely something I love but the vocals had me closing YouTube in about fifteen seconds. Back to Iron Maiden.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That was the look back then.
    Yes, for glam metal bands. I agree that some of the music on the first four albums is great however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So I tried to listen to the Dimmu Borgir mentioned above. Musically it's definitely something I love but the vocals had me closing YouTube in about fifteen seconds. Back to Iron Maiden.
    Black metal vocals are definitely not for everyone.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

NP: Some Heads Are Gonna Roll............Judas.........

loudwire.com did a Top Metal album from each year since 1970.

http://loudwire.com/best-metal-album...ar-since-1970/

1993 had Type O Negative, which may be their best record, etc..but I guess I would still put Cynic's Focus ahead of it for being very ahead-of-its-time.

Never thought I'd be listening to Stryper.... They are good musicians. Listening to an album by them titled Against The Law. It's got a Sunset Strip sound. They ape Halen and Motley. Pretty good boogie metal.

Cookie monster vocals suck. Always have.

Never thought I'd be listening to Stryper.... They are good musicians. Listening to an album by them titled Against The Law. It's got a Sunset Strip sound. They ape Halen and Motley. Pretty good boogie metal.
    Past their prime. Stick to the first four ('85-88).

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    loudwire.com did a Top Metal album from each year since 1970.

http://loudwire.com/best-metal-album...ar-since-1970/

1993 had Type O Negative, which may be their best record, etc..but I guess I would still put Cynic's Focus ahead of it for being very ahead-of-its-time.
    Typo O was a great band. RIP Peter Steele.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Cookie monster vocals suck. Always have.
    I agree but I've been digging Cannibal Corpes' cover of Accept's Demons Night.......

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Past their prime. Stick to the first four ('85-88).
    I really don't wanna hear those early album. I actually had Soldiers Under Command back in the 80s. I was into Christian Rock back then.

I really don't wanna hear those early album. I actually had Soldiers Under Command back in the 80s. I was into Christian Rock back then.
    I hope you listened to Deliverance at some point. Killa Christian thrash band.

I find Stryper hard to take seriously. Ever since I was a teenager and my friend loaned me one of their tapes. It actually had a cheese metal version of the Battle Hymn Of The Republic. I mean, does it get more cringeworthy than that? And the whole yellow and black spandex thing. Ugh.

Yeah the whole yellow and black spandex thing is a turn off. But Oz Fox and Michael Sweet are good musicians. I also heard a covers album they did called The Covering
    It's good but the covers are exact replicas of the originals. Pointless.

I find Stryper hard to take seriously. Ever since I was a teenager and my friend loaned me one of their tapes. It actually had a cheese metal version of the Battle Hymn Of The Republic. I mean, does it get more cringeworthy than that? And the whole yellow and black spandex thing. Ugh.
    That's why you minimize the window (and skip certain songs).

'Sides, they're not a patch on Savatage.

Even the cover of Carry On Wayward Son has cornball, digital Hammond Organ. It's good but what is the point?

NP:Anvil......Jackhammer......

I remember when Stryper eschewed the Christian angle for one album, changed to black and silver stripes and tried to grow out their facial hair to look tough. They did a Bee Gees cover to prove their toughness.