Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roine Stolt thread!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Stardust We Are, I Am the Sun pt.2......
    These two are at or near the top for me.

I'll add Blade of Cain from Adam & Eve, plus toss in My New World from the first Transatlantic cd (he's given the main credit, with mentions of the other band members). While these are all 9.25-10's outta 10, there's a whole bunch that would rate 8.75-9.24's!

I do not like everything he has done but you gotta respect the guy for the enormous dedication with which he gets his stuff out there.
    If I would clount the minutes of music I *do* like that is still much more then most prog artist will release in their entire carreer.

My Favourite album is 'Stardust we are' closely followed by 'UNfold the future'.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Above I listed my favorite long song with vocals. My favorite short instrumental is Theme For A Hero from Back In The World Of Adventure. A very close second would be Pioneers of Aviation from Paradox Hotel
    Good instrumentals but, if ask me Flora Majora is better :P haha
    Take a listen if you haven't, it's very much worth it.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^

It took a few seconds but it finally sunk in.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I Am The Sun, parts 1 and 2. The finale of I Am The Sun part 2 is one of the best things that ever appeared on a CD.

What he said !

Roine is one of the most gentle and passive individuals I have ever met. However he has quite a formitable presence on stage. He is one of the most incredible people I have ever been on stage with! Truly an amazing individual! Back in the World of Adventures, Retropolis and Space Revolver are among my favorites along with Transatlantic: SMPTe!

The finale of I Am The Sun part 2 is one of the best things that ever appeared on a CD.
    I agree with this 100%

Since my second prog re-birth in around 1997/98, this is probably the pinnacle of anything I've heard from any band since then and is one of my favourite pieces of music of all-time.

The ending is simply symph-prog aural ecstasy akin to the likes of Awaken and Supper's Ready.

Basically, Roine is my favourite musician, composer and performer from the past 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    It took a few seconds but it finally sunk in.
    I think I am trying too hard.

Ok - what are they representing?

Ok - what are they representing?
    I'm not sure I actually get it but you gotta understand Shadow's sense of humor. Roine Stolt thread. So Shadow posts a picture of "thread." It's so lame it's hilarious .

Anyway, again I agree with all the praise Roine gets. He can be a little self indulgent but he is a hell of a musician, composer, singer, songwriter, etc. And he's self-taught and can't read music.

Hydrophonia is a great album, I really like it. I also quite like Wall Street Voodoo but I know that's not a popular opinion.

As for TFK pieces, one of my favourites is "Deaf, Numb And Blind", and I also love "Compassion" (the edited version preferably). I thought "Spinning" from The Whirlwind was a great track too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

.I'll agree about most of the music mentioned here, but I've talked to him several times and I find him to be a little "stuck up". Now, on with the love fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I thought "Spinning" from The Whirlwind was a great track too.
    Very good call! Great track!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

What do you all think of Wall Street Voodoo?

WSV is pretty awesome, IMO. I'm generally not excited about the prospect of listening to a blues album (not that this is), but WSV is much more than that. It's more 60's rock, psych, and pop with bluesy guitar playing. A fantastic collection of guitar tones and playing. And to my mind there are a lot of twists to the songs that make it more interesting than the description I gave it (i.e. it's not prog, but it's on the more interesting side of things).

my first encounter with mr Stolt was with the quirky New Grove Project cd, the guitar work on that are absolutely blistering. from there i discovered the treasure trove of Flower Kings going from Flower Power on back (love the early Kaipa stuff too, not diggin' Fantasia too much though), then the pinnacle with Space Revolver when it was first released. after Space Revolver i sort of lost interest in TFK's as well as the other Stolt projects, the stuff just started sounding 'samey' and left no lasting impressions.
    to this day i still hold The New Grove Project in very high regard in terms of a good prog album and probably Roine's best guitar work.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    WSV is pretty awesome, IMO. I'm generally not excited about the prospect of listening to a blues album (not that this is), but WSV is much more than that. It's more 60's rock, psych, and pop with bluesy guitar playing. A fantastic collection of guitar tones and playing. And to my mind there are a lot of twists to the songs that make it more interesting than the description I gave it (i.e. it's not prog, but it's on the more interesting side of things).
    Good summation. WSV is excellent.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I Am The Sun, parts 1 and 2. The finale of I Am The Sun part 2 is one of the best things that ever appeared on a CD.
    Agreed!

Ahem, sorry for the ignorance, but how do you pronounce his name?

"Roy" with an "n" on the end? (as in "son of Gloin" only with an r?)
    "Row-eye-knee"?

any combination of the above... Or did they just pick out an alternate spelling of Ronnie?

I've seen his name bantered around and was just wondering. Obviously I can't make any assessment of his musical talents, but I bet his parents searched deep in the baby names book before they found that one.

Sorry for the diversion. Maybe I'm the only one on planet earth who hasn't actually heard the name before.

I had no Idea how to pronounce Hermione Grangers name either before the Harry Potter Movies came out.

It's pronounced Roy-nuh. If you watch any of the Transatlantic documentaries (studio, tour, behind the scenes, etc.), you can hear Neal, Mike and Pete pronounce his name that way. Those Swedish have interesting first names! Roine, Jonas, Tomas...

-Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nov View Post
    I agree with this 100%

Since my second prog re-birth in around 1997/98, this is probably the pinnacle of anything I've heard from any band since then and is one of my favourite pieces of music of all-time.

The ending is simply symph-prog aural ecstasy akin to the likes of Awaken and Supper's Ready.

Basically, Roine is my favourite musician, composer and performer from the past 15 years.
    I agree. That ending is on par with those songs, and to me those are the pinnacle of prog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Letter M View Post
    It's pronounced Roy-nuh.
    In Swedish it's more like Roy-neh, i.e. short /e/ at the end.

Stolt with short /o/. Stolt means "proud" in Swedish btw...
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Roine's debut "The Flower King" is what I heard first and have been a fan ever since. His playing can be sublime and he goes the extra mile with his compositions although sometimes they can be a bit bloated. The AOM stuff is pretty damn good too, underrated IMO.

As much as I love his work I don't think the FK's have written a masterpiece...yet. Just about every album has huge highs but are generally uneven with a couple of weak tracks. Perhaps this is due to the number of double cd studio albums they've put out which come across as "let's put everything we've written in a longer release" which has the effect of watering down the overall impact, to me at least.