Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Turntable Old vinyl

Thanks everyone, definitely digging the new TT!
    My first couple transfers however were a bit embarrassing in regards to content, not one but TWO Rod McKuen albums! HOly crap, it makes Shatner sound like Shakespeare!!
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

At 45 Rod McKuen sounds like Martin Short.

Remember back in the late 70s some DJ played "Imaginary Lover" by the Atlanta Rhythm Section song at the wrong speed? The station got flooded with calls asking if it was the new Fleetwood Mac single.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Quick OT question:

I have heard that there is a trick with WD40 and really scratched/bad vinyl.......supposedly, it will totally destroy the already ruined vinyl and destroy the needle as well but that you are able to get one - and only one - very good quality playback (usually to record to another medium)

Any truth to this urban legend?
    hellenic vanagon, the D4 liquid is a solvent solution, which you use to clean the vinyl and then wipe/dry off.

When you use WD-40 you are applying oil, in a solvent, to the surface. The solvent will dry-off but the oil will remain behind in the grooves of the vinyl.

Do you not find that repeated application of WD-40 leaves a coating on the surface which is picked up by your stylus ?

Also I would have though the oil on your vinyl will contaminate the turntable mat, record sleeves etc ?
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    thanks

The post after responded:

1)Because of, a very thin, oil film, evrything runs much better!

a)No static clics.
    b)No pops and other sounds because of dust particles. (Quiet as cd, almost).
    c)Best possible tracking, even for old very used discs.
    d)Deeper bass, clearer highs.
    e)No friction, no wear for needle and disc.
    f)Chance to increase a little the tracking force, if necessary, with no fear for bad concequences.

2)There is a waxlike residue after few days, but no problem with that, because discwasher with wd40, as shown, is applied each time, and wd40 is a terrific dissolver of, it's own and generally, wax!

3)Mat and record sleeves, (especially nylons are curling a little), are "contaminated", but this does not cause any kind of problem.

I thought that was interesting.

I ask because i am always finding beat to shit vinyl of OOP records (for cheap, too) that I would love to have the recordings of. The object here is only to capture the audio off the vinyl to a digital format than dispose of the vinyl. I may buy a decent TT at a pawn shop and give this a try sometime in the future just to see if it works. I was hoping that someone here had actually done it and could confirm/deny the urban legend

Try it and report back. I've heard of "wet playing" before, using distilled water but not using WD-40. Aside from ruining the record, ruining the paper sleeve, ruining the cover and ruining the turntable, what have you got to lose???

Try it and report back. I've heard of "wet playing" before, using distilled water but not using WD-40. Aside from ruining the record, ruining the paper sleeve, ruining the cover and ruining the turntable, what have you got to lose???
    Not a problem if the record, paper sleeve, and cover are already ruined the TT would be the issue: How many of these can be done in one sitting....if it works at all?

At 45 Rod McKuen sounds like Martin Short.
    LMAO!!!!!!

And at 16 RPM, Rod McKuen sounds like Satan incarnate

I have a pristine Discwasher system (brush) and i'm down to my final drops of old/classic formula D-4 fluid.

Is there either a suitable over-the-counter replacement or a home-brewed formula anyone would care to share?

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I have a pristine Discwasher system (brush) and i'm down to my final drops of old/classic formula D-4 fluid.

Is there either a suitable over-the-counter replacement or a home-brewed formula anyone would care to share?
    I've used Disc Doctor Miracle solution and would highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

Simply this, 1/4 isopropyl alcohol (99% is the best), 3/4 DISTILLED water and a couple drops of Dawn diswashing liquid or PhotoFlow. Mix well.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Pro-ject Debut Carbon, with Ortofon 2M Blue (which was an upgrade). My "70s stereo" has an old Technics direct-drive!
    I have a Pro-Ject Xperience Classic with a Sumiko Blue Point 2. Vinyl I would have thrown away long ago has new life. Pro-Ject tables are great.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Disk Doctor fluid and brushes will crush any home made washing solution. I've used it for many years now and couldn;t ask for better. Of course, with any cleaning you must use clean water to rinse away the residu. That is a key step IMO.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Banned
    I got a Jensen stereo with CD player and turntable.