Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Genesis - And Then There Were Three

I have always liked ATTWT and listened to it a lot---I think it's missing one thing--Steve Hackett---as the guitar leads are awkward and not fully realized as they are trying to sound like Hackett---but don't achieve that end. They always have to refer to missing member--Squonk about Peter---Down and Out about Steve and of course the title----they should have done a Phil angry exit song on Calling all Stations.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I have always liked ATTWT and listened to it a lot---I think it's missing one thing--Steve Hackett---as the guitar leads are awkward and not fully realized as they are trying to sound like Hackett---but don't achieve that end. They always have to refer to missing member--Squonk about Peter---Down and Out about Steve and of course the title----they should have done a Phil angry exit song on Calling all Stations.
    This was always my take as well, probably the weakest guitar LP Genesis made. Understandable since it was Mike's first crack at it. Now I'm a Genesis old timer who did not stop listening to Genesis after Pete and Steve left in fact I think every LP they made had great songs on them. Having said that when fellow members put out their best to worst type lists I would always put ATTWT at the bottom of my Genesis list. I do think there are some real gems on there and all the songs I felt were good just not great... until the last few days. I saw the ATTWT tour for the first time 40 years ago yesterday... (friggin time flies!) so I listened yesterday to the LP in my car to reminisce and really liked hearing it again so I took it for a spin on my home stereo this morning... very loudly! The drumming is brilliant as are the keyboards and bass. I still find this to be Mikes weakest lead guitar LP but he does have some good moments. The Lady Lies is top notch, amazing. Tony's keys, Mike bass and phil's drums just kill... the live version is a must hear! Daryl really shreds on that.

But there is really only one guitar solo on Burning Rope which is an excellent one I have always thought. Of course I miss Hackett too and we cant know what his contribution would have been.

Squonk is about Peter Gabriel? I've never heard that before. There's a Gabriel reference on the Los Endos fade-out, I wouldn't have thought they'd also do a whole song about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Squonk is about Peter Gabriel? I've never heard that before. There's a Gabriel reference on the Los Endos fade-out, I wouldn't have thought they'd also do a whole song about him.
    Written by Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford, the title of this song refers to an imaginary creature. According to the legend, the Squonk dissolves into a pool of tears to escape from being captured. The Squonk was mentioned by Argentinian writer Jorge Luis Borges in his book El Libro de los Seres Imaginarios (Book of Imaginary Beings) edited on 1969. This was an expanded edition from his original book from 1957: Manual de Zoologia Fantastica (Handbook of Fantastic Zoology). The first book where the creature was ever mentioned is Fearsome Creatures of the Lumberwoods, With a Few Desert and Mountain Beasts (1910) written by William Thomas Cox.

Yep, I got a chuckle out of that. And I always thought Down and Out was about the music industry in general, not about Steve. I guess you "learn" something new when 5 year old threads are rebirthed....after 3 years....

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Yep, I got a chuckle out of that. And I always thought Down and Out was about the music industry in general, not about Steve. I guess you "learn" something new when 5 year old threads are rebirthed....after 3 years....
    I did spot it was an old thread but what the hell. And yes, what you said about 'Down and Out', but then when you think about the line "A more commercial view"...

I did spot it was an old thread but what the hell. And yes, what you said about 'Down and Out', but then when you think about the line "A more commercial view"...
    Well, you didn't resurrect the thread, and like you I don't think Squonk had anything to do with Peter--olivetti's post above is spot on. Down and Out seems to be a song pokin fun at the record co guys who are pushing the band for a hit, and the pressure to stay on top lest some young new band "takes your place"; similar theme to Floyd's Have a Cigar. Don't think it was slagging Steve at all and that previous poster was reading way too much into those tunes.
    And I always thought it was pretty cool that Genesis added that "theres an angel standing in the sun...free to get back home" line from Suppers Ready at the end of Los Endos---far from being nasty or negative a very nice tribute/homage to their old band mate--and friend-- Peter.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-16-2018 at 08:49 AM.

ATTWT is a great LP. It was also the first Genesis tour I attended.
    The Prog Corner

I've always had a soft spot for 3. I was quite young when it came out but the previous Christmas my folks had given me Wind and Wuthering because I had remarked in the record shop (my mom was shopping for Barbara Streisand albums lol) that I thought the cover was cool. Back in those relative dark ages before the complete history of farts was available on my phone in a single click, I didn't even know that Hackett had left. I assumed that was him playing the solo on Burning Rope! Then after a couple of spins I read the liner notes to the lp and realized he was missing. I've continued to enjoy the album since then, save for the track 'Ballad of Big' which is just awful imo.

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    Written by Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford, the title of this song refers to an imaginary creature. .
    Steely Dan got the jump on Genesis by mentioning the Squonk in "Any Major Dude Will Tell You."

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    Written by Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford, the title of this song refers to an imaginary creature. According to the legend, the Squonk dissolves into a pool of tears to escape from being captured. The Squonk was mentioned by Argentinian writer Jorge Luis Borges in his book El Libro de los Seres Imaginarios (Book of Imaginary Beings) edited on 1969. This was an expanded edition from his original book from 1957: Manual de Zoologia Fantastica (Handbook of Fantastic Zoology). The first book where the creature was ever mentioned is Fearsome Creatures of the Lumberwoods, With a Few Desert and Mountain Beasts (1910) written by William Thomas Cox.
    That's Gabriel in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That's Gabriel in a nutshell.
    Where he belongs.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Where he belongs.

Rutherford’s guitar solo in Burning Rope is excellent - melodic, riffy, fits the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Rutherford’s guitar solo in Burning Rope is excellent - melodic, riffy, fits the music.

Probably the most Hackett-like riff he's ever done, off the top of my head. I remember checking the album cover credits again when I first heard that tune, checking to see if Hackett guested on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Yet Tony said in the 2009 book that Hackett would have created a much better solo on Burning Rope.

they should have done a Phil angry exit song on Calling all Stations.
    pretty sure you could imagine a number of songs on calling all stations as being about phil. just pretend it is a band singing to phil rather than someone singing to a lover.