Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name your fav classical or avantgarde instrumental Zappa album

Name your fav classical or avantgarde instrumental Zappa album

For me it's a toss up between The Perfect Stranger and Francesco Zappa....but Perfect Stranger is my fav.

Either Lumpy Gravy or Jazz From Hell

Also available, for Zappa newbies to listen to and pick from, are things like The Yellow Shark, the LSO albums, Ensemble Ambrosius albums, Orchestral Favorites.

Albums like Hot Rats and Burnt Weeny Sandwich, although almost totally instrumental I consider more as prog than avantgarde/classical and the shut up/guitar albums are mostly rock/jazz.
    Last edited by PeterG; 04-22-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Also available, for Zappa newbies to listen to and pick from, are things like The Yellow Shark, the LSO albums, Ensemble Ambrosius albums, Orchestral Favorites.

Albums like Hot Rats and Burnt Weeny Sandwich, although instrumental I consider more as prog than avantgarde/classical and the shut up/guitar albums are mostly rock/jazz.
    Neither of those albums are all-instrumental, anyway.

Yellow Shark hands down. It's also the only one Zappa was happy with.

Civilization Phaze III.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Yellow Shark

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Civilization Phaze III.

Debateable whether it can be considered instrumental as the whole thing is built around a lot of talking and Zappa himself called it an opera iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Neither of those albums are all-instrumental, anyway.
    Yea, I know that, but you know what I mean.

Haven't heard them all but I'll go with Lumpy Gravy.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Another good one might be the Strictly Genteel comp, but since I had all the source material already I never picked it up.

If I could make a comp of instrumental selections from Uncle Meat, Burnt Weenie and 200 Motels, then I'd have my favorite avant instrumental FZ album. That's the height of his compositional prowess for me, and UM is my favorite FZ album.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Debateable whether it can be considered instrumental as the whole thing is built around a lot of talking and Zappa himself called it an opera iirc.
    The talking is vastly outweighed by the music. Except for the slightly lengthier stretches of 1991 dialogue in the middle of disc 2, most of it is just brief snippets in between the "real" tracks. And if you're going to disqualify albums that include spoken word segments, you have to reject Lumpy Gravy and Yellow Shark as well.

Yea, you make a good point there. At least it isn't singing!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    If I could make a comp of instrumental selections from Uncle Meat, Burnt Weenie and 200 Motels, then I'd have my favorite avant instrumental FZ album.
    I would go with that. In fact, if someone makes a good playlist for that let me know!

His greatest instrumental "art music" compositions ever, for me, are to be found on Uncle Meat. Other than that I love Lumpy Gravy, Orchestral Favorites and The Yellow Shark.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think Strictly Genteel compilation is the most representative instrumental Zappa.
    Of regular studio albums, I'll take Orchestral Favorites for proposed topic.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like a positive spin better - Hot Rats.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I like a positive spin better - Hot Rats.
    Sorry to be a nitpicker, but Willie The Pimp on Hot Rats has vocals, of course.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    Sorry to be a nitpicker, but Willie The Pimp on Hot Rats has vocals, of course.
    No problem. If you look at the original post it refers to classical or instrumental.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    No problem. If you look at the original post it refers to classical or instrumental.
    Gotcha. Willie The Pimp on Hot Rats is neither. (But the rest of the record is instrumental which i guess is what you were referring to.)
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    Gotcha. Willie The Pimp on Hot Rats is neither. (But the rest of the record is instrumental which i guess is what you were referring to.)
    Ah...I misunderstood - I thought of "classic" versus "classical".

Well, I don't have all of them, but of the ones I do have my favorite mostly or entirely instrumental Zappa albums are:
    Uncle Meat
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Guitar

Apart from the orchestral records, Jazz From Hell and the guitar solo records, I don't think Frank did very many all instrumental records. I think always included something on each record that could theoretically become a fluke novelty hit (a process that eventually paid off with Valley Girl).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 04-22-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Yea classical not classic...but although with just one vocal I'd easily accept Hot Rats as instrumental for the purposes of this thread if it were classical or avantgarde, but it isn't, it's prog. For the record my fav Zappa prog album

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, I don't have all of them, but of the ones I do have my favorite mostly or entirely instrumental Zappa albums are:
    Uncle Meat
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Guitar

Apart from the orchestral records, Jazz From Hell and the guitar solo records, I don't think Frank did very many all instrumental records. I think always included something on each record that could theoretically become a fluke novelty hit (a process that eventually paid off with Valley Girl).
    This isn't a thread baout fav Zappa albums in general or instrumentals in general:

What I wrote earlier,
    "Also available, for Zappa newbies to listen to and pick from, are things like The Yellow Shark, the LSO albums, Ensemble Ambrosius albums, Orchestral Favorites.
    Albums like Hot Rats and Burnt Weeny Sandwich, although almost totally instrumental I consider more as prog than avantgarde/classical and the shut up/guitar albums are mostly rock/jazz. "