Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of the Eagles DVD !

History of the Eagles DVD !

Joe Walsh & Timothy Schmidt have just been interviewed on Later...with Jools Holland promoting the new DVD . The third disc of the Deluxe edition is a full live concert from 1977.

Auto buy for me . Any other fans on board PE ?

I want to see it, but probably will rent and won't buy.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I want to see it, but probably will rent and won't buy.

Steve Sly
    If you can access BBC it's showing this weekend !

The showed History Of The Eagles on Showtime last month. The thing is something like 3 and a quarter hours, I had to catch like three or four viewings just to catch the whole thing. I thought the best bit was they were talking about the charity concert they played, where Glenn Frey and Don Felder are trading insults back and forth. And then they go and play audio of the event itself. Real professional guys, trading foul mouthed insults and threats of physical violence, close enough to a microphone that your sound engineer can get a crystal clear recording. One can only imagine what the audience must have thought on the night.

The other thing that got me was that live footage from the Hotel California. It looks to be the same concert the Hotel California video was shot at. And the picture quality is so much nicer than what the Hotel California video ever looked (even now when VH-1 Classic shows the video, it still looks grainy, like it's taken from a 30 year old copy).

And it was cool that they used a bit of Journey Of The Sorcerer (hey, where have I heard that title lately?) during the bit where they were talking about why Bernie Leadon left the band. They didn't actually mention the piece, but it was still kinda neat to hear it used.

Oh, and I loved Timothy B. Schmidt's comment on the sort of "on the verge of breaking up" state the band was in when he joined, "All bands are in danger of breaking up at all times", as if to was to big deal, totally business as usual, to be in a band where there was at least two or three different camps, all of them more or less openly hostile towards each other.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Lots of Eagles haters here. I don't hate them, but I'm pretty burnt out on them.

Wasn't Timmy B Schmidt brought into Poco when Bernie Leadon left to join the Eagles? Then Schmidt left Poco to join the Eagles... it was like Poco was the Eagles minor league team.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Lots of Eagles haters here. I don't hate them, but I'm pretty burnt out on them.

Wasn't Timmy B Schmidt brought into Poco when Bernie Leadon left to join the Eagles? Then Schmidt left Poco to join the Eagles... it was like Poco was the Eagles minor league team.
    You mean Randy Meisner. Timothy B Schmidt replaced Meisner in Poco, then replaced him again in The Eagles when Randy got sick of singing Take It To The Limit.

it's a great documentary, i saw it a few times on Showtime. although The Eagles were a great band, they weren't nice people. they treated each other like crap as well as others. it was a part of the band i wish i didn't know about. but that 1977 concert would be great to see. i'll get it.

I too caught the documentary on Showtime. Even though I'm not really an Eagles fan (I do enjoy a few songs) I really liked it. Two things I got from it were: 1. Glen Frey was the main leader. I thought he and Henley co-led the band and 2. Don Felder was kind of a whinny dick. Bummer, because I've always liked his solos, especially on 'One of These Nights' an Hotel California.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    although The Eagles were a great band, they weren't nice people. they treated each other like crap as well as others. it was a part of the band i wish i didn't know about. but that 1977 concert would be great to see. i'll get it.
    You could say that about a lot of bands. Look at Deep Purple, Yes or Pink Floyd, for instance. Some of the stuff I've learned from watching documentaries or reading interviews with some of the members of those bands I wish I could unlearn.

Banned
    I've been wanting to get this CD. Big Eagles fan. I would have to be since I just got their recently released studio albums boxset, even though I have them on CD previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    If you can access BBC it's showing this weekend !
    We get BBC America, but not sure if that is the same thing?

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    I too caught the documentary on Showtime. Even though I'm not really an Eagles fan (I do enjoy a few songs) I really liked it. Two things I got from it were: 1. Glen Frey was the main leader. I thought he and Henley co-led the band and 2. Don Felder was kind of a whinny dick. Bummer, because I've always liked his solos, especially on 'One of These Nights' an Hotel California.
    Felder’s book that came out a few years ago is a great read. It gives a bit of a different side to the story than Frey / Henley. No matter who you believe it is certainly an entertaining read, not only about the Eagles, but the whole southern California music scene back in the day.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Felder’s book that came out a few years ago is a great read. It gives a bit of a different side to the story than Frey / Henley. No matter who you believe it is certainly an entertaining read, not only about the Eagles, but the whole southern California music scene back in the day.

Steve Sly
    I heard him interviewed on a radio show called Off The Record. I find it interesting that he knew people like Tom Petty, Stephen Stills, and Bernie Leadon before becoming an Eagle.

We get BBC America, but not sure if that is the same thing?

Steve Sly
    No, it's not the same thing. The BBC, in the UK, actually operates numerous TV and radio stations. BBC America, though a part of the BBC, actually shows a lot of programs that aren't produced by the BBC. If I remember correctly, some of the programs they were showing a few years ago were actually shown on ITV or Channel 4 in the UK.

And now BBC America is showing signs of "network rot" (I think that's what it's called when a cable TV network starts to abandon it's original program). They're showing lots of Hollywood movies now, plus reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation and the new show Orphan Black seems to be mainly a Canadian production.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    No, it's not the same thing. The BBC, in the UK, actually operates numerous TV and radio stations. BBC America, though a part of the BBC, actually shows a lot of programs that aren't produced by the BBC. If I remember correctly, some of the programs they were showing a few years ago were actually shown on ITV or Channel 4 in the UK.

And now BBC America is showing signs of "network rot" (I think that's what it's called when a cable TV network starts to abandon it's original program). They're showing lots of Hollywood movies now, plus reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation and the new show Orphan Black seems to be mainly a Canadian production.
    Damn it!! Don't get BBC America any more.

Walsh & Frey were interviewed again today on another BBC show . Didnt know Joe & Ringo Starr's wives are sisters !

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I heard him interviewed on a radio show called Off The Record. I find it interesting that he knew people like Tom Petty, Stephen Stills, and Bernie Leadon before becoming an Eagle.
    Yea, it has been a while since I read the book, but if I remember correctly Felder, Petty, and Leadon came out of the same high school in Gainesville Florida which is pretty amazing. Felder also took guitar lessons from Duane Allman also part of the Gainesville music scene. I can’t remember when Stills came into the picture, but Felder had a pretty impressive pedigree long before The Eagles came along.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

I agree, BBC America used to have quite a bit of interesting programming that came out of the UK, but they do seem to have gone downhill of late. It was also interesting to get a different take on the news from what U.S. based news agencies reported, but the news coverage seems to have slacked off a bit as well.

Steve Sly

Steve Sly
    Thanks for the recommendation and I think I will check is one of these days.

I remember when he was on Howard Stern promoting it a few years back and yeah, his story did differ, but the audio from their fund raising show for that senator didn't put him in a good light. He even confered in the doc that he was ignorant when it came to politics and didn't think that they should be playing for free. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed his stories on Stern and felt that his side of the story was equally as legit.

I agree, BBC America used to have quite a bit of interesting programming that came out of the UK, but they do seem to have gone downhill of late. It was also interesting to get a different take on the news from what U.S. based news agencies reported, but the news coverage seems to have slacked off a bit as well.

Steve Sly
    Tru dat!!

Banned
    Tom Leadon (Bernie's brother) was a member of Mudcrutch w/ Petty. Incidentally, if you haven't heard their reunion album from '08, then you're really missing a treat.

Where was this 1977 Eagles concert from, btw?

Banned
    Yea, it has been a while since I read the book, but if I remember correctly Felder, Petty, and Leadon came out of the same high school in Gainesville Florida which is pretty amazing. Felder also took guitar lessons from Duane Allman also part of the Gainesville music scene. I can’t remember when Stills came into the picture, but Felder had a pretty impressive pedigree long before The Eagles came along.

Steve Sly
    Stills was in Felder's first band.

Steve Sly
    Well, it happens to all cable TV networks. Everyone talks about how MTV went down the toilet, but they all do eventually. Some still manage to show worthwhile programs (like Cartoon Network and BBC America) while others (like MTV and the original VH-1 service), not so much.

Of all the services that were around back in the 80's that still exist, I don't think there's any that I still enjoy on the level I did even in the 90's, and a lot of the other ones, even relatively newish stuff like VH-1 Classic Food Network aren't what they were 10 years ago.

For the most part, I still enjoy watching BBC America, they still have Top Gear (plus the programs that Hammond and May moonlight on), Doctor Who, and I'm enjoying Orphan Black quite a bit. I never really watched their news programs, so I don't know how much they've changed.

Oh, and another big difference between the BBC as it is in the UK and BBC America is that in the UK, they don't have commercials (that's what the whole TV tax thing is for, I guess). Jeremy Clarkson is fond of poking fun of the "unique way the BBC is funded" and how it's the reason why Top Gear is so tacky.

By contrast, BBC America does show commercials, and most shows are edited to fit into conventional US TV program time slots (including ad breaks), and typically also for content (interestingly, on BBC America, you can say "shit", but apparently not "fuck"...I've noticed the same discrepancy on the Logo channel). So if they do show History Of The Eagles (which is unlikely, since it was just shown on Showtime, so it'll be awhile before any version of it appears on basic cable), it'll be heavily edited, with all the profanity bleeped out, etc.

Could have sworn a few weeks back I saw something on Twitter that Joe was talking to Leadon about rejoining the band which would be awesome if he can still play.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    Could have sworn a few weeks back I saw something on Twitter that Joe was talking to Leadon about rejoining the band which would be awesome if he can still play.
    There are rumors going around that Leadon will be a guest on their tour. Haven't heard anything about him rejoining the band.
    Last edited by JIF; 04-26-2013 at 07:07 AM.