Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese Prog?

When I was in college, some guy who was Chinese(or Chinese American)was playing some music on his walkman or whatever it was at the time(this was around 90/91) and I think he said it was Cantonese music. It sounded like prog to me. I have no idea what it was though but it sounded like what I imagined Japanese symph prog from that time to sound like. By then I was aware of prog from foreign countries. Like Kristi though, I kick myself for not asking the guy the name of the band. A year or two later(92 I think) I saw some Mexican or South American band on the Spanish channel who were playing very symph sounding prog. All I remember about that band was that the lead singer was bald. Needless to say, I never found out the name of that band either.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 04-25-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Because it's a huge country and I never hear about any Chinese prog. A quick Google search turned up three bands -- count them THREE -- on ProgArchives.

That's an appalling informational black hole.
    I would also assume that the Chinese population wasn't exposed to much Western music during the formative 'prog' years, and doesn't have the wealth of rock tradition to draw from compared to most any other country who have a prog output.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Is there any good Chinese prog?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Why?
    Because he just heard some an hour ago, and now he wants to hear some more.

There's one Chinese band on the space rock compilation "Psychedelic World Music: Discovery" from Trail Records (USA). The name of the band is Zhaoze. I made a similar observation about the dearth of progressive bands from there. I also predict we will be witnessing a Progressive explosion in our lifetime from China.

More info about this comp here: http://undertheradarcds.blogspot.com...rld-music.html